The Debbie Downers have been right all along

wesport

Just now, john2003 said:

Not that I am aware of. I think we have just reviewed the results where it has been tested.

That begs the question if it has actually been tested anywhere!  Although I am aware it is being done in some parts of Europe I have not seen any info on controlled testing.  You can certainly read positive statements from Europe, but not sure if that is based on real testing or just anecdotal.  

Hank

I have been lurking again.  So I have to ask, why doesn't Canada just ask the US for some vaccine.  It is clear we have more than we need.  So correct if I am wrong - has anyone from Canada asked the US?

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have been lurking again.  So I have to ask, why doesn't Canada just ask the US for some vaccine.  It is clear we have more than we need.  So correct if I am wrong - has anyone from Canada asked the US?

We have received some Astra Zeneca from the US - on loan.  We have to return it later.  At the moment, I don't think AZ has been approved in the US.

31 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Canada has and New Brunswick has asked Maine.  They have said they will send vaccine once they have theirs done and can see the way clear but not before.

As Vict0riann mentioned, we  were lent some AZ as it’s not approved in the U.S.  But, yes, we have asked.

In Alberta we are grateful that The Blackfoot Nation in Montana has shared and even set up clinics at the border.  Truly remarkable,  as we are all in this together.  

Canada now seems to have enough vaccine supply, in our province everyone will be able to book their second shots this month.  

I do know that recently the premier of Manitoba asked President Biden directly for vaccine,   As they are in very dire straits in that province.  They are having to send their ICU patients out of province for care.   I’m not sure of the response, but he was truly desperate. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3

I am glad to hear those that were asked have stepped up to the plate.  I would hope the federal governments could work this out as every vaccine in the US is actually bought and paid for by the US federal government.  

Edited by Mary229

Just announced this afternoon that BC has reached 71.9% of over 18-year olds vaccinated with at least one shot.  Second jabs are coming along nicely, and they are working on over 12s now for first doses.  On Vancouver Island we have been in the single digits for daily new cases for a couple of weeks, 2 today and yesterday and 1 the day before.   We just have to stay the course.  Dr, Bonnie said the optimum is 100% vaccinated!

• Like 7

For me, this was always medical, not political; the hospital which cared for the first US Covid patient is the hospital I refer my patients to.  The mask shortage developed very quickly when an outbreak among nursing home residents appeared shortly after that first case, and suddenly everyone needed high quality disposable surgical masks all the time (not just during a procedure), with changes of disposable masks recommended at least every 4 hours.

I don't think there was any "cover up" but rather a gradual unfolding knowledge of the nature of the virus and the disease it caused.  We have had other coronaviruses but Covid-19 was brand new and quite different, and in medical circles at least, there was always uncertainty and speculation (still is, to this day) about its origin, though politicians may have had reasons to favor one explanation over another.

That Operation Warp Speed led from defining the viral genome to effective vaccines in less than a year is remarkable.  I am grateful for the vaccine, and for having enough masks to protect most of us (estimates are that approx 1,500 doctors, nurses and others in healthcare from Covid) during that development period.

And now we may begin cruising again soon - excellent news!

• Like 10

This is easy for us.  

We leave our medical issues to physicians, health care experts.

We leave our faith issues to faith leaders

We leave our politics to politicians

What we do not do is listen to musings from any of them about the two that they know little or nothing about.

Most especially politicians and faith leaders who typically have their own self serving interests at heart.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, iancal said:

This is easy for us.  

We leave our medical issues to physicians, health care experts.

We leave our faith issues to faith leaders

We leave our politics to politicians

Yup, and I'm certainly not going to rely on the opinions of people on a cruise forum to be my go-to information source for Covid 19 or related issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We don't yet know the duration of immunity to Covid (either by vaccine of infection) as it is too new, but you could be correct - that we won't or can't achieve full "herd immunity."  I just read a new journal article this morning that suggests that immunity lasts at least 10 months; it's longer every time a batch of new article comes out.

