A few questions

tipsygirl

We have sailed on Viking River, but are new to VO, so have a few questions.

First questions are about coffee. I know there will be a coffee maker in our suite, I think the kind that has the little capsules. We like real fresh brewed coffee, preferably from freshly ground beans, with cream. And even better a latte or cappuccino from freshly ground beans.Is there somewhere on the ship that we can get this kind of coffee early in the morning? How good is room service coffee?
Second question - if we use  a Viking transfer from the airport to the ship, will our luggage be taken directly from the airport to our suite, or will we need to claim it on arrival at the ship and then check it in for delivery.

Cindy

Don't drink coffee, so can't help on the quality of the 24/7 cabin service. However, the Living Room Bar is open mornings and they have all the tools for making specialty tea and coffee.

With respect to the luggage, it most likely depends on the port. In San Pedro, the driver unloaded the bags from the van, but we had to walk them across the road to hand-over to the Longshoremen. In some ports, the Longshoremen may pick them up directly from the van/bus.

Once you hand over the cases, next time you see them is when they are delivered to your cabin.

6 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

We have sailed on Viking River, but are new to VO, so have a few questions.

First questions are about coffee. I know there will be a coffee maker in our suite, I think the kind that has the little capsules. We like real fresh brewed coffee, preferably from freshly ground beans, with cream. And even better a latte or cappuccino from freshly ground beans.Is there somewhere on the ship that we can get this kind of coffee early in the morning? How good is room service coffee?
Second question - if we use  a Viking transfer from the airport to the ship, will our luggage be taken directly from the airport to our suite, or will we need to claim it on arrival at the ship and then check it in for delivery.

Cindy

There is a barista at the Viking Living Room bar who makes coffee to order.  It's open around 6 am (6:30?).  Can get it in a to go cup or a proper cup with saucer.  I did not discover this until my 2nd VO.  I am an early riser and that is my first AM stop, although I have never braved going there in my robe (but I would like to).  I too like cream or half & half at least in my coffee.  The single serving coffee in the room is good however there is no cream.  Our next cruise, I will have that taken out and replaced with a tea service.  My DH drinks tea and I hear the Brits can get some sort of tea maker instead.  Room service coffee is the same as in the breakfast venues, comes in a carafe and you can write in your "milk" choice on the menu.

As far as transfers, you pick up your luggage at the airport, clear customs, Viking meets you, takes it and puts it on the bus -  the next time you see it is in your room.

6am.  One deck atrium bar.  Ground from beans.  Caps and Lats too.  Baileys in the coffee if you wish.  Heck, full bar if you wish.😱  Room service coffee was good to me.  But then I drink the swill from the Keurig type machine in the cabin (DV and above).😎

As stated, you can get made to order espresso drinks in the atrium bar early morning. Personally I loved the Nespresso coffee maker in our stateroom. Enjoyed delicious, strong coffee in bed each morning but I do drink it black. For me, their everyday coffee is not drinkable. I’m sure you could get room service to provide you with real cream. Another place I enjoyed espresso drinks was in the Explorers Lounge but that was later in the morning when it was staffed. 

My only experience with luggage is that was delivered to our room from the airport.

Not sure about the coffee bar on the first deck, but on our next trip I am planning on bringing cream in the individual cups that can be stored at room temperature.  Otherwise, milk is offered with coffee at the restaurants, and was brought with our room service coffee.  Fully planning on using the room machines next time.

TBH......I never asked for cream for our coffee.

The coffee choices in the Living Room bar are excellent ( especially as Jim said, with Baileys !) However, I try to do the Nespresso in the room more so I am not tempted by all the lovely muffins and pastry at the Living Room Bar . 

• Like 1

Looks like you have quickly gotten the answers you need, just want to state that the Nespresso (not Kreuig) machines in the room comes with two types of pods-extra Stong and decaf.  This was one time aboard that I didn’t get what I asked for.  I hoped they had a milder coffee pod but they didn’t according to our room steward. That meant I needed cream (there were non dairy non refrigerated single servings with the coffeemaker) since I usually drink coffee black. I asked our steward for a pitcher of cream and it was provided-I kept it in the refrigerator drawer and when it was empty, asked and received another. 

If you make it to the Living Room for coffee (and you really should) be sure and try a Pistachio Raisin Roll from the aforementioned pastry case.  Thankfully I discovered this a few days into our first VO cruise and it is one of the things I look most to having.  For some reason they aren’t in the basket of pastry goodness that is passed at breakfast in The Restaurant so I usually stop by and BYOB (bring your own bun) when we have a proper sit down breakfast. You can see the bun in the upper left of my photo below. 

