Bourbon selection in Michael's Club?

padgman1

The only time I was in Michael's, I was drinking Scotch. I don't recall much of a bourbon selection in Michael's, or on the ship in general. I was bored a couple of weeks ago, probably from a question about the World Class Bar, and looked up some information on branding and brand groups. Much of what's on the ship is either from Diageo or Bacardi Limited. Diageo has Bulleit and Barcardi has Angel's Envy. Suntory owns Maker's Mark and Beam (it's officially Beam Suntory but I'm pretty sure the Beam is silent...).

You have the same basic problem on the ship with bourbon that you have ashore. You need enough of it, which more or less eliminates anything that's allocated. And if it's allocated and onboard, I'm pretty sure you're paying a premium. Even affordable things like good old Buffalo Trace have gotten hard to find. Oddly, Scotch seems to be better suited production wise for better whisky onboard.

And if you're looking for Staggs or Wellers or Blantons or the like from Buffalo Trace, forget about it!

4 hours ago, padgman1 said:

Wondering if the bourbon selection in Michael's Club is different from other bars on ship. Anyone had some interesting pours besides Jim Beam, Bullitt, Maker's Mark, and Woodford Reserve?

You aren't going to find much too interesting onboard even if you want to pay for it. I don't think the market really exists.  The "most expensive" pour I had in MC was Woodford Double Oaked.

Pretty sure you won't find this at Michael's Club but if you're a whisky drinker this bourbon is a must try. 

Whisky Advocate rated Larceny Barrel Proof Bourbon, batch B520, the number 1 whisky for 2020. So here you go, #1 rated at 122 proof this wheat. not rye, bourbon is attractively priced at $50.00. Released only three times a year, Jan., May and Oct.. it's hard to come by. I purchased the Larceny Small Batch at 92 proof for $25.00 and it is delicious. Members of The Old Fitzgerald family of bourbons they are definitely worth a pour.   

• Like 2

They have Louie XIII a on board.   It was reasonably priced  considering the cost per bottle

I doubt if you would get it in Michael’s as they serve for the most part what is included in the premium bev pack.   

Celebrity used to have a nice selection of bourbons on the premium:  Bakers, Bookers, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Blanton,   

Now it is limited to Makers, Woodford and Double Oak, JB, Bulliet, and Ten High.    One BT tried to tell me Ten High was a premium as I seen him pour it for a WR  Double Oak Old Fashioned that I asked for.   He said it was much better and the best they had.    It was the best he had and the only bourbon he had and didn’t want to chase after the bourbon I wanted.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Pretty sure you won't find this at Michael's Club but if you're a whisky drinker this bourbon is a must try. 

Whisky Advocate rated Larceny Barrel Proof Bourbon, batch B520, the number 1 whisky for 2020. So here you go, #1 rated at 122 proof this wheat. not rye, bourbon is attractively priced at $50.00. Released only three times a year, Jan., May and Oct.. it's hard to come by. I purchased the Larceny Small Batch at 92 proof for $25.00 and it is delicious. Members of The Old Fitzgerald family of bourbons they are definitely worth a pour.   

The Barrel Proof appears pretty difficult to get in Virginia. We're a state store only state, and you can't special order product anymore...

The Small Batch 92 is an excellent bourbon, especially for the price. It was on a "poor man's acquirable Pappy" list a year or so ago as an excellent wheated bourbon, and I have to agree.

19 hours ago, padgman1 said:

Wondering if the bourbon selection in Michael's Club is different from other bars on ship. Anyone had some interesting pours besides Jim Beam, Bullitt, Maker's Mark, and Woodford Reserve?

I'm pretty sure I had Basil Hayden on a cruise or two.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:21 AM, TeeRick said:

I'm pretty sure I had Basil Hayden on a cruise or two.

You probably did but that was years ago.   It is no longer carried by X.   If you do get it it is from a bottle that is left over and I doubt there is any.  

I think X changed suppliers and that is why they don’t carry a lot of the brands they use to.

Old Grand Dad is the same Bill Mash as Basil.  Compare the bottles.   Difference is aging,  blending, and possibly barrel char.  

Drink up 🥂🍹🍸🥃🍻🥤🧉🍷

On 1/28/2021 at 8:28 PM, miched said:

You probably did but that was years ago.   It is no longer carried by X.   If you do get it it is from a bottle that is left over and I doubt there is any.  

I think X changed suppliers and that is why they don’t carry a lot of the brands they use to.

Old Grand Dad is the same Bill Mash as Basil.  Compare the bottles.   Difference is aging,  blending, and possibly barrel char.  

Drink up 🥂🍹🍸🥃🍻🥤🧉🍷

Well I'm pretty sure I had Basil Hayden Jan 2020 on my Eclipse S.America cruise in The Retreat.  In my experience different ships have different selections in Michael's Club/The Retreat.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:51 AM, TeeRick said:

Well I'm pretty sure I had Basil Hayden Jan 2020 on my Eclipse S.America cruise in The Retreat.  In my experience different ships have different selections in Michael's Club/The Retreat.

Good to know. Will be looking forward to the selections on Reflection on the fall TA 2022.

