Temp checks

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Guess you will be staying home.......because the cruise line is not going to ask you to drop your pants and bend over for a rectal temp

I will take my own oral, hope that is accepted.
Our school uses laser on all the kids. Some request wrist, but wrist isn't accurate.
I really hope that we are not damaging such a sensitive area of or children's bodies.

There are not supposed to be negative affects, but who is 100% sure?
I would rather not take the chance of damaging someone's brain, or eyes.
Also I am not attached to my Cell phone as are the majority of the world's population.   

Edited by Glock

1 hour ago, Glock said:

Our school uses laser on all the kids. Some request wrist, but wrist isn't accurate.
I really hope that we are not damaging such a sensitive area of or children's bodies.

Also I am not attached to my Cell phone as are the majority of the world's population.   

You might want to read up on how these thermometers work. They do not use lasers.

Edited by time4u2go

2 hours ago, Glock said:

Hope that computer monitor emmitting all that light through your eyes into your brainwon't hurt you in the long run

3 hours ago, Glock said:

I suggest you watch the video in this thread. Apparently they take your temperature as you walk in without you even knowing. They take it again as you walk up to the podium. Also a cell phone will be a vital tool throughout the sailing.

25 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I suggest you watch the video in this thread. Apparently they take your temperature as you walk in without you even knowing. They take it again as you walk up to the podium. Also a cell phone will be a vital tool throughout the sailing.

That’s just not cruising, everywhere in Singapore it’s compulsory to have temp checks.  

The temp check is a last line of defense and yes it’s probably not helpful due to all the other symptoms and asymptotic people but it’s a reminder to stay vigilant. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You might want to read up on how these thermometers work. They do not use lasers.

Actually, many do use a laser, just not to read the temperature, just to "aim" the infrared sensor to the correct spot.  However, laser pointers are limited by law to a maximum of 5 milliwatts of power (about 1/20,00th of the energy from a 100 watt light bulb).  It is also known that while "near infrared" light wavelengths are capable of penetrating the human skull (and these thermometers do not even emit IR light, they measure the IR energy from the person), the red light wavelengths used in pointing lasers is about 14 times less effective in penetrating the skull than near IR light, at about 0.3% of the 5 milliwatts allowed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Random Question- how well do the forehead thermometers work if you are hot and sweaty?  We got one a few months ago, just for fun.  Since it’s been cold here, we only have experienced- if you take temp right after going outside, it is a tad lower.

I have to check temperatures for work.  If temp is 99 I usually have them sit down for a few minutes then recheck.  999x out of 1000 the temperature decreases.  If its 100, I do the same thing but chances are it probably won't decrease.  Just to be clear, this is based on my experience as a nurse during these temperature checks for Covid-19 I have to do.  Im sure everyone has a different story or scenario.  If you are hot and sweaty at a port, before you reboard, just relax for a few moments in the shade.  If you are really worried, bring a thermometer with you.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Guess you will be staying home.......because the cruise line is not going to ask you to drop your pants and bend over for a rectal temp

Unless that can be pre-purchased in cruise planner and monetized...then we may be onto something new!! 

• Haha 1

We went on MSC out of Miami end of February 2020. We had to do temp screening before boarding. Very easy, you stood on a marked spot about 6 feet away from a unit that looked like the facial recognition unit used for Customs when disembarking. Three seconds and then they said ok, you are good to go onboard. 

This temperature thread just reminded me of a funny story that happened in my wife's office. This was early covid and a patient called describing their symptoms.   The NP asked the person calling if she took her husbands temperature. She replied that they didn't have a thermometer and asked if she could use a meat thermometer. The NP had to put the call on mute because she was laughing so hard. I wonder if she would have used it orally or rectally.

• Haha 2

On 1/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, d9704011 said:

Well sure, there’s always a rectal thermometer.

Brilliant! Thak you! Laughed so much.
There is nothing more important than a good sense of humor, and you sure do possess one.

23 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Oral? In the ear? What about the scanner that you don't even know it is there?

24 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

This temperature thread just reminded me of a funny story that happened in my wife's office. This was early covid and a patient called describing their symptoms.   The NP asked the person calling if she took her husbands temperature. She replied that they didn't have a thermometer and asked if she could use a meat thermometer. The NP had to put the call on mute because she was laughing so hard. I wonder if she would have used it orally or rectally.

In his meat no doubt.

29 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

We went on MSC out of Miami end of February 2020. We had to do temp screening before boarding. Very easy, you stood on a marked spot about 6 feet away from a unit that looked like the facial recognition unit used for Customs when disembarking. Three seconds and then they said ok, you are good to go onboard. 

This is what I was hoping for, but it seems Royal is shooting cruisers with a temp gun whenever they go to eat in a buffet, line up for a show, sports, or any other activity on board.

49 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

At least it's a new topic.

Maybe it is something that should be debated, as we are doing this to millions of school kids every day.

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Random Question- how well do the forehead thermometers work if you are hot and sweaty?  We got one a few months ago, just for fun.  Since it’s been cold here, we only have experienced- if you take temp right after going outside, it is a tad lower.

Good question.  A friend of mine owns a hair salon and over the summer she had to turn away several customers or have them sit in their car with the a/c on for several minutes because they were waiting outside in 90 degree heat and their temps were elevated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

EVERY activity, and all food venues daily. That is what I understood from this video.
That is why I started this thread.