Tauranga cruise ships visits next year

There's a lot to see in NZ. Kiwis can happily travel within NZ and not get bored with the sights. I lived there for nearly 40 years before I did my first overseas trip. I holidayed all over NZ instead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sigh. Any tourist operations in New Zealand might as well liquidate. By the time another 20 monthes passes, every Local will have seen everything they want to twice and there will be no business.

That being said I'm not big on speculation so while this is a "fluid" situation life carries on. We'll continue to plan and hope for the best.

Tough to say it Lyle, but be positive but ensure your cancellation/refund opportunities are encased in concrete.  There are many meat pies awaiting your judgement, lol.

20788834_th(2).jpg.dfa779a3d3bf5c2d3545d14560a447be.jpg

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sigh. Any tourist operations in New Zealand might as well liquidate. By the time another 20 monthes passes, every Local will have seen everything they want to twice and there will be no business.

That being said I'm not big on speculation so while this is a "fluid" situation life carries on. We'll continue to plan and hope for the best.

There’s 26 letters in the alphabet Lyle and you are only up to plan `C’ or `D’ wasn’t it.

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think we can write 21-22 season off.

How can you plan anything with random shutdowns.

The head of RCG said it’s the hardest year of his life.
Business school doesn’t teach how to run a multi Billion dollar business with out any revenue.

I can see a ship or two doing cruises just within Aus but the issue is that the different states don't seem to be able to agree.  I guess Australia is big enough to have cruises just within Queensland or just within NSW, however, do those individual states provide a big enough market to support a large cruise ship?

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s 26 letters in the alphabet Lyle and you are only up to plan `C’ or `D’ wasn’t it.

Well I'm to the point of no more plans. I hear of all the precautions in New Zealand and Australia and I respect that but while all this caution is grand, the lack of interest in getting the population vaccinated is alarming. New Zealand has approximately the same population as my province of BC and about 1/3 the area. Our rather hesitant roll out here with slow vaccine delivery and now the questions of Astra Zeneca's safety we trudge forward to getting everyone that wants the vaccine done first dose July 1st and second doses by October. So assuming New Zealand can get the Vaccines rolled out on a similar time line why on earth would they stay closed for another full year.

14 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I can see a ship or two doing cruises just within Aus but the issue is that the different states don't seem to be able to agree.  I guess Australia is big enough to have cruises just within Queensland or just within NSW, however, do those individual states provide a big enough market to support a large cruise ship?

It depends. I think quite a few people will be happy just to be on a ship and may not care if there are any port stops. The smaller ships, 2000 pax or less, would be OK for within state cruising, especially if they reduce the number of passengers. I'm not sure about the bigger ships though, it would depend on what their breakeven point is in terms of number of passengers. 

RCI have been successfully operating out of Singapore for some months now so it's about time our governments took a realistic look at what the cruise lines are proposing for bringing back cruising here. And, personally, I can't see why it can't be interstate, after all the land borders aren't closed permanently so people are travelling interstate by land and air.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I totally agree but I don’t think our government has the guts .

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm to the point of no more plans. I hear of all the precautions in New Zealand and Australia and I respect that but while all this caution is grand, the lack of interest in getting the population vaccinated is alarming. New Zealand has approximately the same population as my province of BC and about 1/3 the area. Our rather hesitant roll out here with slow vaccine delivery and now the questions of Astra Zeneca's safety we trudge forward to getting everyone that wants the vaccine done first dose July 1st and second doses by October. So assuming New Zealand can get the Vaccines rolled out on a similar time line why on earth would they stay closed for another full year.

Their forward planning seems to lack something.

We have a powder keg situation In Papua New Guinea which I can see a lot of our local vaccines being diverted to.
Then will be the other islands .

By the time we in Australia are vaccinated there’s going to be a different strain.

I was at my docs yesterday re my blood test results. It is the Batemans Bay Medical centre which is the Covid vaccine innoculation centre.  My doc told me they were only getting 80 doses of vaccine a week for a population of 30,000 in greater Batemans Bay, half of whom would be in the 1b current jab bracket, it is a retiree area. I dare not ask him when I would get jabbed.  My house backs onto an aged care facility, 150 inmates. A lady in my street works there, she told me that no inmates had been vaccinated and alarmingly no staff.  It is a complete shambles. We have 8 Aged Care Facilities in the Eurobodalla, high care, not including a few retirement villages.

Contrary to what some believe, there is no mandatory requirement for aged care staff to receive the jab, but obviously most would, when available of course.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

They are paranoid about opening their sea and air borders, Lyle. Australia is much the same. I think the boom gate is about to drop on Queensland, again.

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Nothing is for sure, Lyle.  The article I shared was very speculative.  The only for sure announcement the govt made was that we are very unlikely to relax our border conditions this year.  I hope you'll be calling me a naysayer and that your plans will come off just fine.  Or, alternatively, perhaps there will simply be an itinerary change.