Too bad we can't suggest selections for Celebrity to carry ( nothing esoteric or rare....)...let alone bring one 750 ml bottle on board ( ssshhhhh!!!)

Woodford Double Oaked was "the best" offering on our Summit cruise last February.      A pleasing bourbon but not a first choice.   An excellent, value priced bourbon is 1792.   Small Batch or Single Barrel are both great pours.    If they could have Basil Hayden on our next cruise (April '22) I would be a happy man.    That would make the evening cigar even better.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, TeeRick said:

All I can say is Angels Envy...

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

All I can say is Angels Envy...

I'm good with that, but I'm not sure how allocated it is. A quick Google search suggests the "now sure" piece could be intentional. Who knows? (Having a Rum Finished Rye right now that had gotten buried...)

Just now, markeb said:

I'm good with that, but I'm not sure how allocated it is. A quick Google search suggests the "now sure" piece could be intentional. Who knows? (Having a Rum Finished Rye right now that had gotten buried...)

Well 3 bottles were "allocated" to me as a holiday gift from a client, which I am certain was intentional

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zdad59 said:

Woodford Double Oaked was "the best" offering on our Summit cruise last February.      A pleasing bourbon but not a first choice.   An excellent, value priced bourbon is 1792.   Small Batch or Single Barrel are both great pours.    If they could have Basil Hayden on our next cruise (April '22) I would be a happy man.    That would make the evening cigar even better.

OK so what cigar would you pair with Basil Hayden?

Could also hope that Celebrity/Royal Caribbean could obtain other spirits via a bid package from another large company like Sazerac - would mean that 1792/Buffalo Trace/ Blanton's/Weller/Col. Taylor/Eagle Rare would be in play.....as well as Fireball and Goldschlager.

18 hours ago, padgman1 said:

Could also hope that Celebrity/Royal Caribbean could obtain other spirits via a bid package from another large company like Sazerac - would mean that 1792/Buffalo Trace/ Blanton's/Weller/Col. Taylor/Eagle Rare would be in play.....as well as Fireball and Goldschlager.

Yes they have some sort of deal with Diageo and feature Johnny Walker and Bulleit Bourbon on ships that have the World Class Bar.  And of course Ron Zacapa!

On my last cruise, they had a special cabinet full of interesting Scotch, Bourbon, Rum and Tequila. I drank a 25 year old Macallan at the bar. Cost about $30 extra above the Premium drink package. There were plenty of $250-$5000 bottles in the cabinet. No menu for prices, had to ask the bartender. These items are nowhere to be found on the normal drink menus.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

On my last cruise, they had a special cabinet full of interesting Scotch, Bourbon, Rum and Tequila. I drank a 25 year old Macallan at the bar. Cost about $30 extra above the Premium drink package. There were plenty of $250-$5000 bottles in the cabinet. No menu for prices, had to ask the bartender. These items are nowhere to be found on the normal drink menus.

We did msc yacht club about a year ago, they give you premium drink package which is about the same as celebrity but you can upgrade it for 18 dollars a day, upgraded package includes everything sold by the glass , drank a little more than normal, mostly Johnny Walker Blue and some 20 year old single malts also, XO cognacs were also included. They allow doubles if requested. We definitely went thru a few bottles of Blue during the week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, TeeRick said:

Let's see Basil Hayden on a large rock.     Time to fire up one of the following.    All three are Robusto size (5x50),about a 30-40 minute smoke.   Enough time to sip down a smooth Basil Hayden double.   

The Liga 9 was the go to cigar on our last cruise.   A non cigar smoking buddy of ours was on the cruise and turns out he's friends with the CEO of the Swisher Sweet company.     They own the Drew Estate company that makes the Liga brand.   He brought each of us a box.   Very smooth smoke.

The H Upmann is my mild, smooth go to at home.    a real nice flavor that doesn't over power.

The Perdomo's were a newer smoke on my list.   Pick up a variety pack of them 2 cruises ago and they quickly may my favorite list.

Solving the World's Problems with a few Liga 9s on Celebrity Summit.....

No photo description available.

• Image result for liga 7 cigarLiga 9 Privada
  • Image result for h upmann robustoH Upmann 1844 Reserve Robusto

• Image result for perdomo cigar   Perdomo Lot 23
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, TeeRick said:

Just noticed your avatar signature.    We probably live less than 5 miles apart.   I'm in Royersford.

If you want to try a nice new bourbon, usually available in PA state stores, try Bradshaw bourbon.    Made (or at least sponsored) by Terry Bradshaw.     A surprisingly smooth pour.
784FCF2D-924D-4F08-A67A-F480F5CFA2B3_1_105_c_large.jpg?v=1609466862

13 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Just noticed your avatar signature.    We probably live less than 5 miles apart.   I'm in Royersford.

If you want to try a nice new bourbon, usually available in PA state stores, try Bradshaw bourbon.    Made (or at least sponsored) by Terry Bradshaw.     A surprisingly smooth pour.
784FCF2D-924D-4F08-A67A-F480F5CFA2B3_1_105_c_large.jpg?v=1609466862

zdad59 I will definitely give it a try!  I will pick up a bottle in the Wine & Spirits store in Royersford near Lidl!