Princess provide COVID testing during cruise?

richmke

12 hours ago, nocl said:

Will have to wait until the cruise lines announce how they are going to meet the CDC requirement for tests at both embarkation and disembarkation.

I would expect that the tests, as is being used by the EU companies, will be antigen tests that are almost immediate in getting results.  They do have a higher amount of false positives, but those are usually then followed up with PCR, which if the equipment is close by and available can be run in a couple of hours.

Thank you for your response.  You must be in the medical field to know so much about this.   As with everyone else I am sure, we are anxious to go in January 2022, 16th, and hoping we will be able to cruise.  It is a 42 day, all B2Bs.  

12 hours ago, brisalta said:

I had a PCR test the other week. The result came back in about an hour and it was only that long because the sample had to go to another building to be processed.

Wow.  Thank you.  Someone mentioned to me yesterday that people they know got the covid test and it was negative, but 3 days later they had symptoms and were tested with it.  I wonder if on the ship we will have to be in the isolation bubble if we get it onboard.  That would totally suck.

My father passed away on Wednesday. He is in England. I inquired from the British Embassy as to the regulations for me to go from Florida to UK for the funeral and spend some time with my Mother. I was told that even though I had received the first dose of vaccine I would have to test negative no more than 72 hrs before being allowed on the flight. Then in England travel straight to my family home and isolate for 10 days. I would have permission to attend the funeral only during that time. No mention was made of having another test afterwards to return home to Florida so that must be new information. I am sure that similar requirements will be in effect for cruising.

This pandemic has a lot to answer for.

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

My father passed away on Wednesday. He is in England. I inquired from the British Embassy as to the regulations for me to go from Florida to UK for the funeral and spend some time with my Mother. I was told that even though I had received the first dose of vaccine I would have to test negative no more than 72 hrs before being allowed on the flight. Then in England travel straight to my family home and isolate for 10 days. I would have permission to attend the funeral only during that time. No mention was made of having another test afterwards to return home to Florida so that must be new information. I am sure that similar requirements will be in effect for cruising.

The British Embassy won't care what you do when you come back....the U.S. cares.

Look at the link in the first post of this thread..

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

My father passed away on Wednesday...

Condolences to you and your mom!  My DH's best friend of 50 years died (not from covid) at the end of March and his daughter who lives in England and has dual nationality (American/British) wasn't allowed to travel at all.  Your last sentence is spot on.

Edited by capriccio

12 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I love to know how much the test will cost. Have you ever had to see a Doctor on a cruise ship ??

$$$$$$$.  I don’t think your insurance will pay for the test. 
Tony

I've been to the medical center on a Princess cruise once.  It looks like everybody's bill, including medication, for routine visits was around $130 at that time (that was approx 2014 so prices could have jumped a lot by then).  I only knew that  because it was so busy in there so a lot of people got time to get to know each other.  The travel insurance, if purchased, reimbursed those costs ... but, of the people I saw in the office (we had a long wait so quite a bit of time to discuss), it was for infections, rather small injuries, sea sickness, etc.  

I agree that the insurance probably won't pay for this test, though.  Princess may cover the cost for tests, though....maybe? Maybe not?  I know there are free testing sites all throughout California but, funded through tax dollars (or the debt).  

Of note, the Oakland airport had a program that if you were flying to Hawaii, they would administer the rapid test you for CoVid for no charge.  SFO also had rapid testing available and I believe the charge was around $130 pp.  Appointments are required and you were told to schedule it at least an hour in advance of your recommended arrival time at the airport (so, about 3-4 hours prior to your flight).  I'm not sure if the FREE rapid testing is even available at Oakland airport any longer.  It sounds as though they struck a deal with the tourism board over in Hawaii.  Now, in California, if you leave the state or go over 150 miles from your home, you must quarantine for 10 days when you return ... or so we are told.  

My son has to test every time he works ... sometimes the day before ... sometimes the day of, goes in, swab, goes to his car for 15 minutes, gets the all clear, goes back in and can't leave the premise until the event is over.

so rapid testing both pre and post cruise is available - at least for a price 

Side note added ... just got back home after taking the first dose of the vaccine - Pfizer - administered by Walgreens - very smooth operation

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Altered state doesn't tell us much for your vaccine...what State are you? 

Did they go by Age group?

Seems our state is back of the pack, and end of the line.....😔

Florida - wife is a frontline healthcare worker, I was able to tag-a-long as a spouse, but am in the 65+ group

we will get our second dose on 2/5/21 - same place ( her worksite )

5 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

So sorry for your loss.  You are not alone in the scenario.  Many have had to travel for family emergencies and some have been granted humanitarian exceptions.  Please take care to protect your mom when you do visit her.  

