Can standard balconies sleep 3?

FiremedicMike151

I believe they assign rooms of up to three or four scattered about - nothing special about some of the rooms - they will wheel in the extra bed, I think.

e.g., on Breeze, on deck 6 about half of the balcony cabins can accommodate 3 or 4.  Look at the deck plans, they list max guests when you hover over the cabin with the mouse, and the little symbols also tell you * = 3, Box = 4.

Some of them are rated for 3, some for 4. We are staying in a cabin for 3 a year from now because our step grand-daughter is going with us and it has a couch that can be made into a bed. I would expect that in a cabin rated for 4 that a pulldown bunk would be one of the options, on most ships. They do try to reserve the cabins with extra capacity for those that need it, so it's likely your previous balcony was only for 2.

15 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I believe they assign rooms of up to three or four scattered about - nothing special about some of the rooms - they will wheel in the extra bed, I think.

e.g., on Breeze, on deck 6 about half of the balcony cabins can accommodate 3 or 4.  Look at the deck plans, they list max guests when you hover over the cabin with the mouse, and the little symbols also tell you * = 3, Box = 4.

There isn't anything special about the rooms per se but the capacity for each room is dictated by the space available in the assigned lifeboat for that cabin and the other cabins assigned to the same lifeboat. While they may appear to be scattered about there is a detailed plan in place. They can't just wheel a bed into a 2 person cabin, the cabin has to be designated for 3 or 4 people.

When my family of four stayed in a standard balcony room, there was a pullman bed made up and the sofa was made up as a bed.  It was cozy and our DDs were under 14 years old.  Now we book an inside room for the DDs (now 18 & 20) across from our balcony room. It's nice to have the extra space and bathroom👍

Edited by ninjacat123

18 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

When my family of four stayed in a standard balcony room, there was a pullman bed made up and the sofa was made up as a bed.  It was cozy and our DDs were under 14 years old.  Now we book an inside room for the DDs (now 18 & 20) across from our balcony room. It's nice to have the extra space and bathroom👍

We did that for the last cruise that we took with our two youngest and it sure beat having everyone in the same cabin.

18 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

We did that for the last cruise that we took with our two youngest and it sure beat having everyone in the same cabin.

The DDs like having their own space and ordering room service (from the free selections).  I like having their 'mess' out of my cabin😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

4 in a cabin have a pulldown bed above the couch.  The couch is made up as a bed.    For 3 they usually just make the couch up as a bed- they do not lower the upper bed.

^This. In all of the standard balconies we have had, there wasn't a pull-down bunk. The couch was simply made into a bed for our son (who is now a college grad and can start paying for his own cruises! 😁).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

There isn't anything special about the rooms per se but the capacity for each room is dictated by the space available in the assigned lifeboat for that cabin and the other cabins assigned to the same lifeboat. While they may appear to be scattered about there is a detailed plan in place. They can't just wheel a bed into a 2 person cabin, the cabin has to be designated for 3 or 4 people.

There is something special about the cabins.  If it only has a capacity for two people, there won't be any pull down beds in the ceiling.  

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

There is something special about the cabins.  If it only has a capacity for two people, there won't be any pull down beds in the ceiling.  

And if the capacity is for 3 people it will have a couch that can be made into a bed, but I do take your point. I've never seen a bed that comes down from the ceiling, that would be cool. The only ones I've see fold up against the wall.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

And if the capacity is for 3 people it will have a couch that can be made into a bed, but I do take your point. I've never seen a bed that comes down from the ceiling, that would be cool. The only ones I've see fold up against the wall.

enhance

enhance

11 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

What do you mean?  What doesn't apply?  thx!

On Fantasy class, the 'standard balconies' were added to OV cabins, and the bunks are on the side of the wall, there is no couch.  

enhance

enhance

My family of four cruised on Fascination and I was trying to remember why I couldn't picture the two bunks...then I looked at our album and we were upsold to a Grand Suite, that's why!  The DDs loved the big bedroom with two big beds and my youngest took multiple baths in the tub! 😄

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

enhance

enhance

On Fantasy class, the 'standard balconies' were added to OV cabins, and the bunks are on the side of the wall, there is no couch.  

enhance

enhance

Thanks for the pics, it looks as cool as I thought it would!

12 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Mr. Frugal here with a word of advice. Book the interior cabins and with the money saved take a stroll outside on the decks, enjoy the sunshine and drink a few more DOTD's 

Works great unless you are married to Ms. SpendALot, then Mr. Frugal gets overruled. Repeatedly. I might someday convince her to try an Oceanview on a very short cruise, but even then I doubt it. She has made it quite clear that interiors are well in our past.🙂 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:12 AM, Essiesmom said:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thinking back on it, this is the cabin setup (except our singles were put together) we had on the Sensation.  How could I forget?  Kept smashing my head on the bunk bed my dd slept in - it was right above our heads and we had to duck to get into bed.

15 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Mr. Frugal here with a word of advice. Book the interior cabins and with the money saved take a stroll outside on the decks, enjoy the sunshine and drink a few more DOTD's 

I’ll never cruise without a balcony again, we just enjoy having our morning coffee in our own private outdoor space too much.. 

Besides, balconies on this cruise were only $339/pp, so I had zero problem “splurging” on them..

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, sparks1093 said:

Works great unless you are married to Ms. SpendALot, then Mr. Frugal gets overruled. Repeatedly. I might someday convince her to try an Oceanview on a very short cruise, but even then I doubt it. She has made it quite clear that interiors are well in our past.🙂 

lol, it's the opposite here - I'm always pushing for a balcony and she's happy enough with an OV. (we have never had an inside although she's willing to consider it way more than I am) Fortunately for me the balconies fell in my favor on our next 2 booked.  

I suspect as we climb the ranks and get more cruises under our belts we might just opt for more cruises in cheaper cabins rather than cruising less in balconies.

But I gotta get the balconies out of my system first.  Or win the lottery.

12 hours ago, originalgeek said:

lol, it's the opposite here - I'm always pushing for a balcony and she's happy enough with an OV. (we have never had an inside although she's willing to consider it way more than I am) Fortunately for me the balconies fell in my favor on our next 2 booked.  

I suspect as we climb the ranks and get more cruises under our belts we might just opt for more cruises in cheaper cabins rather than cruising less in balconies.

But I gotta get the balconies out of my system first.  Or win the lottery.

Unfortunately I can't use the "we can cruise more often if we sail in an inside cabin" argument because we can't cruise more often than we do due to her business. We can typically get 2 weeks away during any given year, one is for cruising, one is for a trip to Germany to see her family (I did offer to go to Germany twice, which I really wouldn't mind because I love it there so much, but she still wants to cruise).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Unfortunately I can't use the "we can cruise more often if we sail in an inside cabin" argument because we can't cruise more often than we do due to her business. We can typically get 2 weeks away during any given year, one is for cruising, one is for a trip to Germany to see her family (I did offer to go to Germany twice, which I really wouldn't mind because I love it there so much, but she still wants to cruise).

Germany, Scotland and Ireland are on our bucket list.  We'll have to give up a cruise one year to make that happen lol.  I don't know any of my Grandma's people in Germany but I have her old German Family bible from the 1800's that lists a lot of genealogy (if we weren't too afraid to thumb through it).  

• Like 1