Enjoy your first VO cruise!

866550F2-D0FB-4404-8612-63572634F923.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Looks like you have quickly gotten the answers you need, just want to state that the Nespresso (not Kreuig) machines in the room comes with two types of pods-extra Stong and decaf.  This was one time aboard that I didn’t get what I asked for.  I hoped they had a milder coffee pod but they didn’t according to our room steward. That meant I needed cream (there were non dairy non refrigerated single servings with the coffeemaker) since I usually drink coffee black. I asked our steward for a pitcher of cream and it was provided-I kept it in the refrigerator drawer and when it was empty, asked and received another. 

If you make it to the Living Room for coffee (and you really should) be sure and try a Pistachio Raisin Roll from the aforementioned pastry case.  Thankfully I discovered this a few days into our first VO cruise and it is one of the things I look most to having.  For some reason they aren’t in the basket of pastry goodness that is passed at breakfast in The Restaurant so I usually stop by and BYOB (bring your own bun) when we have a proper sit down breakfast. You can see the bun in the upper left of my photo below. 

Enjoy your first VO cruise!

866550F2-D0FB-4404-8612-63572634F923.jpeg

The Living Room on Viking sounds very much like the Bistro on Crystal.  I expect I will be visiting it often.

Thanks for the pastry recommendation, I will share with my husband.  And that leads me to another question.

I am on a gluten free diet (celiac), so unfortunately can't eat most pastries.  Any feedback on the experience others have had with a special diet on Viking Ocean would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

The Living Room on Viking sounds very much like the Bistro on Crystal.  I expect I will be visiting it often.

Thanks for the pastry recommendation, I will share with my husband.  And that leads me to another question.

I am on a gluten free diet (celiac), so unfortunately can't eat most pastries.  Any feedback on the experience others have had with a special diet on Viking Ocean would be appreciated. 

On our last cruise, we had dinner a few times with a person that was gluten free. A separate selection of breads were provided.

I have no doubt that even in the Living Room, you can request gluten free treats with 24 hrs notice

On 1/15/2021 at 8:34 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Hi Clay - interesting viewpoints.  I suppose everyone has their personal favorites regarding Viking Coffee!   We enjoyed the Nespresso in the room (as we take it black), but on all our cruises the Nespresso caffeine pods were too weak for us, as they are at the weak end of the Nespresso scale, but the decaff pods were perfectly strong.

------

From my post back in 2019:

They use actual Nespresso Pods (we know also because we have Nespresso makers at home) and the machine operates just like a mini-Nespresso machine.  The pods we got (and replenished daily for us at the request of our room stewards!) were specifically:  1.  Nespresso Vivalto Lungo  (caffeine), which Nespresso rates as a 4 out of 12 in strength   and 2.  Nespresso Ristretto Defcaffeineated - rated as 10 out of 12.    We actually have some of these pods in our variety at home.

For us the caffeinated one at 4 was too "weak" so we would always brew up a combo of caffeiene and decaff.

Our last machine on the Viking Jupiter was a Nespresso Breville.  We liked it so much (for it's slim lines) that when we got home we found it on Amazon and bought it for ourselves.

--------

We'll have to try the 6 am floor one coffee hand made though.  Haven't done that but with so many excellent reviews on it, that might be worth the trouble heading down and picking up coffee or latte's to go on the next cruise - hopefully sometime in the future!

,Viking has no problems with gluten free and have gotten only better as the years go by.  

There a few threads in this forum that cover it. Just use the search function.  

Do not let it stop you from dining at either of the specialty restaurants, both restaurants are used to handling dietary issues. 

21 hours ago, tipsygirl said:

My partner is gluten-free. In the dining rooms the waiters have handheld tablets. They will know you are gluten free and will broach the subject with you and guide you through the menu. Chefs will alter dishes, where possible, to ensure your dietary requirements are met. A separate excellent bread basket is brought. The Living Room cafe/bar has gluten free pastries and muffins and the crew will quickly learn your needs. Please take afternoon tea. It is done so well. You will get your own cake stand with sandwiches, scones and cakes all gluten free. VO is superb in ensuring that you do not feel like a second class passenger when it comes to dining. Enjoy!

We were seated adjacent to a couple at dinner one night in World Cafe.  The wife of the couple had a laundry list of allergies, and the chef came out to discuss them with her.  Once he had her list of foods she couldn’t eat, he did suggest that she give him an idea which restaurant she preferred to eat at, so he could make sure she had whatever she wanted.  It was quite impressive how it was handled.

22 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Clay - interesting viewpoints.  I suppose everyone has their personal favorites regarding Viking Coffee!   We enjoyed the Nespresso in the room (as we take it black), but on all our cruises the Nespresso caffeine pods were too weak for us, as they are at the weak end of the Nespresso scale, but the decaff pods were perfectly strong.

