Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

31 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

This is what I can't understand? Sharon is saying nothing will be covered if it is booked before 17th May - so nowhere should even be selling holidays until 17th May then by that logic?

We booked a holiday to Menorca before Christmas for September departure. If TUI cancel, we get out money back, if they go bust we get the money back via our cc. We have annual cover which covers us if we go.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Surely it can’t be that low Wowzz? I would have thought that they’d need 50-60% minimum just to break even, and even that would be with a reduced sized crew. Unless they are running them at a big loss just to get them back up and running for the proper restart in the Autumn? That could help explain the excessive prices?

That was my thought. Just repeating what a poster was told by his TA on the other thread about this subject.

Purely out of interest, I just had a look on the website at a three night one on Britannia in September. Inside was up at £679 and a single balcony at £759. I'm not that desperate to see the interiors of Britannia...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

Purely out of interest, I just had a look on the website at a three night one on Britannia in September. Inside was up at £679 and a single balcony at £759. I'm not that desperate to see the interiors of Britannia...

This is exactly the reason I'm holding out for Wednesday for Sky / Regal Princess or Queen Elizabeth next week.

43 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

This is what I can't understand? Sharon is saying nothing will be covered if it is booked before 17th May - so nowhere should even be selling holidays until 17th May then by that logic?

My understanding is this: If you book a holiday or cruise whilst there is a FCO advisory against travelling, then you would not be able to make a claim on your travel insurance if you had to cancel and lost money before departure (due to sickness, bereavement etc). However, I am pretty sure that as long as the FCO advisory against cruise travel had been removed before you travel, then you would be covered by the medical cover should you need to claim during the trip.

Someone tell me if I am wrong but that would make sense to me.

Edited by simon stingray
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, simon stingray said:

My understanding is this: If you book a holiday or cruise whilst there is a FCO advisory against travelling, then you would not be able to make a claim on your travel insurance if you had to cancel and lost money before departure (due to sickness, bereavement etc). However, I am pretty sure that as long as the FCO advisory against cruise travel had been removed before you travel, then you would be covered by the medical cover should you need to claim during the trip.

Someone tell me if I am wrong but that would make sense to me.

But what if the guidance was removed, and then you made a claim? 

Finally, after 2 hours getting nowwhere on the Website, got through on the phone to P and O.

Deluxe Balcony booked for G129...slightly annoyed that prices have gone up through the morning, and also concerned how full they will be! 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

This is exactly the reason I'm holding out for Wednesday for Sky / Regal Princess or Queen Elizabeth next week.

I shouldn't put too much hope on getting anything much cheaper if I were you. Generally, Princess aren't great with solo prices and QE is of course by far the smallest ship in the Carnival stable to be operating these cruises.

• Like 1

Didn't realise they packed so many people on a p and o ship. Just looked at brittania 143,000 tons just over 3600 passengers. QM2 150,000 tons 2689 people. Thats a 1000 more passengers on a smaller ship. No wonder so many people don't like the large p and o ships. Have only sailed aurora and oceana on p and o.

1 minute ago, delgirl said:

Didn't realise they packed so many people on a p and o ship. Just looked at brittania 143,000 tons just over 3600 passengers. QM2 150,000 tons 2689 people. Thats a 1000 more passengers on a smaller ship. No wonder so many people don't like the large p and o ships. Have only sailed aurora and oceana on p and o.

QM2 is rather an exception for mass cruising companies these days and also, she was built more as a transatlantic liner than a cruise ship. QE and QV passenger numbers are not dissimilar to Arcadia, which is built to the same template. Likewise, the Royal Class Princess ships take similar numbers to Britannia as they are on the same template.

I'm not a fan of the large ships myself. Best you don't look at Iona/Arvia then with their 5200 pax...😱😊

8 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Everyone has their favourite ships for their own reasons, but I’m in agreement with you that the new ships are too large.

I love the perfectly sized Aurora!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

QM2 is rather an exception for mass cruising companies these days and also, she was built more as a transatlantic liner than a cruise ship. QE and QV passenger numbers are not dissimilar to Arcadia, which is built to the same template. Likewise, the Royal Class Princess ships take similar numbers to Britannia as they are on the same template.

I'm not a fan of the large ships myself. Best you don't look at Iona/Arvia then with their 5200 pax...😱😊

Don't think I will. I remember our 1st cruise on adventure of the seas, 119,000 tons 3200 passengers. It was hell on sea days. Good job we had a balcony cabin as there was nowhere to sit. It put us off rcl and have never sailed with them since. Done mostly cunard QM2 and QV, P and O, celebrity and hal. Wasn't keen on hal.

5 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Everyone has their favourite ships for their own reasons, but I’m in agreement with you that the new ships are too large.

I love the perfectly sized Aurora!

That was our 2nd cruise, loved it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Don't think I will. I remember our 1st cruise on adventure of the seas, 119,000 tons 3200 passengers. It was hell on sea days. Good job we had a balcony cabin as there was nowhere to sit. It put us off rcl and have never sailed with them since. Done mostly cunard QM2 and QV, P and O, celebrity and hal. Wasn't keen on hal.

My first 'cruise' was a transatlantic crossing on QE2, which was fabulous.  The second one was aboard P&O's Victoria, 28,000 tons and 800 pax.  Loved it and wished she was still around as I'd still be cruising on her.

Smallest ship I have sailed on was MV Funchal under the now defunct Portuscale Cruises.  A shade over 10,000 tons and had about 350 pax on.  Lovely little ship but I would certainly understand why many would find that toooooo small 😁

Well I booked eventually. Early Saver Standard balcony for single occupancy Iona to Scotland. Went to the payment page, filled in all the details and then hit 'pay', at which point the red message said that category sold out - Aaargh!

Back a few pages and selected Deluxe balcony, followed the same procedure and it worked, including taking my money, I even have the confirmatory emails. Never been in a deluxe balcony. Actually never been in a balcony cabin.

The price - aargh again. with my FCC credit it cost the princely sum of £2014 or £287 per night. Deposit £302 and the balance by 22 July. Is shareholder benefit still available?

Am I daft? no, I really desperately need to have a holiday this summer and at the present rate I will have saved the fare by final payment date.

Now I need to arrange insurance and book a private car transfer to Southampton. There are local firms recommended by neighbours that do the Southampton run, should be less than 2 hours journey time.

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well I booked eventually. Early Saver Standard balcony for single occupancy Iona to Scotland. Went to the payment page, filled in all the details and then hit 'pay', at which point the red message said that category sold out - Aaargh!

Back a few pages and selected Deluxe balcony, followed the same procedure and it worked, including taking my money, I even have the confirmatory emails. Never been in a deluxe balcony. Actually never been in a balcony cabin.

The price - aargh again. with my FCC credit it cost the princely sum of £2014 or £287 per night. Deposit £302 and the balance by 22 July. Is shareholder benefit still available?

Am I daft? no, I really desperately need to have a holiday this summer and at the present rate I will have saved the fare by final payment date.

Now I need to arrange insurance and book a private car transfer to Southampton. There are local firms recommended by neighbours that do the Southampton run, should be less than 2 hours journey time.

Glad you are happy with what you have been able to book.  As for the price.......😱

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Glad you are happy with what you have been able to book.  As for the price.......😱

Glad it wasn't just me that did that!   😕

Delighted for everyone who got what they wanted on both ships.   Like everyone else, I'm desperate for a holiday and desperate to get back to my port guide roll here, but not enough to want to start selling kidneys.

• Like 4