Temp checks

7 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

If you read what I wrote, I did NOT say my cutoff was 99.  I said I RECHECK them just to make sure it could be environmental factors such as a hat, seat warmers in a car, thick coat...

If you read what I wrote....

I did not comment on what you are doing. I stated what WE are doing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

If you read what I wrote, I did NOT say my cutoff was 99.  I said I RECHECK them just to make sure it could be environmental factors such as a hat, seat warmers in a car, thick coat...

Slightly off subject but I did have a student once who had a headache, was lethargic and had a temp of 100.0. Mom who was a nurse practitioner would not pick up because she knew we could not send her 7 yr old home unless temp was 100.6.  I had checked him earlier and he was 99.5.  Makes one wonder.

There is nothing quite like a parent who thinks that they run the school district and tries to tell my nurses what they can and cannot do.

• Like 3

Speaking of thermometer- (This was taken from the Humour thread contributed by CSHS1979)

Never Piss Off A Nurse

A big shot attorney had to spend a couple of days in the
hospital. He was a royal pain to the nurses because he bossed
them around just like he did his staff. None of the hospital
staff wanted to have anything to do with him.

The head nurse was the only one who could stand up to him. She
came into his room and announced, "I have to take your
temperature."

After complaining for several minutes, he finally
settled down, crossed his arms and opened his mouth.

"No, I'm sorry," the nurse stated, "but for this
reading, I can't use an oral thermometer." This started another
round of complaining but eventually he rolled over and bared his
behind.

After feeling the nurse insert the thermometer, he heard her
announce,"I have to get something. Now you stay JUST LIKE THAT
until I get back!"

She left the door to his room open on her way out. He cursed
under his breath as he heard people walking past his door,
laughing.....

After about 20 minutes, the man's doctor came into the room.
"What's going on here?" asked the doctor.

Angrily, the man answered, "What's the matter, Doc? Haven't you
ever seen someone having their temperature taken?"

After a pause, the doctor confessed..... "Not with a Daffodil."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2021 at 2:27 PM, Glock said:

Can't wait to get back cruising, but I refuse to have a laser shot into my brain multiple times every day to test for temperature.
There must be another way.

Don’t visit Hawaii. 100% of the passengers and crew leaving every incoming flight is temp checked by the military. Exit the airport gate area, show a negative PCR COVID test. Rent a car, show a negative COVID test. Check into a hotel, show a negative COVID test. 

Every restaurant is required to temp check and collect contact tracing information from every guest. Hair cut, temp check.

13 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

Sure, look here Nude Cruises - Royal Caribbean International - Cruise Critic Community, on these cruises the temp checks are taken rectal.

It was a joke. I hope you realize that.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Don’t visit Hawaii. 100% of the passengers and crew leaving every incoming flight is temp checked by the military. Exit the airport gate area, show a negative PCR COVID test. Rent a car, show a negative COVID test. Check into a hotel, show a negative COVID test. 

Every restaurant is required to temp check and collect contact tracing information from every guest. Hair cut, temp check.

Good for them.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, Bobal said:

So I have just recovered from Covid - as as my OH. At no time did he have a temperature and I had one on maybe 5 or 6 occasions during the course of a couple of weeks (I took my temperature regularly). I really don't think the issue is whether people want or don't want their temperature taken, it's that the whole procedure is pretty pointless in terms of a diagnostic tool.

We have to have one taken daily at the health care setting I work at.  I stopped to ask the lovely security guard who does it whether she has had to stop anyone because of their temperature.  Once.  The child was unwell, mother knew it was a cold.  

We have had +ves at work from colleagues and asymptomatic patients.  No-one has been picked up by the temperature check.  

In my experience, I agree.  It does not seem to be a very robust too. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jean87510 said:

it isnt.  The thermometers that my colleagues and I have used will show temperatures of anywhere from 96.5 to 98.0 normally.  A reading of 99 is a little high for the thermometers I use.  I should have been clearer.  As I said, 999x out of 1000, it will decrease once the client comes into a shaded area or a cooler location, removes their hat...etc...  Then I recheck.  

I work in a school.  Its a different environment from a hospital.  On the weekends at the hospital, I react differently about slightly elevated temps and slightly elevated BP as I have better equipment and other onsite medical staff.  At school, that slightly elevated temp of 99 that one may call stupid could easily go to 101 in a couple of hours.  So I do have to be more cautious.

So what if temp does not go down?

My DH had higher than normal at Dentist office.  It was when they made you sit in your vehicle and wait for them to come out to take temp.  The office assistant obviously was not well trained in using the gauge.  She stuck it directly to his head!  Now of course sitting in a hot car, when it was 90 degrees outside with car not running and the car window open...guess what?  Duh!!  They took again a few minutes later, ..and still up there.  They made him go home, and could not reschedule for two weeks.  

When he got home I took his temp...98.3.   🤒😒

Since then, they now bring people into the waiting room to take temperatures.