Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well I booked eventually. Early Saver Standard balcony for single occupancy Iona to Scotland. Went to the payment page, filled in all the details and then hit 'pay', at which point the red message said that category sold out - Aaargh!

Back a few pages and selected Deluxe balcony, followed the same procedure and it worked, including taking my money, I even have the confirmatory emails. Never been in a deluxe balcony. Actually never been in a balcony cabin.

The price - aargh again. with my FCC credit it cost the princely sum of £2014 or £287 per night. Deposit £302 and the balance by 22 July. Is shareholder benefit still available?

Am I daft? no, I really desperately need to have a holiday this summer and at the present rate I will have saved the fare by final payment date.

Now I need to arrange insurance and book a private car transfer to Southampton. There are local firms recommended by neighbours that do the Southampton run, should be less than 2 hours journey time.

Delighted for you Dave.

Graham.

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

My first 'cruise' was a transatlantic crossing on QE2, which was fabulous.  The second one was aboard P&O's Victoria, 28,000 tons and 800 pax.  Loved it and wished she was still around as I'd still be cruising on her.

Smallest ship I have sailed on was MV Funchal under the now defunct Portuscale Cruises.  A shade over 10,000 tons and had about 350 pax on.  Lovely little ship but I would certainly understand why many would find that toooooo small 😁

My first cruise was on Sea Princess in 1991 which later became Victoria.
Gorgeous ship but she didn’t ride the waves that well (esp if you near the pointy end!).

• Like 2

I wish all who have booked a good cruise 🙂

Our phone call today was to our annual travel insurance provider, (via bank), to make sure they do not auto renew our policy and charge us for existing conditions at the beginning of April.  We have had a number of hospital appointments between us over the last six months that would have to be declared of we renew now, so decided best to opt out until we want to book a holiday later in the year.  At least we both now have the all clear from various investigations, so hope to be far better placed for insurance come the autumn.  We are still booked on the Sky Princess cruise for late October, but not convinced it will go ahead, or whether we would want to pay the balance in July if it looks like it will.  Like others will be looking out for reviews etc. of these summer cruises.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Gorgeous ship but she didn’t ride the waves that well (esp if you near the pointy end!).

Did two cruises on her and felt she rode the seas well.  She was built as the Kungsholm for Swedish America Line to do a regular transatlantic route...

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Well I booked eventually. Early Saver Standard balcony for single occupancy Iona to Scotland. Went to the payment page, filled in all the details and then hit 'pay', at which point the red message said that category sold out - Aaargh!

Back a few pages and selected Deluxe balcony, followed the same procedure and it worked, including taking my money, I even have the confirmatory emails. Never been in a deluxe balcony. Actually never been in a balcony cabin.

The price - aargh again. with my FCC credit it cost the princely sum of £2014 or £287 per night. Deposit £302 and the balance by 22 July. Is shareholder benefit still available?

Am I daft? no, I really desperately need to have a holiday this summer and at the present rate I will have saved the fare by final payment date.

Now I need to arrange insurance and book a private car transfer to Southampton. There are local firms recommended by neighbours that do the Southampton run, should be less than 2 hours journey time.

Really pleased for you. We have booked a deluxe balcony on Iona for next May so I’ll look forward to hearing what you think of it 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

We did our first trans-Atlantic on her to prepare ourselves for longer cruises, we had a smooth crossing in our opinion yet we met people who thought it was quite rough. Our cabin was at the blunt end.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We did our first trans-Atlantic on her to prepare ourselves for longer cruises, we had a smooth crossing in our opinion yet we met people who thought it was quite rough. Our cabin was at the blunt end.

Yes, we all experience the motion of the ocean differently. Like you, I've been on cruises where someone says "oh, isn't it rough today" and I'm thinking 'but the ship is hardly moving'...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

According to All Clear - it's when you book, since that is when your cover starts.

