Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You need to tell your TA which cabin grade you want, so make sure the grade you specify is not one of those cabins you don't want.

To be honest, after yesterday's frenzy, I don't think you will have much choice. The longer you wait, the less choice you will have.

For those who booked online there was no option to select your preferred cabin grade, only type, inside/seaview/standard balcony/deluxe balcony etc. I find this worrying as why would those booking via their TA get to chose grade/location when P&O is having to pay them commission - not logical. for example the standard balcony grade had one price for 7 categories  and the deluxe balcony 5 categories - EA EB ED EE EF - some in much more desirable locations but one standard price

6 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I think I had brain freeze yesterday. 

We thought the  Iona scenic cruise on the date we wanted was going up to Scotland then while booking we found it was going round the Channel Islands, but we booked anyway  THEN I thought I had made a mistake booking Saver instead of Select  as I hadn't booked a specific cabin so frantic phone call to Agents.  Lovely man explained cabins could not be specifically booked on the scenic cruises.    He did say that if the allocated cabin was not a welcome one to ring up and hopefully change.

We were lucky to get a Conservatory Balcony so just to sit and read, drink wine, chat, and look at the sea... sounds like magic to me.  Hope it goes ahead (late September)

With  a Conservatory cabin you could be either on the promenade deck or deck 9. I booked a Deluxe balcony which are spread out over several decks including some less desirable locations including forward facing and 2 cabins on the promenade deck. As a solo cruiser I might be more likely to get a 'bad' location when the good locations have paid exactly the same fare, actually I paid slightly less, about a £100

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You need to get a move on. I'm thinking that these cruises are pretty much sold out already.

Not according to the latest P&O info, they say there are still lots of availability on all cruises, the main problem is that their online booking system is not fit for purpose.

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not according to the latest P&O info, they say there are still lots of availability on all cruises, the main problem is that their online booking system is not fit for purpose.

I had an email yesterday afternoon from P&O saying the system is up and running! 

I’ve looked on the website but not planning on booking one at the moment.

Loving reading all about them though! My friend has booked an all inclusive break in an hotel in  Norfolk and I know she can take trips out but the nicer rooms were more expensive than these cruises!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Can anyone tell me what the process is when you pre-register with your TA for these British Isles cruises? 
do you call them to register and they call you when the cruises are released or do you tell them what dates and cabins you require and they book for you and phone later with the details? 

Our TA has kept us posted throughout.  We have decided to go with Princess so she has our deposit and cabin grade ready to make our booking tomorrow morning. We are hoping that TAs get through more easily than trying to book online ourselves.  I think they can request a specific grade in the category you pick and not sure you can do that if you book yourself.   Have you got a TA you trust?   We have used the same person for over 10 years and wouldn’t book any other way now.  👍🏻   

I’ve decided that these summer cruises aren’t for me, for various reasons, but I will be greatly looking forward to seeing photos and reading balanced reports about the experience.

I hope the cruises are enjoyable for all, and they go off without any hitches. 

• Like 9

We’ve booked this morning and got straight through on the phone to P&O. We’ve gone for a GA balcony cabin on Iona 4th Sept. Cruise personaliser was up and running in just a few minutes. 

• Like 5

I’ve looked and we can book drinks packages and gifts but not select dining yet. 

43 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We went into Cruise Personaliser to see if we could get in early for a booking for Limelight.. the dining/entertainment venue, but it wouldn't let us book. Has anyone else tried.  We are on Iona.

55 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We went into Cruise Personaliser to see if we could get in early for a booking for Limelight.. the dining/entertainment venue, but it wouldn't let us book. Has anyone else tried.  We are on Iona.

We've had a look just out of interest.  Says to ask on board.  

• Like 1

I was somewhat confused yesterday with the desperation to get a single occupancy balcony cabin booked for the Iona Scottish Islands cruise. The web site would not let me book a standard balcony so I had to go for a deluxe. Spent last night worrying that I would end up in one of the 2 cabins on Promenade deck or the forward facing ones which might be no good with the ship moving all the time.

I checked my cruise personaliser this afternoon and the cabin allocated is Deluxe Balcony MID. All on the bulge decks 9 to 15 inclusive, EA or EB category, even EB category will be OK. 🥳😁

Maybe they are not allocating the forward and aft categories to maintain social distancing?

Thinks, how do I confirm the category in case they change it?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I checked my cruise personaliser this afternoon and the cabin allocated is Deluxe Balcony MID. All on the bulge decks 9 to 15 inclusive, EA or EB category, even EB category will be OK. 🥳😁

Am I right in saying that Deluxe means - slightly larger than 'Standard' with cabin on the above and lower decks. If that's the case, you've done well.

I would love to know the following, just beeing curious and nosey i guess.

What % of guest capacity will they sale at. 50% 60%?

Also how close are they to selling out, would love to know how full each cruise is. 

I know its trival but its exciting times tbh

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Thinks, how do I confirm the category in case they change it?

