Cruises that are being offered are in high demand.

Smokeyham

Interesting to read about the 2023 Round The World Cruises that went on sale by Silverseas and Oceania sold out with within 24 hours and that three around-Britain cruises on sale by Viking for this summer sold out very quickly.

Of course a quick return to cruising is not for everyone but it is reassuring to see that the demand for cruising is still strong and it speaks well to the industry having a strong recovery.

19 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Interesting to read about the 2023 Round The World Cruises that went on sale by Silverseas and Oceania sold out with within 24 hours and that three around-Britain cruises on sale by Viking for this summer sold out very quickly.

Of course a quick return to cruising is not for everyone but it is reassuring to see that the demand for cruising is still strong and it speaks well to the industry having a strong recovery.

I don’t know about Silversea’s ATW but Oceania’s ATW “sold out” only refers to the cabins allotted for ATW reservations. Once that goal is reached, the remaining availability is opened up to multi-segment (i.e., “extended journeys” and “custom cruises”) plus single segment cruises.

One of our Oceania 2022 “extended journey” cruises (45+ days CapeTown to NYC- May/June) sold out multiple cabin classes within the first week it was announced (in February 2020).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I am guessing that people who are  desperate to cruise grabbed cabins as soon as they became available.  I would also guess that there will be a lot of cabin turnover when final payment time gets closer.

DON

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I am guessing that people who are  desperate to cruise grabbed cabins as soon as they became available.  I would also guess that there will be a lot of cabin turnover when final payment time gets closer.

DON

I think it really depends on the particular cruise line and the nature of the itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a lot of demand because people who enjoy travel have felt "trapped" in their hometowns for a year.

I know I recently started having weird travel related dreams due to a need to get out. Who takes a 48 hour flight to Russia on a hybrid Plan-Bus to get to the Olympics in a made-up city? Me in my dreams, apparently.

When P&O opened their bookings for June/July cruises, a week ago, there were so many applicants that the site crashed. 

There are now 9 cruise lines offering summer sailings around the British Isles this year; some insisting on full vaccinations, others not. Celebrity, Disney and Marella are the latest lines offering cruises. 

Disney interests us because they are sailing out of a port only 2 hours drive away, so no worrying about hotels, motorway services and public transport.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jocap said:

Disney interests us because they are sailing out of a port only 2 hours drive away,

My first two cruises were on Disney when my kids were young.  I really liked,  it but haven't returned as the price premium always seems like a lot to me compared with the alternatives.  Maybe I will go again someday as I did like the Disney onboard experience.

7 minutes ago, jocap said:

There are now 9 cruise lines offering summer sailings around the British Isles this year;

Why are the health authorities in the UK willing to do this?  So far the US CDC seems unwilling to move on this subject.

5 hours ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

There's a lot of demand because people who enjoy travel have felt "trapped" in their hometowns for a year.

I certainly feel the draw to book something new after being locked away.

12 hours ago, gerryuk said:

But how much of this demand is down to FCC?  

I'll bet it is significant.  My guess is 20% at least.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:13 PM, SelectSys said:

My first two cruises were on Disney when my kids were young.  I really liked,  it but haven't returned as the price premium always seems like a lot to me compared with the alternatives.  Maybe I will go again someday as I did like the Disney onboard experience.

Why are the health authorities in the UK willing to do this?  So far the US CDC seems unwilling to move on this subject.

There are no "round the US cruises" that I am aware of...  And foreign flagged ships, as well know, cannot carry passengers directly between US ports.  The CDC has "moved" with its current announcement of travel within the US for vaccinated people.  Taking things step-by-step is the safest and even the fastest way to insure safe cruising for all.

The apparent high sellout rate for these RTW cruises cannot be compared to normal cruising.  First, the "sell outs" are on small ships - 300 passengers or less.  Second, they are niche cruises offered at very high cost.  Third, they are a long way off and are still subject to local national protocols and restrictions.  Setting a schedule and collecting down payments does not mean the cruise will actually go to those places.  Hopefully by early 2022 things will normalize and cruising will resume.

Edited by Globehoppers

1 minute ago, Globehoppers said:

The CDC has "moved" with its current announcement of travel within the US for vaccinated people

I moved too and booked three cruises for next year after making this post! 

This week's announcements on travel have me feeling even more optimistic that my cruises will be come to be.  Of course things can always change again...  Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I moved too and booked three cruises for next year after making this post! 

This week's announcements on travel have me feeling even more optimistic that my cruises will be come to be.  Of course things can always change again...  Time will tell.

Agree.  We have three booked for next year including two trans-Atlantics, and some travel within Europe.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, SelectSys said:

If travel restrictions and holidays within the UK for UK citizens and residents is relaxed as hoped for in June the UK cruises can go ahead as I think the large majority are only calling at UK ports or no ports at all. No calling at foreign ports.

My cruise is a 7 nighter to the Scottish Islands starting and returning to Southampton, no port calls although anchoring is planned, no shore visits though.

Full vaccination is required which in the UK means anyone in their mid forties or less won't be vaccinated in time so no children or young families.

Insurance is also compulsory and there has been confusion about what policy cover is needed. Insurance companies are now starting to offer cover.

The cruises might not happen anyway, a lot of the crew come from the Philippines or India and they may be blocked from entering the UK.

• Like 1