Cabin Selection

RachelL18

28 minutes ago, RachelL18 said:

We are sailing from Santiago to Montevideo via Antarctica on the Diamond Princess. Trying to decide whether we choose port side or starboard. Any input??

Thank you!

Choose your location onboard based on the areas of the ship that are applicable to you rather than what you can maybe see from your balcony or window. JMHO.

37 minutes ago, RachelL18 said:

We are sailing from Santiago to Montevideo via Antarctica on the Diamond Princess. Trying to decide whether we choose port side or starboard. Any input??

Thank you!

Port. If there's any land you can see it.

I've never sailed that route but just thinking geographically, I think I would lean toward port side, only because that's the land side throughout your trip.  But truth be told, you might be so far off shore that it doesn't matter.  Hopefully someone who has sailed that route and knows the individual ports can say what side is best for port sail-ins or sail-aways.  Either way, enjoy your cruise.  🙂

PORT simply means LEFT....that doesn't mean you will be facing any land while sailing.  When in port, you'll be in a harbor and there are sights all around.....it's not as if they "parallel park" against the shore!!!  A harbor is cove of sorts, with land pretty much on 3 sides.

So..either side will do.....it's not as if you can't leave the cabin to see something on the other side of the ship!

• Thanks 1

I have some sort of built in preference for Port, no idea why, I just do.

But ir rarely makes a difference, even when you dock, many ports you can dock either way around and let’s be honest you aren’t on the ship ling when you are in port as a general rule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I have some sort of built in preference for Port, no idea why, I just do.

Weird, isn't it?  I have the same predilection for booking cabins on the Port side of the ship. Also like you, I have no idea why.

• Like 2

It really doesn't matter.  Half of the time what you want to see is on your side, and half of the time it is on the other side.  You are usually too far from land for it to make a difference, and if you are "scenic cruising", the Captain will have the ship do a pirouette so both sides get a fair view.

And the passengers on the other side of the ship see it the same way.

And if you do pick one side for some special sight that you want to see, it will be foggy and rainy that day. 

This is Murphy's law, and Murphy was an optimist.

• Like 1

My wife and I sailed from Santiago to Buenos Aires last year and had a port side cabin. When we circled Cape Horn I believe we had better views from our balcony. Also leaving Antarctica we had nice views of Elephant Island. In Antarctica I am not sure it really matters. It is a great trip.

I selected starboard (right) for our Antarctica cruise next year. I think they ship will travel north up the Antarctica coast. Thus the right side may have more scenic views.  The captain will give both sides good views of the glaciers. Even at that, I plan to spend alot of time on the open decks to get a comprehensive view of the scenery.