Who has stayed in an Edge Villa?

VaJoeCool

My wife has mobility issues and steps are difficult.  Looks like the Villas on the Edge have doors that access both floors (upper bedroom and lower main cabin).  Has anyone actually stayed in an Edge Villa suite who can provide feedback on this? 

3 hours ago, VaJoeCool said:

My wife has mobility issues and steps are difficult.  Looks like the Villas on the Edge have doors that access both floors (upper bedroom and lower main cabin).  Has anyone actually stayed in an Edge Villa suite who can provide feedback on this? 

I have not, but in a similar thread, a person who had, did say it is not best for mobility challenged folks.  Though as you point out, you can use one level for lower cabin access and go up elevator to the next for the bed/bath access and retreat as well.  Good luck

We stayed in an Edge Villa when we sailed on Edge in November 2019. If you have mobility issues, you may be better off booking a different stateroom, however, the Edge Villa is not necessarily a “No Go.”

This is a 2 floor suite, where there are stairs connecting the first and second floors inside the suite. In fairness, if you like this suite, and you want to get to the 2nd level, you would take the elevator to the 16th floor and travel outside through the Retreat to your back access door on Deck 16. This is not a long trip. That will take you to your bedroom and bathroom area on the 2nd level. You can also take the elevator to Deck 15, which is the access to your 1st floor level of the Edge Villa. You will not need to go outside in order to access your main floor door on Deck 15. The only time you will need to go outside is if you are on the 16th Deck (in your suite) and you need to go to another deck. You will need to go out your door on the second level, travel through the Retreat to the elevators, and go to your desired Deck by way of the elevators.

You may have a little more inconvenience to manoeuvre around the 2 floors of the Edge Villa, but it is not something that would take this stateroom out of consideration for you.

Hope this helps

Randy

• Like 2

Just now, hcat said:

Sounds like a complex work around !

It really isn’t that complicated when you get on board. Just didn’t want to give the impression that the Edge Villa was out of consideration for anyone with mobility issues.

Randy

32 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Not something we would care to do in our jammies!

Don’t need to. After your evening on board, you simply take the elevator to Deck 16 and enter your suite through the Retreat door leading to your bedroom area. Jammies remain indoors.

Randy

We've stayed in Celebrity, Royal and PH suites.  I can't count the number of times we've gone from the bedroom to the living area during the course of a day.  I can't imagine doing it via a hallway and elevator, nor could I ask my other half to go up and down for me.  Much as we would like to try a Villa Suite and don't like the size of the balcony on a RS, our next cruise is booked in a RS on Edge.  Of course, we have no expectation  of the cruise taking place and will be happy with our PH suites on our next S class cruises.

Mary Lou

The set up of the Edge Villa may not be ideal for someone with mobility issues but it is doable.

Whenever we are in a position to make a reasonable decision, it is important for us to have as much information as possible. It is at that point that we are better able to make the decision that is best for us.

The OP was asking for information to help them make a decision. That decision may be different than one we might make, but that’s OK. I’m not trying to sway them one way or another. I’m just trying to give them as much information as I can based on our experience.

Randy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VaJoeCool said:

In fairness, based on our experience with the Edge Villa, we would suggest you look at one of the other staterooms on Edge. There are many other alternatives that will allow you to enjoy what Edge has to offer without having to go through a series of inconveniences to make it work.

Randy

Randy, my response was based on our experiences in larger suites. If the OP has not sailed in one it is important to consider how many times you are likely to travel between the bedroom and living area. It is not just a question of going to bed at night and getting up in the morning.

I could see a day filled with “where’s my camera?” “Oh, it’s upstairs” “I’ll go up and get it” “who’s at the door down there?” “I’ll go down and see” “Oh dear, I guess my tote bag is on the bed” “I will go up and get it for you” and on and on.  There is no way that will be a relaxing vacation.  Book a one-story suite.

I was also in this suite. The doors on 16 are double doors,, and the outside door was  very heavy to me: one opens out, one opens in, so there's some juggling/coordination involved. There's also a fair size lip that needs to be crossed. The landing area/foyer on 16 is fairly small and it is at the top of the steps. I  would select a single level suite if the stairs are a problem. 

My DW has mobility issues and we are going to give the Villa a try.  

Part of living with a person with mobility issues is doing a lot of little extra things regardless if you are on one level or two levels.  Since I have great mobility, it really would make no difference if I had to go up a flight of stairs or down a hall to get something DW may need.  ❤️

The villa is very enticing to us for these reasons:

* Love the massive two-story windows. ( We have stayed in the RCCL Crown Loft 1718 & loved it) 

* The location with direct access to the retreat.

* No overhang to block the sun - Yes I am a sun worshiper.

* A private hot tub on the deck in the sunshine... Did I mention I love the sun?

Back to the mobility concern.  DW is really making the sacrifice here, not me.  

I don't think the stairs are a deal breaker for us.

Cheers!

🍹