I will say in my govt's defence though, that we sacrificed to get where we are and, from my perspective it's been worth it. I work with a man from the UK who says that he would happily go into another seven week lockdown to preserve the quality of life we have here compared to the experiences of his family back home.  As to vaccines, they are rolling out, which is great, but I think reopening the borders will probably involve a careful risk assessment on a country by country basis. Pure speculation on my part, but what would be the point of it all otherwise?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Nothing is for sure, Lyle.  The article I shared was very speculative.  The only for sure announcement the govt made was that we are very unlikely to relax our border conditions this year.  I hope you'll be calling me a naysayer and that your plans will come off just fine.  Or, alternatively, perhaps there will simply be an itinerary change.

I will say in my govt's defence though, that we sacrificed to get where we are and, from my perspective it's been worth it. I work with a man from the UK who says that he would happily go into another seven week lockdown to preserve the quality of life we have here compared to the experiences of his family back home.  As to vaccines, they are rolling out, which is great, but I think reopening the borders will probably involve a careful risk assessment on a country by country basis. Pure speculation on my part, but what would be the point of it all otherwise?

Well said.

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I was at my docs yesterday re my blood test results. It is the Batemans Bay Medical centre which is the Covid vaccine innoculation centre.  My doc told me they were only getting 80 doses of vaccine a week for a population of 30,000 in greater Batemans Bay, half of whom would be in the 1b current jab bracket, it is a retiree area. I dare not ask him when I would get jabbed. 

Well I rang and arranged our shots this morning. ONE THING TO BE AWARE OF is that you still have to get your flu shots but they must be at least 6 weeks away from your Covid shots. So to be covered for the Flu we get our Flu shots next Wed 7th April, our first Covid shot Wed 19th May, and our second Covid shot another six weeks on Wed 30th June.

So if you need Flu shots as well as Covid shots then my advice is GET YOUR FINGER OUT.

• Haha 1

I have just had my Astra Zenica shot.  All booked on line.   Done with a doctor present and jab done by a nurse.   I suspect the Doctor was looking at our health records on line.    It was all so efficient - can't believe it.  Husband asked doctor present when we can get our flu jab and he said 2 weeks.   Where did you see 6 weeks for a flu jab Russell21?   We will probably go back to our usual doctor for the flu jab.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rassa said:

I have just had my Astra Zenica shot.  All booked on line.   Done with a doctor present and jab done by a nurse.   I suspect the Doctor was looking at our health records on line.    It was all so efficient - can't believe it.  Husband asked doctor present when we can get our flu jab and he said 2 weeks.   Where did you see 6 weeks for a flu jab Russell21?   We will probably go back to our usual doctor for the flu jab.

Can’t a 🐈 get It ?

47 minutes ago, Rassa said:

All the info I have seen from both federal and state health departments say only two weeks is needed between having the flu and covid vaccinations.

From the NSW Health Dept website  FAQ - 

Can I get the regular flu vaccine around the same time as the COVID-19 vaccine?
Advice from ATAGI is that the preferred minimum interval between administration of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or the University of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccines and any influenza vaccine is 14 days. It is not recommended to provide an influenza vaccine on the same day as a COVID-19 vaccine.

This is from the Federal Govt health website about the covid vaccine - 

• The preferred minimum interval between a dose of seasonal influenza vaccine and a dose of
Comirnaty (Pfizer) or COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is 14 days.

Leigh

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So what do you think get rid of our cats or risk the virus.

I think I will risk the virus.

So we won't see you on a cruise ship - wwwwwwhen they arrive?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

Straight from the horses mouth, one of the surgery nurses who took our bookings. Bear in mind this is an 8 Doctor practice so  it's not just one doctors idea.

21 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So what do you think get rid of our cats or risk the virus.

I think I will risk the virus.

Speaking for the few remaining small native Australian animals, get rid of the cats.

12 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Straight from the horses mouth, one of the surgery nurses who took our bookings. Bear in mind this is an 8 Doctor practice so  it's not just one doctors idea.

I think we should all go with what we personally think is right, and I don't wish to imply you are right or wrong, but I am OK with such things as Possum52 quoting the NSW Health Department and the Federal Govt Health websites that say 2 weeks is OK for the flu shot, after the Astra Zenica vaccine.  We also listen to health professionals and doctors with vast experience in the field.   Good luck anyway.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Well I rang and arranged our shots this morning. ONE THING TO BE AWARE OF is that you still have to get your flu shots but they must be at least 6 weeks away from your Covid shots. So to be covered for the Flu we get our Flu shots next Wed 7th April, our first Covid shot Wed 19th May, and our second Covid shot another six weeks on Wed 30th June.

So if you need Flu shots as well as Covid shots then my advice is GET YOUR FINGER OUT.

We cannot book in for covid shots down here. We must await the call up.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Can’t a 🐈 get It ?

According to my vet grand daughter, yes domestic animals, dogs and cats can contract covid, but not as easily as humans. No covid vaccination has been introduced  for the said animals, yet, according to her.

Edited by NSWP