October Insignia NYC--Montreal

billf0401

There are 4 cruises aboard the Insignia departing NCY/Montreal/NYC beginning October 1st, 2021....Looking for insight from the experienced cruisers with regard to the probability that these will take place.  We are booked on the Oct 31, 2021 cruise from Montreal to Miami.  I would like to be optimistic that it will go as planned but I have my doubts.  Your thoughts?

13 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

Given the speed👎 of the vaccine distribution in the US  I would doubt any cruise

ships will sale out of NY before 2022.

Personally I would not sit around worrying about any cruises before but then.

Canada is having a bigger problem with distribution than the US right now but either way it's not promising for any cruising between the two countries this year.

I doubt it will happen

Our illustrious leader said we should all be vaccinated by Sept  but then Pfizer  cut  the supply  this week to zero doses  then cut  the following shipment  way down

So people that had 1 dose may not get the 2nd dose   on time

next shipment of the Pfizer  is mid Feb   unless they change it

Moderna  is still coming

They have not even done all the nursing home & front line workers in Ontario  so regular fold are way down the list

Good luck with cruising  to/from Canada

JMO

I agree with LHT28 comments.  I suspect the Canadian Government will not open the border before September 21, 2021 or October 21, 2021.  My estimate is based on Federal Government comments about containing spread of COVID.

2 hours ago, GICNJC said:

I agree with LHT28 comments.  I suspect the Canadian Government will not open the border before September 21, 2021 or October 21, 2021.  My estimate is based on Federal Government comments about containing spread of COVID.

You can still fly into Canada  at the moment   just plan on self isolating for 14 days  😉

But doubt the ships will be allowed  in the fall  unless we have a surge of vaccines  in the arm

JMO

It’ll be interesting to see what unfolds there. A friend owns a house and property on Cape Breton Island. They will both be receiving the 2nd shot next week. They are hoping to drive up in July for a couple months without having to quarantine. Last year they weren’t allowed in at all.

It’ll be interesting to see if Canada will honor the Moderna vaccine for regular entrance.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You can still fly into Canada  at the moment   just plan on self isolating for 14 days  😉

But doubt the ships will be allowed  in the fall  unless we have a surge of vaccines  in the arm

JMO

The Canadian Government is discussing shutting the border to travelers (even air) today.  I have been watching closely as I have a Son working in Turks and Caicos as an executive chef on a three month contract. 

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

The Canadian Government is discussing shutting the border to travelers (even air) today.  I have been watching closely as I have a Son working in Turks and Caicos as an executive chef on a three month contract. 

They should have done it months ago  IMO

It seems governments (domestic and international) are struggling with the metrics of supply and demand of the vaccine. Perhaps the best option is to wait and evaluate the progress of vaccinations and the control of the virus. Not the most attractive plan but the safest. 
PS we miss cruising.

2 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Perhaps the best option is to wait and evaluate the progress of vaccinations and the control of the virus. Not the most attractive plan but the safest. 

I think that is exactly what will happen.

When you look at the increasing travel restrictions being introduced by many countries due to mutations concerns, a wait and evaluate approach will be taken by many / most countries.

2021 will be the year of vaccine and vaccination development and learning around the globe.

Very little. if any,  mass global travel will be available.

11 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

When you look at the increasing travel restrictions being introduced by many countries due to mutations concerns, a wait and evaluate approach will be taken by many / most countries.

2021 will be the year of vaccine and vaccination development and learning around the globe.

Very little. if any,  mass global travel will be available.

Agree, unfortunately. As a result, I am trying to avoid looking at any of those lovely cruise brochures, like the one I received today from Oceania regarding Fall 2021 Mediterranean cruises.

12 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Agree, unfortunately. As a result, I am trying to avoid looking at any of those lovely cruise brochures, like the one I received today from Oceania regarding Fall 2021 Mediterranean cruises.

Perhaps too much pessimism on your part. Just as a simple math drill, October 1 (10-1) is the 274th day of the year. If we continue to maintain 1 million shots per day that’s over 135 million Americans being fully vaccinated. If J&J becomes approved, that number will soar. Europe will soon catch up with us after a slower start. 

I believe that anyone that may want to sail will be able to be in that 135+ million. If passengers and crew are totally vaccinated, and vaccine performance is as tested, I believe countries will open to cruising by 10/1. Some here belittle the economic impact of cruisers, but for some just having those cruise ships paying to dock or anchor is important. 

I have little faith in a return to sailing pre-10/1, or anywhere in the US or Canada in 2021, but I truly believe that the Med in the Fall will be doable.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 2:44 AM, Noxequifans said:

It seems governments (domestic and international) are struggling with the metrics of supply and demand of the vaccine.

Vaccine effectiveness against the emerging variants, and whether booster vaccinations will be required for any of these variants is also a big unknown.

• Like 1

As we have continued to follow the developments with regard to continuation the good news has been very little....We have nearly given up on our Montreal/NYC/Miami cruise scheduled for October 31st.  We have also kept up with the protocol on the few cruises that have sailed....the protocol is not conducive to an enjoyable Holiday....We have begun discussing if we will ever be able to cruise again under what were "normal" conditions....seems doubtful any time in the next couple of years...Perhaps we are being too pessimistic.

The panic merchants are in charge here in Nova Scotia.

Since June 9th we have had one death and two hospitalisations. One of the hospitalisations turned out to be Covid-negative. We have roughly 20 active cases in a province of 1MM at any point in time.

It's being sold as "heads I win, tails, you lose": We were told we had to lockdown for a month to cut cases. Now, since we've cut cases, we need to lockdown even further because "it's obviously working". Businesses are closing left and right.

The only stat being discussed is how few vaccines we've gotten...about 12K, broken down as about 2.5K people already doubled up and 7K singled up. Nobody else slated for the Pfizer regime is being given a first shot until the Pfizer supply comes back--what we have is being held in abeyance to double up the 7K waiting their 21 days.

Your cruise may go, but I doubt there will be stops in Nova Scotia. If PEI was on the itinerary, they're in a similar spot, although I think proportionately they've had even fewer cases. 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:13 AM, Tranquility Base said:

Vaccine effectiveness against the emerging variants, and whether booster vaccinations will be required for any of these variants is also a big unknown.

Novavax is developing booster shots to help protect against newly emerging variants.

The company plans to initiate clinical testing for these new vaccines in the second quarter of this year.

Source: CNN.

When it comes to these new variants this year, we still have a ways to go regarding big questions on  different vaccines and how many vaccinations are needed and how often.

Edited by Tranquility Base