If you booked direct they should have sent you a booking confirmation email. With that email should be attachement which is your booking confirmation. On that it says the grade of cabin you’ve booked. 

1 hour ago, Tilly20 said:

If you booked direct they should have sent you a booking confirmation email. With that email should be attachement which is your booking confirmation. On that it says the grade of cabin you’ve booked. 

Doh! Thanks, I never looked at the second pdf, the one that did not download properly, it is EB grade so either deck 9 or deck 15, both near the bars etc so I am happy

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Am I right in saying that Deluxe means - slightly larger than 'Standard' with cabin on the above and lower decks. If that's the case, you've done well.

standard balcony cabins are 170 sq ft ( a small number bigger) and deluxe balcony are 226 sq ft although some of the balconies are a bit smaller than standard. The basic difference is the deluxe has a sofa and a queen sized bed.

If i could have booked a standard I would have done as I have for my Iona cruises next February and May - hopefully

42 minutes ago, davecttr said:

standard balcony cabins are 170 sq ft ( a small number bigger) and deluxe balcony are 226 sq ft although some of the balconies are a bit smaller than standard. The basic difference is the deluxe has a sofa and a queen sized bed.

Ah right thanks for that. I know on some lines the Deluxe cabins have cabins above and below, rather than public areas and are therefore much quieter.

We were on a Costa Translocation cruise in Nov 2019, at our large table there was an Aussie couple who were on an earlier Trans and their cabin was below a restaurant that served breakfasts. Bizarrely the head waiter (or someone) decided to change the layout pattern every day and they were awoken at 5 every morning to tables being dragged around above. They were stuck with this cabin for 3 weeks. They tried to change it but no luck - ouch! 

6 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We've had a look just out of interest.  Says to ask on board.  

On ‘normal’ cruises it often says ask on board at first then it pops up! 

The one time I went on Britannia it seemed they took bookings on the day if they had space. They might want to confirm the acts? Normally it’s 90 days before it shows up. I booked as soon as it came up and we were right at the front, not that there’s any bad tables in there.

I would check from time to time it will probably be limited people allowed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Ah right thanks for that. I know on some lines the Deluxe cabins have cabins above and below, rather than public areas and are therefore much quieter.

We were on a Costa Translocation cruise in Nov 2019, at our large table there was an Aussie couple who were on an earlier Trans and their cabin was below a restaurant that served breakfasts. Bizarrely the head waiter (or someone) decided to change the layout pattern every day and they were awoken at 5 every morning to tables being dragged around above. They were stuck with this cabin for 3 weeks. They tried to change it but no luck - ouch! 

The deluxe balconies on Iona are on the 6 decks from 9 to 15. The EB grade are decks 9 and 15 with 4 decks of EA grade sandwiched between them. Deck 9 EB grade have the Keel and Cow gastropub below and the EB grade on deck 15 have the pool deck above

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The deluxe balconies on Iona are on the 6 decks from 9 to 15. The EB grade are decks 9 and 15 with 4 decks of EA grade sandwiched between them. Deck 9 EB grade have the Keel and Cow gastropub below and the EB grade on deck 15 have the pool deck above

Ok so plenty of choice there to find a quiet spot. The largest ship we've been on is Azura and happy to try something bigger like Iona and Britannia. We'll have a decko at their 22/23 itineraries when things settle down to 'normal'.

2 minutes ago, rachiem said:

I've booked a 3 night break for the 8th Aug. Haven't sailed with P&O before so this will be a nice taster cruise

Yes should be nice weather in  August. We were tempted to spend our FCCs on a P&O Staycation but instead opted for a 'stopping' cruise on Ventura out of Southampton to Spain and Portugal Oct '22.

If their short summer breaks had included say Cobh or Belfast or maybe Liverpool or Glasgow, then we'd have jumped at it. Then they wouldn't strictly be 'Staycations Cruises' 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I would love to know the following, just beeing curious and nosey i guess.

What % of guest capacity will they sale at. 50% 60%?

Also how close are they to selling out, would love to know how full each cruise is. 

I know its trival but its exciting times tbh

No inside cabins being sold so that will reduce capacity to around 50% as no children onboard the balcony cabins will probably be just 2 occupancy.  

• Like 2

Just now, seapals2 said:

No inside cabins being sold so that will reduce capacity to around 50% as no children onboard the balcony cabins will probably be just 2 occupancy.  

I doubt they will go for minimum capacity on those cruises post Pandemic. It simply not worth it. I pretty much sure that all the cabins will be booked out and there will be tons of people on board

• Haha 2

Just now, Roger88 said:

I doubt they will go for minimum capacity on those cruises post Pandemic. It simply not worth it. I pretty much sure that all the cabins will be booked out and there will be tons of people on board

there are no inside cabins for sale.  Unless they suddenly decide to change this in the months to come capacity will never reach 100% .. I think there are aprox 750 balcony cabins ... 1500 guests .. 50% capacity.