Staysure state on their Facebook page on 18th March with regards to the staycation cruises that once you have booked dont forget to take out cruise travel insurance so that you are covered. They obviously know the current situation about FCDO current advice about not to travel so they obviously deem you insured as long as you have adequate insurance for the date of the cruise NOT when you booked.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

really pleased you finally got it booked , it doesn’t matter how much it cost it’s your money you can afford it so enjoy it , I look forward to how you find her as we’ve booked a canaries cruise in feb next year on her , we were so very tempted to book a cruise but my brother in law as just recently been diagnosed with esophagus cancer and just about to start treatment, so we are hoping to go out to fuerteventura when safe to do so to help out for a wee while in taking the dog for walks when he’s feeling not to good .

Hope everyone one else booking today got what they wanted and enjoy your cruises 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Good for you Dave.  I saw your earlier posts saying that you couldn't get through and I felt frustrated for you - I was going to offer to take your place in the queue!  I often take a deluxe balcony - got one for next year on Ventura - and I love them.  There is so much more room to move about and they usually have a bath as well as a shower (although the new ships may not have).  If we can't treat ourselves now, then when can we.  Good on you.  Best wishes.  Jane.x

• Like 4

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

Good for you Dave, glad you got something.

1 hour ago, Camberley said:

Just booked for end of July. Personally, I like the idea of this - a lot; even with it being even more of just a floating hotel and our dubious “British summer”.

I’m so looking forward to being on a floating 5 star hotel with all meals included 🤗and really do love our British summers and sea days so I’m liking this a lot too

• Like 6

Loving all the excitement that’s coming through in these posts from those who have made their bookings.   Can fully understand how you are feeling when we can’t even book a restaurant until April and that’s only to sit outside!  
We remain undecided ... husband is 70 in August and we have booked the whole family into a hotel for a couple of nights to celebrate ... had this been an option we would have been tempted but with teenage unvaccinated grandkids it’s not possible.  
I hope they ease the need for mask wearing even if it’s only on the outside decks.  In theory you have no infection onboard .. no cases .. vaccinated and tested passengers ... should be no community transmission.  It should really be one of the safest places to be on the planet.  The crew will be the only risk factor.  
Lets hope the sailings all go without a hitch and pave the way for the rest of the year.  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, luv2cruzuk said:

Just booked a little 3 nighter on Britannia. 8th July. looking forward to it. 

Waiting for Weds to book Princess too!

We are looking at this one...when do you get the cabin allocation. I really don't want deck 15 with an overhang

Can anyone tell me what the process is when you pre-register with your TA for these British Isles cruises? 
do you call them to register and they call you when the cruises are released or do you tell them what dates and cabins you require and they book for you and phone later with the details? 

3 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

Can anyone tell me what the process is when you pre-register with your TA for these British Isles cruises? 
do you call them to register and they call you when the cruises are released or do you tell them what dates and cabins you require and they book for you and phone later with the details? 

There is no pre registration now, the cruises were released yesterday and can be booked via website, contact centre or a travel agent.

1 hour ago, rachiem said:

We are looking at this one...when do you get the cabin allocation. I really don't want deck 15 with an overhang

You need to tell your TA which cabin grade you want, so make sure the grade you specify is not one of those cabins you don't want.

To be honest, after yesterday's frenzy, I don't think you will have much choice. The longer you wait, the less choice you will have.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Minnie29 said:

You need to get a move on. I'm thinking that these cruises are pretty much sold out already.

I think I had brain freeze yesterday. 

We thought the  Iona scenic cruise on the date we wanted was going up to Scotland then while booking we found it was going round the Channel Islands, but we booked anyway  THEN I thought I had made a mistake booking Saver instead of Select  as I hadn't booked a specific cabin so frantic phone call to Agents.  Lovely man explained cabins could not be specifically booked on the scenic cruises.    He did say that if the allocated cabin was not a welcome one to ring up and hopefully change.

We were lucky to get a Conservatory Balcony so just to sit and read, drink wine, chat, and look at the sea... sounds like magic to me.  Hope it goes ahead (late September)

• Like 4