It would be a great service if they good offer it before boarding. The problem is that it is taking a day or two to get results and moreover, these results may not be accurate as it take two to three tests to make sure that you are not Covid positive so I very doubt it .. 

My most recent travel experience:

6 days before my flight - go online, make appointment with Walgreens for COVID test (as required by the State of Hawaii).  Did this at midnight, as soon as day opened.  Covered by my great insurance.  Not sure rapid travel tests at the airport would meet this qualification.

71 hours before flight - take nasal swab test from car

Received results within 48 hours of test.  (Not a guarantee to receive results back within 72 hours). Stress level was elevated waiting to see if I would make the deadline. 

Went on line to upload Negative test and fill out the necessary state forms.  Received QR code.  If you do not receive your results BEFORE your flight, you are required to quarantine upon arrival.  No accommodations for IF you received your negative test in-flight.

No mandatory requirements at LAX.  Arrived in HNL.  Greeted by workers who took my temperature and scanned my code.  

Received a “complimentary” post travel COVID test within 3 days of arrival.  That came back within 24 hours (negative).  Very limited contacts while in Hawaii.  Pretty sure I was “safe”.  No pre-travel test required on return flight.

Returning to California, I had to quarantine for 10 days if no symptoms.

Moving on to a cruise to a foreign port in June 2021.  I am doing a pre-cruise hotel stay for 3 nights.  Returning day of disembarkation.  As of today:  I would need to take a pre-travel COVID test before getting on the plane to UK.  I would probably have to take another test before getting on the ship (where would I be able to do this?).

I would have to take another travel COVID test post cruise to travel back to US.  I could probably take this test on a Princess ship, but it would have to be sent to a land based approved lab.  Would it get back before I get on a plane the same day?

I would probably have to quarantine when I return to my home.

In addition, I will probably need a vaccine (double dose) by the end of April.  Vaccine and pre-travel COVID test are independent of each other.  Both will probably be required for another year.

Is it worth traveling by air or ship at the moment ??????

On 1/15/2021 at 6:13 AM, LACruiser88 said:

I'm sure there will be many regulation changes by the time we are allowed to cruise again...

I agree and it pointless speculating. At the rate Princess are cancelling cruises, by the time cruising starts up again most of the world will be vaccinated and many of the expected protocols may well be unnecessary. That's me speculating - which is also pointless.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Wow.  Thank you.  Someone mentioned to me yesterday that people they know got the covid test and it was negative, but 3 days later they had symptoms and were tested with it.  I wonder if on the ship we will have to be in the isolation bubble if we get it onboard.  That would totally suck.

Well that is why you need to stay masked up, wash hands and distance. Even if you test negative one day you can be exposed another day and infected.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Moving on to a cruise to a foreign port in June 2021.  I am doing a pre-cruise hotel stay for 3 nights.  Returning day of disembarkation.  As of today:  I would need to take a pre-travel COVID test before getting on the plane to UK.  I would probably have to take another test before getting on the ship (where would I be able to do this?).

And as of Monday;

"And upon arrival, you must then quarantine for 10 days, not leaving your home for any reason at all or take another test on Day 5 and wait for proof of another negative result."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/01/15/uk-travelers-must-have-negative-covid-test-quarantine/4176381001/

The US now requires a negative test before boarding the plane to return. So I will have two tests and 10 days isolation when I get there and 14 days when I return!  What fun! At least I have permission to attend my Dad's funeral during my isolation time. The new 5 day test and release program has been suspended now according to the UK Embassy.

Edited by gmjc2

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So sorry for your loss.  You are not alone in the scenario.  Many have had to travel for family emergencies and some have been granted humanitarian exceptions.  Please take care to protect your mom when you do visit her.  

Luckily my Mom has had both here vaccinations already, she will be 99 on Feb 2 nd so was one of the first to receive it in UK. I have only had the first. My sister lives next door to her and has had her first also. 

19 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Seems our state is back of the pack, and end of the line.....😔

Yep... we are are the worst in covid cases and sticking needles in arms. 

Not good 😞

Edited by AZjohn

23 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

I am so sorry for your loss...I know what it is like to loose a parent and not be there at that time, but for you not to spend time with your Mom and family now.  That is...well...I have no words for it truly.  Prayers go to you and your family for strength and courage during this most difficult time in your life.

Here you cannot even be in the room with your spouse if they have covid, even if they are dying.  Same with nursing homes, not allowed to say your good-byes.

Luckily in UK they allowed my family to go to his bedside in the care home. He did not have Covid. 

Thanks for all the condolences. I will stop posting on this subject so that the thread can get back to topic. Thanks all!

