NCL Mediterranean departing Barcelona- HOTEL prior to cruise

leblais

I think we are looking at the Cotton House Hotel, Autograph Collection  and the Hotel Neri Relais & Chateaux‎... They both get us in the city so we can walk around AND they are part of the AMEX hotel perk so we get an upgrade if available and 100 credit towards dinner/drinks.  Anyone ever stay in either of these? 

Also.... what are taxes and fees on hotels in Barcelona?  In US they can be as much as 20% or more.  Im looking at the bookings and they say its like 300 ish a night for either of them PLUS taxes and fees.... Just wondering how much we are talking and if its significant

1 hour ago, leblais said:

Also.... what are taxes and fees on hotels in Barcelona?  In US they can be as much as 20% or more.  Im looking at the bookings and they say its like 300 ish a night for either of them PLUS taxes and fees.... Just wondering how much we are talking and if its significant

Taxes are only a couple of Euros.

We have always stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar (pre- and post-cruise). It is not in the center of the city, but was one of the NCL hotels in the past (i.e., we could take a post-cruise excursion and be dropped off at the hotel doorstep). It is near a metro stop and across the street from a mall where we go for food. We just catch a taxi from the airport and to the cruise terminal. 

And yes, taxes are usually less than 2 euros. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 3/7/2021 at 9:44 PM, rhapsodybluezz said:

I stayed at Hotel Jazz twice before a cruise with NCL. Took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and again from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  It is walkable to Catalonya Square from the hotel.  It's a nice hotel with reasonable prices. 

I’m glad I’ve read this, as We’ve booked Hotel Jazz for our 2 nights pre cruise. Less than £100 per night B&B, good reviews on tripadviser, and looks really well located, for wandering around Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter as well as Eixample.

We’re planning to catch the airport bus to Catalunya Square - Cheap and straight forward - then walk to the hotel.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:45 PM, Katie H said:

I opened a Charles Schwab checking account just for that purpose.  No ATM fees on their end and any fees charged by the bank you use are refunded by Schwab.

The Charles Schwab checking account is the best kept travel secret! It's vital when you travel to a country where cash is still a primary form of payment (i.e. Japan) and you're at ATMs all the time. 

Also, re: Airport-hotel in Barcelona, I'd highly recommend the Barcelona Aerobus. It's a fraction of the cost of a taxi, and will deposit you at the city center (where most hotels are easily walkable).

The Hilton Barcelona is a bit of a walk from Las Ramblas and most of the major sites, so you might want to explore something more centrally located. 

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The Charles Schwab checking account is the best kept travel secret! It's vital when you travel to a country where cash is still a primary form of payment (i.e. Japan) and you're at ATMs all the time. 

If you are going to open a Charles Schwab account, note that you will be required to open a brokerage account at the same time, however you do not need to fund the account.  I have had mine since 2015.  I received one phone call a few weeks after I opened the accounts asking if I wanted to fund the brokerage account.  I explained that I only opened it for the checking account and he said fine and nobody has ever contacted me since.  The checking account is completely free including paper checks.

• Like 1

You should also post on the Spain section so others who don't cruise NCL can see and advise.

We were book into Casa Camper which is a relatively new hotel. Two blocks from La Rambles and short taxi ride to the port. However Covid happen and they cancel our booking. Not a problem getting a refund.

The reason we book this hotel is free breakfast but after 13:00 they provide a buffet right through the day and night. Not just snacks but soup, sandwiches, cheeses and meats as well as soft drinks, hot beverages and water. All free to their residents. 

Cost wise to stay is on par with a lot of hotels but free food added throughout the day 

• Like 1

I appreciate all the feedback, it was helpful and insightful. That said, I think we are sticking to our original NCL planned booking at the Hilton Diagonal Mar.  The decision is based on losing some perks if I cancel and rebook. I wish I had acted quicker but it is what it is. I am sure this wont be our last trip to Barcelona so all of this great info will definitely be used for future (and better planned) vacations. Thanks!!  

• Like 1

We stayed at the Montblanc Hotel in the Gothic Quarter. It was a nice hotel and walkable to everything in the quarter. We found a different restaurant to eat in each night that was small and not over filled with tourists. We did some shopping in stalls one evening and had a wonderful time. By day we booked day tours. We taxied from the airport to the hotel and also to the ship. We loved this cruise and was happily exhausted going home.     

1 hour ago, step78 said:

If you want to see the city and reduce the cost for a taxi: Buy a hop-on/hop-off sightseeing ticket for 24/48hrs and hop-off at cruise pier second day. We did all the routes with a 24h ticket.

This lets you off at the pier?  Is there a list of where and when this stops?

1 hour ago, leblais said:

This lets you off at the pier?  Is there a list of where and when this stops?

I don't ever remember it stopping at the piers.  World Trade Center, yes, if you are on Oceania, Azamara, Seabourn and the like, but not the 5 cruise terminals on the other side of the bridge. 

Routes and a link to a .pdf map here

Edited by ECCruise

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I don't ever remember it stopping at the piers.  World Trade Center, yes, if you are on Oceania, Azamara, Seabourn and the like, but not the 5 cruise terminals on the other side of the bridge. 

Routes and a link to a .pdf map here

Absolutely correct. Folks, use a taxi....they are not expensive, and saves bumping your luggage along using public transport! 😉

• Like 1

I know the OP has already selected their place to stay for this trip.

