Vegetarian options?

sjde

I believe most lines will cater to vegetarians.  I know Avalon had one dish per meal (as opposed to the 3 main choices).  If in doubt with the line you are looking at, contact them.  Most will do their best to work with special dietary needs, and they are very good at remembering individual tastes.  On our cruise, I know the chef met with some guests each day to go through the menu to ensure things were ok.

On all of three of my Viking cruises,  the restaurant manager would seek me out during breakfast  (as I had identified dietary restrictions) and we would go over the day's planned menu.  ( If I chosen to not attend breakfast, I simply popped into the main dining room before heading out for the day). 

I was provided a variety of options for the both lunch ( if I chose not to eat at the lunch buffet) and evening meals. On several days, I was able to enjoy the "regularly scheduled" meal without problems, but regardless,  during mealtimes, the wait staff would be able to immediately know if  I had a "special" meal ordered , whether is was the starter or the main and it was served with a minimum of fuss   Never had any problems with the delicious desserts! 🙂 

Edited by knoxclone

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 7:39 AM, Roz said:

Viking, AMA, Uniworld, Tauck, etc. all provide vegetarian option at each meal...

Hi Roz, most of our cruising has been with HAL but we're looking at a river option in 22. Do the river operators offer Gluten-Free options (on HAL it's great).

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

Hi Roz, most of our cruising has been with HAL but we're looking at a river option in 22. Do the river operators offer Gluten-Free options (on HAL it's great).

One thing to keep in mind is that river ships are tiny compared to even HAL (which I know has smaller ships than many major ocean lines), so they probably don't have a variety of options like this already prepared – but they all are willing to work with passengers on special needs.

• Like 1

@grsnovi, most of my ocean cruising has been on HAL.  I'm close to becoming a 4-star Mariner.  

You may want to do a search online of river cruise line menus, and that will give you a feel for what's available on the different lines.  Is there one in particular you're considering?

We've had some posters in this forum do a "Live From" on their river cruises, and have posted menus and daily activity programs.