Immunity depends on many factors - various antibody levels, B-cell and T-cell actions, R0 ("R naught - the number of persons an infected individual transmit the infection to), the rate and significance of mutations, vaccine effectiveness (our current vaccines are very effective), vaccine uptake,  and who knows what else. 

Some level of vaccination will likely provide "effective herd immunity" where Covid-19 exists in the population but at a low level.  Measles has become quite rare in the US, though when the number of anti-vaxxers rises, so do cases of measles.  Birth defects due to rubella (German measles) are really rare in recent years.  We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Immunization requirements preparatory to travel - like cruise ship requirements - is one tool to use in getting as close as possible to herd immunity.

• Like 11

Vaccination and natural immunity acquired from infection will eventually produce functional community immunity. Covid won’t disappear completely but hospitalization and death will become much less common. Boosters including variants of concern may be recommended at some point but the human immune system is an amazing thing with a long memory. I’m happy to get a booster or upgrade anytime if it means a return to travel and normal life.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, tosteve1 said:

Vaccination and natural immunity acquired from infection will eventually produce functional community immunity. Covid won’t disappear completely but hospitalization and death will become much less common. Boosters including variants of concern may be recommended at some point but the human immune system is an amazing thing with a long memory. I’m happy to get a booster or upgrade anytime if it means a return to travel and normal life.

My sentiments exactly!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 7:34 AM, Hlitner said:

I would hope that HAL does allow those with AZ or even the combinations (used in some countries of Europe) on cruises.   There is not any controversy about the AZ or combinations as far as efficacy (they work fine) but other issues regarding testing protocols have kept them from getting approval in the US.  In fact, the AZ Phase 3 testing is almost like a comedy of errors which is very surprising giving AZ's long experience in the industry.    I have read some very positive articles about the use of vaccine combinations (such as AZ and Pfizer) that indicate they might even have better efficacy then a single brand vaccine.  But without adequate test data the idea is not going to embraced by the US FDA.   This is going to be a "big deal" with booster shots since whether or not one would need a booster of the same brand (of their original shots) or could use any approved vaccine is a question.

Hank

Tell that to the South African government who terminated their use of the AZ vaccine after a trial in which it demonstrated less that 10% efficacy against the B.1.351 varient. AZ works fine against original and B.117 but not against some other variants.

• Like 1

In many parts of Canada our first dose percentage of eligible adults is actually higher than many US states.

Where we live in Canada (Alberta) we personally have not had any issue in obtaining both Pfizer shots.  Got our 2nd shot last Friday, after being scheduled at the Pharmacy on Monday late  PM.  We could have gone Thursday.  Exact same for the first shot.   Moreover, some large vaccination places are sitting half empty.  When we got our shot on Friday there was nobody in front of us, no person waiting afterward.  Friends called last Wednesday AM and had an appt. for early afternoon of the same day.   Daughter and SIL experienced the exact same in their northern city.

The health authority is so concerned they have reduced spots at large centers in favor of doing pop up vac centers in low vac. areas as well as mobile clinics.  This is working.

Seems to me that where we live it is more a case of demand or stimulating demand and awareness rather than supply.  We have our share of vaccine hesitant individuals.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, bcummin said:

Enjoy your freedom, but please be careful.  COVID-19 is not finished.  Please get vaccinated.  There is still more to be learned, if you choose to listen.

Barbara

Absolutely agree.  Those who think this is over are ignoring the stats and what is going on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iancal said:

Absolutely agree.  Those who think this is over are ignoring the stats and what is going on.

No, we are just ignoring the people who refuse to get a vaccine.  We are not ignoring those who are in countries who aren't able to get one, we are actively writing our public officials asking that they send our surplus elsewhere.   There are some estimates that the US has 1 BILLION vaccines in surplus, that is 1,000,000,000.

If you want to change this contact your officials and tell them that every public announcement should include a reminder to be vaccinated.  They should focus on that and not their other agendas

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1