Cruising in 2021

thekeyman

28 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

We have avoided FCCs so far and would prefer  refunds.  However, we could make use of one FCC if the sail-by date is extended until the end of 2022.

I think they have changed them, but sure

2 hours ago, gjsmth said:

Looking at 7 day Eastern in Middle July.  If cruise lines have not returned to cruising why is it RCL is allowing July bookings? Would you even consider booking July or August '21?  Don't want to plunk down $$ if July '21 is not realistic.  When do you think cruise lines will return to cruising.  Thnx

I do not think anyone really knows, not people on the boards, not the government, not the cruise lines.

There are lots of variables that are too hard to navigate.  The variables include when will people get vaccinated (this includes the US and possibly the various possible ports of call), how well will the vaccines work against the new variants (one vaccine company has a study that says only around 50% effective against one of the variants), how fast is the virus mutating, etc.

Personally I do not think this summer is viable however that is just a guess.  I think there is a chance that ships will start cruising by the 4th quarter, but again just a guess. 

Also, who knows what the shipboard experience will be like once things do start up. I do not think you can sail at 90% capacity and have effective social distancing on a ship.   

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Everything I've read says it will be the 3rd port to open, after miami and port Canaveral. 

Beach there is already open and hotels to book. Still hoping for sept.

Biden said he hopes the vaccine will be availble to all by spring. Said it just yesterday. Sounds over optimistic but I'm hopeful. Sept in Galveston good beach weather. I'll go anyway.

Off topic but I have been meaning to ask if your parents have been vaccinated yet?

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm actually hoping at this point my July 2021 RT out of Amsterdam cancels and more than likely my Oct 2021 out of Cape Liberty does also.

That's too bad. I think we all had high hopes that things would improve for cruising in 2021. But so far, it just seems like different verse, same as last year. :classic_sad: 

On 1/28/2021 at 7:45 PM, LB_NJ said:

I do not think anyone really knows, not people on the boards, not the government, not the cruise lines.

There are lots of variables that are too hard to navigate.  The variables include when will people get vaccinated (this includes the US and possibly the various possible ports of call), how well will the vaccines work against the new variants (one vaccine company has a study that says only around 50% effective against one of the variants), how fast is the virus mutating, etc.

Personally I do not think this summer is viable however that is just a guess.  I think there is a chance that ships will start cruising by the 4th quarter, but again just a guess. 

Also, who knows what the shipboard experience will be like once things do start up. I do not think you can sail at 90% capacity and have effective social distancing on a ship.   

Can't figure why RCL or any of the others are accepting bookings and deposits for July '21 cruise if most likely a no go.  Guess will hold off till more clarity comes out, not going to tie up deposit money for uncertainty.  So looking forwrd to getting back out.  Also wonder how much longer lines can survive with prolonged ships idled.

1 minute ago, gjsmth said:

Can't figure why RCL or any of the others are accepting bookings and deposits for July '21 cruise if most likely a no go.  Guess will hold off till more clarity comes out, not going to tie up deposit money for uncertainty.  So looking forwrd to getting back out.  Also wonder how much longer lines can survive with prolonged ships idled.

They might still be taking bookings just in case they can sail plus they get cashflow even if they have to refund the money later.  (I.e., they get interest free loans from passengers.)

I think I read somewhere (although I may be quoting it wrong) that Royal has enough cash to survive the year if cruising starts in the second half.

Also, if they are cash poor when things start up they might cut services/quality and keep the prices high so they can get an initial boost of higher profitability. Then raise quality when people complain.

22 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

They might still be taking bookings just in case they can sail plus they get cashflow even if they have to refund the money later.  (I.e., they get interest free loans from passengers.)

I think I read somewhere (although I may be quoting it wrong) that Royal has enough cash to survive the year if cruising starts in the second half.

Also, if they are cash poor when things start up they might cut services/quality and keep the prices high so they can get an initial boost of higher profitability. Then raise quality when people complain.

So why would anyone want to be the first ones back if service will be sub par?  Might be a better idea to postpone till we see what happens

On 1/28/2021 at 1:55 PM, Giantfan13 said:

We have a 14 day TA, Rome to FT Lauderdale, end of Oct 2021 and who know??

Hard enough to think about USA cruises, we have to worry about European ports also.

I still haven't made any airline reservations.

All we can do is plan a bit and hope for better times. 

Cheers

Len

CDC says no cruises can enter a US port if they have been at sea for more than 7 days. It is buried in a ever growing pile of rules and regulations that agency is putting out. The 7 day rule expires Nov 1 2021 at least for now.

1 minute ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

CDC says no cruises can enter a US port if they have been at sea for more than 7 days. It is buried in a ever growing pile of rules and regulations that agency is putting out. The 7 day rule expires Nov 1 2021 at least for now.

Yes and that's why they aren't showing on the site to book. Royal isn't allowed to sell them either.

When the virus started we moved our September 2020 cruise to September 2021. Now having doubts that cruise will happen. Might have to move it again to September 2022. We decided on a backup plan to take a land based vacation in 2021 just in case it gets cancelled once again.

38 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

When the virus started we moved our September 2020 cruise to September 2021. Now having doubts that cruise will happen. Might have to move it again to September 2022. We decided on a backup plan to take a land based vacation in 2021 just in case it gets cancelled once again.

Same, except we've got ours booked Nov 1.

• 4 months later...