Rollin', rollin' rollin' on a river, and a highway or two.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Because people move around so much now, LSL is not even a dream for most.  However, most get paid much more as they move for promotions.  

I imagine there are young people that don’t even know that LSL exists!!

2 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I imagine there are young people that don’t even know that LSL exists!!

You'd be right.  What I love about my girls is the confidence to ask for days off (without pay) or to switch dates for holidays.  One works 3 days per week and now the other one requested 4 days per week (after a year off to do a further degree).  She was going to ask for a 9 day fortnight, but '3 day a week daughter' said "no, go for a 4 day week"!!  Second week back, she worked two nights!

We travelled a lot all over the world and I am thankful for that. As a teacher I had the long holidays and my husband was also able to take leave. 

Unfortunately ten years ago when he was only 63 we had to fly back from a cruise holiday in Europe accompanied by two nurses due to a surprise diagnosis in Southampton of terminal lung cancer with metastasis to the bones which had been diagnosed here as a bulging disc. We had been advised to still go on the holiday and given lots of painkillers but things got much worse so he was checked into Southampton hospital for ten days before we flew back home. He passed away eight weeks later in hospital here on the Gold Coast. 

Until that time my husband had been quite fit and playing golf three times a week as he had retired earlier that year. So now I always urge people to travel while they still can and I am so glad that we did! 

Julie - I enjoyed reading about your trip and booked a two day cruise on Proud Mary together with my son and his wife who live in Adelaide. This will be for my birthday so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the SA border will still be open and that there won’t be any quarantine measures mid-April! 

Enjoy the Easter weekend wherever you are! 🐣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, queenslander said:

We travelled a lot all over the world and I am thankful for that. As a teacher I had the long holidays and my husband was also able to take leave. 

Unfortunately ten years ago when he was only 63 we had to fly back from a cruise holiday in Europe accompanied by two nurses due to a surprise diagnosis in Southampton of terminal lung cancer with metastasis to the bones which had been diagnosed here as a bulging disc. We had been advised to still go on the holiday and given lots of painkillers but things got much worse so he was checked into Southampton hospital for ten days before we flew back home. He passed away eight weeks later in hospital here on the Gold Coast. 

Until that time my husband had been quite fit and playing golf three times a week as he had retired earlier that year. So now I always urge people to travel while they still can and I am so glad that we did! 

Julie - I enjoyed reading about your trip and booked a two day cruise on Proud Mary together with my son and his wife who live in Adelaide. This will be for my birthday so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the SA border will still be open and that there won’t be any quarantine measures mid-April! 

Enjoy the Easter weekend wherever you are! 🐣

Words of wisdom, glad we travelled the world for 17 years post retirement before my wife passed last May from the big C.

So folks, do it !!

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Words of wisdom, glad we travelled the world for 17 years post retirement before my wife passed last May from the big C.

So folks, do it !!

You were lucky to have so many years of travel together, Les.  My mother died young, so I learnt young that life wasn't a dress rehearsal, so have travelled all my adult life.

• Like 1

I started cruising when my best friend was diagnosed as terminal with the big C at the age of 39. We managed 3 before she lost the battle, the first just the two of us to the South Pacific in Feb 2014. We then took family and her partner to PNG in Feb 2015 and then, just after we got home after that one, she found a Singapore - Brisbane cruise in June so we were off again. Unfortunately, she died in October 2015 but I will forever be thankful that we got enough notice to create lots of amazing memories before she left us!

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 10:03 AM, mr walker said:

We're fine here Les thanks. We are near the Nepean, but not in any danger. My Mum lives in a retirement village a lot closer to the river ( close to the Panthers Leagues Club) & some in the nearby area  there were evacuating yesterday. We are keeping an eye on it & will bring her here if needed. 

Hope all works out for your daughter.

Stay safe all!

Does your mum live in The Royce?

On 3/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, mr walker said:

We're fine here Les thanks. We are near the Nepean, but not in any danger. My Mum lives in a retirement village a lot closer to the river ( close to the Panthers Leagues Club) & some in the nearby area  there were evacuating yesterday. We are keeping an eye on it & will bring her here if needed. 

Hope all works out for your daughter.

Stay safe all!

I think Councils are irresponsible allowing developers to build Aged Care Homes in low lying areas which are often flood prone.

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think Councils are irresponsible allowing developers to build Aged Care Homes in low lying areas which are often flood prone.

$$$

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

$$$

Agree.  Same with caravan parks built in low lying flood prone areas.  Residents and visitors should be given an escape plan as waters come up so quickly with torrential rain and high seas.  It is only a matter of time before more people die.  

On 4/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, queenslander said:

Fingers crossed the borders stay open for you. It will be interesting to hear what the two day  cruise is like. The five day cruise was most lky retirees, as you'd expect as it was during the week. I suspect the two day cruise will have a wider age range.

I highly recommend the house sparking wine, it's a lovely crisp wine but not too acidic. Their house chardonnay was very nice too. I didn't get to try the red though.