More Cancellations

DCCruiser57

Yup, saw that update this morning and compared it to a cached copy of the web page with the old dates. So it begins... 😭

We are on Shadow 5/28. I think there's no way it goes, but do I chance it, or just cancel in the next few days (120d deadline is 1/27)? 

My worst nightmare would be that it sails with masks, temp checks, daily nasal swabs, no independent off-ship activity, tables for two only, no bar socializing unless via Zoom from your cabin...

OK, the last was admittedly melodramatic. Nothing political in that statement, just that if all those measures are in place, it won't be much different from work! Guess I'll wait for Monday and decide. But not looking good.

• Like 1

Earlier this week I cancelled my Spirit booking in June because I fear international travel restrictions may not be lifted any time soon, never mind cruises actually sailing as advertised. I transferred the funds to a booking in September, and I hope that’s not being too optimistic. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We are on Shadow 5/28. I think there's no way it goes, but do I chance it, or just cancel in the next few days (120d deadline is 1/27)? 

My worst nightmare would be that it sails with masks, temp checks, daily nasal swabs, no independent off-ship activity, tables for two only, no bar socializing unless via Zoom from your cabin...

A difficult situation . . . my hunch is that the cruise will be cancelled so I'd wait for that from Silversea.  I'm still of the mindset that Silversea is a decent company mindful of its reputation and its feelings for its loyal customers, so I would doubt that it would sail from Italy to Spain knowing that passengers would not get off the ship anywhere.  But who knows???

As an aside, the latest clues from the UK government is that all overseas trips will be semi-officially banned until the Fall at least . . . 

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I realize your voyage merely ends in Spain, but based on what the Spanish Prime Minister said yesterday, I don’t see how you’ll be allowed to disembark in Barcelona since the Spaniards don’t even plan to open their country to international tourists until late summer.

34 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I realize your voyage merely ends in Spain, but based on what the Spanish Prime Minister said yesterday, I don’t see how you’ll be allowed to disembark in Barcelona since the Spaniards don’t even plan to open their country to international tourists until late summer.

Not according to this article!

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/spain-to-start-recovery-of-tourism-sector-in-april/

I would call this a “hot mess”.   You, I, the cruise lines, and probably every hotel and restaurant from Nome to Sydney is saying “what the hell?”.    All these plans to sail, open, or expect guests are about as firm as jello on a hot summer day.   

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jpalbny said:

OK, the last was admittedly melodramatic. Nothing political in that statement, just that if all those measures are in place, it won't be much different from work! Guess I'll wait for Monday and decide. But not looking good.

A multi-zillion dollar internet upgrade would be needed for that to work!

• Haha 3

We are also scheduled to be on the 5/28 Shadow and have been watching as the cancellations inch closer and closer. This was a rebook from a canceled March 2020 sailing, and to imagine that back then I thought we were being pessimistic by rebooking that far in advance.

This was posted on Trips Advisor yesterday:

Dear traveler,
Are you considering an international trip? If so, read on. The CDC has issued a COVID-19 order that may impact your plans for re-entering the United States.
Effective January 26, 2021 travelers arriving in the U.S. must:
1) Get tested for COVID-19 no more than 3 days before departing to the United States and show a negative test result to the airline before boarding OR 2) show documentation of recent recovery from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding.
This new order applies to all air passengers — including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents — aged 2 years and older. It also applies regardless of the length of time spent outside of the United States.
Acceptable documentation of recovery from COVID-19 includes both a positive viral test result within 3 months of travel (or the time period specified in current CDC guidance) AND a letter from a healthcare provider or public health official stating that the passenger is cleared to end isolation.
Passengers who have tested positive for COVID-19 will need to delay their travel until they meet the criteria to end isolation; learn more here.
Need more information? Visit this FAQ page at CDC.gov.

I am not at all optimistic as to the future.

I strongly suspect that my June (Spirit) cruise to the Baltic will be cancelled.
Fortunately this was a standard payment booking, not an FCC as I have no desire whatsoever to accept any cruise credit ... so that will be an interesting conversation when the email arrives.

When do we think the next batch of cancellations will be announced?

21 hours ago, geekgirl23 said:

We are also scheduled to be on the 5/28 Shadow and have been watching as the cancellations inch closer and closer. This was a rebook from a canceled March 2020 sailing, and to imagine that back then I thought we were being pessimistic by rebooking that far in advance.

We booked this in Jan 2020, while on-board Silver Cloud in Antarctica. We had heard of this odd respiratory virus in China but figured it would surely blow over by 2021...

Yeah, well. Here we are.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

I saw an advertisement in our newspaper yesterday for Silver Explorer along the Kimberley Coast from Darwin to Broome / Broome to Darwin starting on May 28th and with departures in June, July and August 2021 and June and July 2022. 
I imagine that only Australians will be the passengers this year, as the boarder is shut to international visitors ( unless you are a tennis player!).
Thousands of Australians overseas are unable to return and if they are lucky enough to get a flight it is 14 days hotel quarantine. 
I presume the crew will be on board before they reach Australian waters and I’m sure must be tested before arrival. Not sure how that will work.
At present the only Covid positive cases are in hotel quarantine in Victoria with no community transmission for around 17 days.  Hoping  it can stay that way after quite severe lockdown, especially Melbourne, for 3 months to stop the spread. 

We are booked on the Shadow in September and have until May to cancel. I am beginning to doubt if the cruise will go, but by then, I might be tempted to go even with severe limitations and testing on board just so someone else will do the cooking and cleaning.  LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thankfully our first booked cruise is Sept. 19 on Noble Caledonia – the fare includes all excursions, so even if we are stuck in a 'bubble' with the other 100 passengers, I think we will be able to enjoy it.  This may be the saving grace for small-ship cruising, once we get to the point of required vaccinations for all passengers and crew.  Give up a few hours of free time in port, in exchange for being able to travel again?  I'm in!!!

15 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

We are booked on the Shadow in September and have until May to cancel. I am beginning to doubt if the cruise will go, but by then, I might be tempted to go even with severe limitations and testing on board just so someone else will do the cooking and cleaning.  LOL.

YES!

We are booked on Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq departing on July 29, 2021, but it is highly improbable we will make even if it is not cancelled. The vaccination schedule in Brazil is that I will only get my shot in the second semester if the Government get enough doses. So far the government plan is to vaccine people over 60. Brazilian government did not secured vaccine previously and we only got a small amount of doses. I hope private clinics can get it and I prefer to pay than wait for the government.

But I am considering other options such a Christmas and New Year Asia cruise.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:29 PM, Lirio said:

We are booked on Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq departing on July 29, 2021...

@Lirio I hope you get to go, but agree that it's pretty questionable for this year. If it's cancelled, book this trip again for a future year! We did this trip three years ago, our first trip on Silversea after a number on Seabourn and Regent -- and we throughly enjoyed it. The scenery is spectacular (and we were fortunately blessed with great weather to boot). 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@Lirio I hope you get to go, but agree that it's pretty questionable for this year. If it's cancelled, book this trip again for a future year! We did this trip three years ago, our first trip on Silversea after a number on Seabourn and Regent -- and we throughly enjoyed it. The scenery is spectacular (and we were fortunately blessed with great weather to boot). 

Silversea has the same trip 2022.....

• Like 1