Celebrity Eclipse HELP. Hump/Bump out on 2A or midship? Why or why not?

Mandy1021

Hi!

Our cruise has been postponed for the second time now; the room we have booked the last two times is taken. Our travel agent offered us a room nearby or asked if we were interested in one of those bump out rooms. We are very new to cruising so I spent last night trying to find my answer but haven't found anything, hoping someone can help here.

We are on the Eclipse, Alaskan Cruise RT Vancouver, 2A balcony room in early July (originally our honeymoon but will now be an anniversary trip 😅)

We were specifically looking at 7189, 7197 midship (which is where our original room was)

Or any of the 2A bump outs that are still available: 7223, 7227.

My concern with the bump outs is they talk about having a connecting door. My TA said that some people don't like them- is it loud? Can you hear your neighbour? He mentioned the view being better and not seeing life boats when you look down. True? I feel like both views would be similar- can someone confirm?

My other concern is they are near the elevators so I am concerned we will hear everything/everyone. I am a very light sleeper (sleep with earplugs to help that) which is my concern; I also read reviews that some rooms on the bump out are near housekeeping or pantry so there's its of noise that way.

Please forgive me as I'm sure this gets asked a lot but as I said we are very new to cruising and a lot of times I'm not even sure I understand what I'm reading 🤦‍♀️.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 🙂

Of the cabins you listed I would take 7227.  On Eclipse the connecting cabin is a non issue as it's an ingenious way where there is an extra set of doors outside your cabin which are tucked into the walls and are only used if you actually want to connect to the adjacent cabin.  In that case these extra doors form a foyer outside your regular stateroom door.  Don't give it a second thought.

As far a elevator noise there won't be any.  There is a wall between you and the elevators.  7227 is in a very quiet location.   The housekeeping pantry is further down near the cabins on the slant.   Repeat this is a very quiet location.   Grab it before it's gone.

image.png.783f9a83098900860917cee1d6631ece.png

• Like 2

I agree with Wrk2's assessment, the connecting door and proximity to the elevators is a non-issue.  However the connecting doors do cause an issue with the bathroom door that is an annoyance to me.  In a conventional cabin the bathroom door has the hinge on the left and the bathroom door opens towards the hallway.  If you want to go into the bathroom you walk toward the bathroom, open the door and go in.  However with the connecting cabins the bathroom door has the hinge on the right and opens toward the interior of the cabin.  The effect is that you need to walk past the bathroom door into the small space between the bathroom and cabin doors to open the bathroom door.   It's just awkward.  I would still probably take the hump cabin but I would avoid connecting cabins in other parts of the ship.

We were in one of those bump-out cabins on the Eclipse on Deck 6 starboard side. The issue that "ipee" raises about getting to the bathroom due to the way the cabin door and bathroom doors open is something that we never noticed in any S-class veranda cabin with the connecting doors.

Noise was an issue for us one evening when a group was on the outside deck below us. I imagine that being in one of these cabins portside would be not only more noisy, but also have the possibility of smoke drifting upwards since the smoking area is just below those pooortside cabins on Deck 5. Noise from the interior of the ship was nil.

The central location of these cabins cannot be beat- it's just 2 decks above Cafe al Bacio and being midships is convenient to everything!

However, since you are on an Alaska cruise, I suggest looking into a cabin forward because there is a direct view down to the water and there are no lifeboats and lights immediately below you. It is much easier to spot sealife and, if it ever gets dark enough on an Alaska itinerary, the lights do not interfere with the starry night sky.

We have been on all the "S" Class ships. We have noticed that sometimes the cabin doors open inward and sometimes they open outward. If it opens outward and someone in the cabin is in the area around the outside of the bathroom, that person may be able to be seen if someone else is walking by and the cabin door is open, for whatever reason. If the cabin door opens inward, it could conflict with opening the bathroom door at the same time. When there are connecting doors on the Reflection, the doors are magnetized when you want them to stay open and you and the other people next to you, (hopefully, you already know them) can walk between the rooms. The balcony separations also slide open with connecting cabins so you can see each other on the balconies without handing over the railing.

Not the best angle but this is what the connecting doors look like.  You have the two outside doors which if you are a party you have the option of using as a door and then the inner doors which everyone has.

20170406_133723.thumb.jpg.c51604a44849afff280a90987b673400.jpg

The balconies are the same as everyone else's and you can only be seen if you hang over.  Even though we were travelling together and our son was in a connecting room with the one next door (we couldn't get next door to each other).  As you can see you can only be seen by the one next to you if you are popping right out.  Both the kids were sticking out at their edge and I was right on mine and you can see that the screens are up to the rails.
IMG_5393.thumb.JPG.a5711704102bdaa58c5a6e081edb7be3.JPG

BTW this is room 8247 from 8243 on the Solstice which has the same floor plan.

The pictures are helpful, thank you! We are traveling alone which is why we were hesitant to get a "connecting room" but after reading the replies here I am feeling much better about our decision to book one of these rooms.

Thank you all for your help! 🙂

I would book Starboard side, as you won’t then get stale smoke from Deck 5 Port side.

The advantage of the hump cabins, is that they are in the centre of the ship, therefore least movement. I would not book a forward cabin, in case you have bad weather.

Have a look at the S class , someone will most probably have written a report.

6E97F6A4-6276-43DB-BD13-B07FF5585308.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

Everyone has their own opinions on these cabins.  Here's mine - I would take one of these cabins (usually called hump cabins) in a heartbeat.  They are always, always our go-to cabins on Celebrity.  I have sailed them many times and have never even noticed the bathroom door "issue".  Not saying it is not true, but I put it in quotes because it has never been remotely an issue for us. I honestly never noticed it.   Love the location near the elevators and the fact that being basically mid-ship there is less motion (which is rarely an issue on Alaska cruises regardless).  We've never had an issue with noise from the elevators at all, and as has been said the connecting door thing is a non-issue on these cabins due to the design.  It is always better not to be directly over or under a smoking area, but on Alaska cruises there are usually  fewer people hanging outside smoking anyway due to the weather, unlike Caribbean cruises.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 5:53 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Everyone has their own opinions on these cabins.  Here's mine - I would take one of these cabins (usually called hump cabins) in a heartbeat.  They are always, always our go-to cabins on Celebrity.  I have sailed them many times and have never even noticed the bathroom door "issue".  Not saying it is not true, but I put it in quotes because it has never been remotely an issue for us. I honestly never noticed it.   Love the location near the elevators and the fact that being basically mid-ship there is less motion (which is rarely an issue on Alaska cruises regardless).  We've never had an issue with noise from the elevators at all, and as has been said the connecting door thing is a non-issue on these cabins due to the design.  It is always better not to be directly over or under a smoking area, but on Alaska cruises there are usually  fewer people hanging outside smoking anyway due to the weather, unlike Caribbean cruises.

Thank you for this, it eases my mind as we have already confirmed our room. Hopefully the smoke won't be an issue.