------

From my post back in 2019:

They use actual Nespresso Pods (we know also because we have Nespresso makers at home) and the machine operates just like a mini-Nespresso machine.  The pods we got (and replenished daily for us at the request of our room stewards!) were specifically:  1.  Nespresso Vivalto Lungo  (caffeine), which Nespresso rates as a 4 out of 12 in strength   and 2.  Nespresso Ristretto Defcaffeineated - rated as 10 out of 12.    We actually have some of these pods in our variety at home.

For us the caffeinated one at 4 was too "weak" so we would always brew up a combo of caffeiene and decaff.

Our last machine on the Viking Jupiter was a Nespresso Breville.  We liked it so much (for it's slim lines) that when we got home we found it on Amazon and bought it for ourselves.

--------

We'll have to try the 6 am floor one coffee hand made though.  Haven't done that but with so many excellent reviews on it, that might be worth the trouble heading down and picking up coffee or latte's to go on the next cruise - hopefully sometime in the future!

You are right!  It was the decaf which was too dark for me. I did fine with the drinking the caffeinated one black, I used the cream when I wanted one after returning to the room in the evening.  Sorry for my bad memory. LOL

5 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

My partner is gluten-free. In the dining rooms the waiters have handheld tablets. They will know you are gluten free and will broach the subject with you and guide you through the menu. Chefs will alter dishes, where possible, to ensure your dietary requirements are met. A separate excellent bread basket is brought. The Living Room cafe/bar has gluten free pastries and muffins and the crew will quickly learn your needs. Please take afternoon tea. It is done so well. You will get your own cake stand with sandwiches, scones and cakes all gluten free. VO is superb in ensuring that you do not feel like a second class passenger when it comes to dining. Enjoy!

W0W! This will far exceed the treatment I have had on any cruise ship. Afternoon tea has always been something I avoid. Always treated as "it's your problem" . I look forward to a more relaxing cruise with a more proactive restaurant staff. 

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

W0W! This will far exceed the treatment I have had on any cruise ship. Afternoon tea has always been something I avoid. Always treated as "it's your problem" . I look forward to a more relaxing cruise with a more proactive restaurant staff. 

We were on the Viking Sky last March. Mid-Atlantic it had to turn round and head back to the US due to COVID. Viking crew were great with all us worried passengers. My partner had no problems being coeliac on the ship. We have sailed with Celebrity and Silver Seas before. Both attempt to get the gluten-free requirement right but both fail. We are booked with Viking again in June of this year. Fingers crossed we will sail.

13 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

We were on the Viking Sky last March. Mid-Atlantic it had to turn round and head back to the US due to COVID. Viking crew were great with all us worried passengers. My partner had no problems being coeliac on the ship. We have sailed with Celebrity and Silver Seas before. Both attempt to get the gluten-free requirement right but both fail. We are booked with Viking again in June of this year. Fingers crossed we will sail.

You really want to spit in a tube every morning, wear a mask everywhere, and not be able to experience ports on your own?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

We are also booked on Viking for June 17 of this year, Into the Midnight Sun. Hoping to be vaccinated soon, and doing what we can to stay healthy. 

48 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

We are also booked on Viking for June 17 of this year, Into the Midnight Sun. Hoping to be vaccinated soon, and doing what we can to stay healthy. 

We are booked on the same cruise, I will get my 2nd vaccination shot in 3 weeks, DW will get both of hers in Feb- March after her full knee replacement surgery.  Obviously, we hope to be cruising in June!

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Just checking, the machine in the room takes standard Nespresso pods?  I might just stick a tube of our very strong ones in the case if it is 

Follow up question, is that all rooms or just suites?  

Also, I've noticed the price of Nespresso pods in Europe  are about half of what we pay in the US. I've never seen a Nespresso branded store in the US but seemed like every port on our Rhine cruise had one.

8 hours ago, uktog said:

Just checking, the machine in the room takes standard Nespresso pods?  I might just stick a tube of our very strong ones in the case if it is 

That’s correct. 

1 hour ago, The Other Tom said:

Follow up question, is that all rooms or just suites?  

Also, I've noticed the price of Nespresso pods in Europe  are about half of what we pay in the US. I've never seen a Nespresso branded store in the US but seemed like every port on our Rhine cruise had one.

DV and higher have the Nespresso machines. So only V1 and V2 don’t have them. Some folks in DVs ask to have them removed to provide more storage space since the machine and it’s paraphernalia  take up all of one of the few shelves in the room. 

• Like 3