Thought I'd still make a recommendation for others who may search for a Barcelona Hotel in the future...

We recommend both the Hotel Universal Barcelona & the Hotel Barcelona House.

Hotel Universal Barcelona - we have stayed twice & enjoy the location, views from the roof top, the rooms, breakfast & service. It's very convenient to La Rambla, Tapas, the waterfront, tram, train...
Johnny originally found Hotel Universal Barcelona recommendation on Cruise Critic 🙂

Hotel Barcelona House is a smaller property & adjacent to La Rambla.

Wherever you choose - ENJOY!!!

Edited by Von & John

18 hours ago, Von & John said:

I know the OP has already selected their place to stay for this trip.

Thought I'd still make a recommendation for others who may search for a Barcelona Hotel in the future...

We recommend both the Hotel Universal Barcelona & the Hotel Barcelona House.

Hotel Universal Barcelona - we have stayed twice & enjoy the location, views from the roof top, the rooms, breakfast & service. It's very convenient to La Rambla, Tapas, the waterfront, tram, train...
Johnny originally found Hotel Universal Barcelona recommendation on Cruise Critic 🙂

Hotel Barcelona House is a smaller property & adjacent to La Rambla.

Wherever you choose - ENJOY!!!

Ya know.. the more I think on it. I do not have to keep the hotel. I only lose the perks if I cancel the whole thing and rebook. I really could just cancel the hotel and get a different one... I will think on this.  Seems like there are some really good recommendations out there... We are more of the kind of people that like to walk right out of the hotel and get to exploring what ever is around and these seem soo much better suited to what we want.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, leblais said:

Currently looking to book at the Hotel Neri Relais ---  Anyone been there?  Seems like an ideal location right in the gothic quarter. 

I haven't stayed in this specific hotel, but the barri gotic is a great area, with a ton of smaller European-style hotels. You'll be right by las Ramblas, which is quintessential Barcelona. 

A quick check shows that the Neri Relais is an American Express "Fine Hotels & Resorts." From my experiences, the FHR hotels are generally pretty great. On our last time in Barcelona in the summer of 2019, we stayed at the Cotton House, a FHR hotel in the Eixample, and couldn't have been happier. 

Also, I know the NCL forum isn't a place to offer travel tips, but I'd highly recommend purchasing your attraction tickets in advance. Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, etc. Lots of these are limited/timed-admission, and if tickets aren't sold out you'll waste way too much time waiting to buy them in person.

• Like 2

We stayed at the Montblanc 5 years ago, but booked it ourselves rather than going through NCL.  I don't know if it is the same now, but NCL used to charge per person, and not per room, which doubled the cost.  The hotel was nice, clean, had a pool, generally quiet and very conveniently located by La Rambla and the Gothic Qtr.  The port was a short and inexpensive taxi trip away which let us off in front of the ship.  It was located on a main street paralleling La Rambla.   We may go back to Barcelona in a couple of years, and rather than stay at the same place, I may take note of all of the input from this topic!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I haven't stayed in this specific hotel, but the barri gotic is a great area, with a ton of smaller European-style hotels. You'll be right by las Ramblas, which is quintessential Barcelona. 

A quick check shows that the Neri Relais is an American Express "Fine Hotels & Resorts." From my experiences, the FHR hotels are generally pretty great. On our last time in Barcelona in the summer of 2019, we stayed at the Cotton House, a FHR hotel in the Eixample, and couldn't have been happier. 

Also, I know the NCL forum isn't a place to offer travel tips, but I'd highly recommend purchasing your attraction tickets in advance. Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, etc. Lots of these are limited/timed-admission, and if tickets aren't sold out you'll waste way too much time waiting to buy them in person.

Thanks for the info... very helpful. Yeah, the cotton house was on the list too (we are using the AMEX plat perks) but this one seemed to have some interesting charm to it. Very small, quant and seemed to have the feeling of being part of the community, rather than a tourist. 

1 hour ago, hernando52 said:

We stayed at the Montblanc 5 years ago, but booked it ourselves rather than going through NCL.  I don't know if it is the same now, but NCL used to charge per person, and not per room, which doubled the cost.  The hotel was nice, clean, had a pool, generally quiet and very conveniently located by La Rambla and the Gothic Qtr.  The port was a short and inexpensive taxi trip away which let us off in front of the ship.  It was located on a main street paralleling La Rambla.   We may go back to Barcelona in a couple of years, and rather than stay at the same place, I may take note of all of the input from this topic!

that was also on my list.... thanks for input.

20 hours ago, leblais said:

Yeah, the cotton house was on the list too (we are using the AMEX plat perks) but this one seemed to have some interesting charm to it. Very small, quant and seemed to have the feeling of being part of the community, rather than a tourist. 

Cotton House used to be like the textile HQ of Barcelona. The renovation into a hotel really embraced this, with public spaces having all sorts of textile and shirt themes. The room was great, with a very Japanese style split bathroom with separate toilet and wet room spaces. There was a huge soaking tub, which was definitely enjoyed. 

It's closer to la Perdrera and Sagrada Familia than most of the gothic quarter hotels, which is why we picked it. 

Re the platinum perks, we used the $100 on an excellent Catalan dinner at their restaurant. The breakfast spread was great as well, with a full continental spread and the option to order hot items off the menu.