Edited by gmjc2

21 hours ago, voljeep said:

My son has to test every time he works ... sometimes the day before ... sometimes the day of, goes in, swab, goes to his car for 15 minutes, gets the all clear, goes back in and can't leave the premise until the event is over.

so rapid testing both pre and post cruise is available - at least for a price 

Side note added ... just got back home after taking the first dose of the vaccine - Pfizer - administered by Walgreens - very smooth operation

Here in PA, I just checked yesterday, and there are no vaccines for anyone other than medical, well Phase 1.  I assume you are from Florida?

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My most recent travel experience:

6 days before my flight - go online, make appointment with Walgreens for COVID test (as required by the State of Hawaii).  Did this at midnight, as soon as day opened.  Covered by my great insurance.  Not sure rapid travel tests at the airport would meet this qualification.

71 hours before flight - take nasal swab test from car

Received results within 48 hours of test.  (Not a guarantee to receive results back within 72 hours). Stress level was elevated waiting to see if I would make the deadline. 

Went on line to upload Negative test and fill out the necessary state forms.  Received QR code.  If you do not receive your results BEFORE your flight, you are required to quarantine upon arrival.  No accommodations for IF you received your negative test in-flight.

No mandatory requirements at LAX.  Arrived in HNL.  Greeted by workers who took my temperature and scanned my code.  

Received a “complimentary” post travel COVID test within 3 days of arrival.  That came back within 24 hours (negative).  Very limited contacts while in Hawaii.  Pretty sure I was “safe”.  No pre-travel test required on return flight.

Returning to California, I had to quarantine for 10 days if no symptoms.

I would have to take another travel COVID test post cruise to travel back to US.  I could probably take this test on a Princess ship, but it would have to be sent to a land based approved lab.  Would it get back before I get on a plane the same day?

I would probably have to quarantine when I return to my home.

In addition, I will probably need a vaccine (double dose) by the end of April.  Vaccine and pre-travel COVID test are independent of each other.  Both will probably be required for another year.

Is it worth traveling by air or ship at the moment ??????

I'd feel safer driving to the port, which is what we will do in 2022.  In last week of February 2020 got off the Crown Princess, we were keeping our distance from everyone and it worked, no sickness at all, but on the 2.40 hour flight on Southwest home, there was a guy behind us that coughed the entire time, and it was a chest cough.  I heard him telling people he was so sick.  Airline did nothing, didn't even offer anyone a mask.  Anyway, got home and I was sick for 28 days.  Sicker than I ever was that my husband didn't leave the house.  My husband was sick too, but he was much better after 14 days.  I slept downstairs and used the bathroom downstairs so he wouldn't get it.  My friend said we probably got covid from the plane.  Not going through that as much as I hate to drive to the port.

5 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Luckily my Mom has had both here vaccinations already, she will be 99 on Feb 2 nd so was one of the first to receive it in UK. I have only had the first. My sister lives next door to her and has had her first also. 

Before my Dad passed, we were not going to go on vacation but Mom and Dad wanted us to go and he was doing very good (they were living with us for 6 months and we were taking care of them both...as parent they knew we needed that time).  Then we got the news he took a turn for the worse...Mom said he was holding on to see you.  Then trying to get home, doing all we could, and my sister said to my Dad holding his hand, it's me your favorite (which was what I always said to my dad...my Dad always said we sounded alike and had to ask who was who on the phone--but when I said it's your favorite...he knew it was me) and he squeezed her hand and he was gone.  For so long I was angry she did that and I could have been there in 6 hours, but I was being selfish with his suffering.  Miss my Mom and Dad and they will forever be in my heart, as will your Dad.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:48 AM, richmke said:

If your cruise ends in a foreign country, then you will need a COVID test to board the plan to return to the USA. Will Princess provide the COVID test?

I think the cost / paying for depends on WHO is asking that you are tested before boarding a plane. Guarantee every country/locale is going to want something different.

I don’t think it has anything to do with a cruise line once you disembark a ship as you could be going anywhere or doing anything on land. 

Unless YOU can organise something before boarding a ship so that the ship pays for / includes a test in the cost, I do think the cost should be yours. You are choosing the final destination, you are choosing the transport carrier to return home and I think in the future a Negative Covid Test is going to be a given necessity. Just my thoughts.....

Just an aside, the sooner a simple saliva / swab test with results in minutes is developed and accepted the better IMHO.

Off to UK this weekend for the funeral. Test before I go then 10 days quarantine, then the rest of the time in lockdown. Then test before I can board the plane to return with a special screening in Miami before I can return home to Orlando area plus 14 days quarantine at home!!!!

What fun!!!  Pandemic you suck!!!