CDC Open to USA cruise return this Summer

cruiserking

2 hours ago, mredandchis said:

DO what? I don't have a clue as to what MSM is saying but in early January I was preping for a cruise on the Vista and one of the sites I always look at is the WHO website.  They had a report that the hospitals in Wuhan had a super large number of pneumonia cases.  The WHO was advising them and then they reported that it was a new strain of Corona that seemed to focus around a fish market and they were doing a deep cleaning.  It wasn't until I returned from the cruise that there were reports of people returning from China having the new virus.  They didnt even have a name for it yet.  

I don't have a clue what your point is.

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The data isn't real time and never will be. Enough data needs to be collected to make any meaningful analysis. The trends go down and then up. Right now, 21 states have at least 10% INCREASE in cases. Good luck trying to project when another wave in approaching.

The vaccines are not fully approved and is irresponsible to try to project anything off of an experimental vaccine with any confidence. Right now, both Phizer and Moderna are saying a 3rd booster shot is needed and hopefully will be available by the end of the year. Children are still an unknown.

It would be reckless and irresponsible to try to give a timeline now. I realize typical corporations do it all the time and that is why schedules slip all the time. Governments do it all the time. The virus sets the schedule.

Hmmm.....projected rate of cruise return, allowing for all variants , variables, and data projections....2099.

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

OF course it can be done but is irresponsible because the confidence interval is so low and the target is constantly moving  Of course in hindsight you can project what will happen yesterday. Maybe next pandemic we will do better, but I doubt it based on the inability of Americans to follow simple instructions.

Looks like I wasn't the only one who endured Business Statistics in college.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

If they are gonna restart by Mid July they would have to require vaccines. 

That’s what I’m saying. Other cruise lines have said the will require vaccinations. Carnival has not. They need to announce that they are going to require vaccinations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruisingFromLA said:

Assumption: If 95% are required to be vaccinated, that pretty much means anyone 16+ will be required to have the vaccine, leaving 5% of the other passengers to be for kids under 16.

That 5% is a very small number. You’re talking 150 out of 3,000.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That 5% is a very small number. You’re talking 150 out of 3,000.

This does worry me. As I can see Carnival not allowing kids to reach that 95% threshold. My son is 15 and we are currently booked for the Mardi Gras on July 31st. I am hoping the FDA approves the Pfizer vaccine for kids 12-15 within the next few weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruisingFromLA said:

This does worry me. As I can see Carnival not allowing kids to reach that 95% threshold. My son is 15 and we are currently booked for the Mardi Gras on July 31st. I am hoping the FDA approves the Pfizer vaccine for kids 12-15 within the next few weeks.

Yeah it’s a small number. I want to say even on a fantasy class ship when school was in session we had over 300 kids. And with carnival wanting to be the family cruise line it scares me a little that maybe they’ll cancel a couple extra months to avoid requiring vaccinations.

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah it’s a small number. I want to say even on a fantasy class ship when school was in session we had over 300 kids. And with carnival wanting to be the family cruise line it scares me a little that maybe they’ll cancel a couple extra months to avoid requiring vaccinations.

If only a small number of kids will be allowed to sail, look at other cruise lines that families may not consider. Our last cruise pre pandemic in 2020 for the kids school break was on Holland America and there were around 20 kids in their age group (8 and 10 years old) registered at Club HAL on a ship that holds about 2,000 passengers. 

And yes, we loved it. Kids had an awesome time. They actually said it was more fun than sailing on Disney! 😱

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Do you really think they will turn down a revenue opportunity and delay further resumption to make sure they can welcome families?   I'm thinking money talks after being closed for 18 months.    This looks very much like the CDC is liking what Del Rio and NCL submitted and restricting to vaccinated 16+ guests temporarily til the fall if they want to bypass simulated sailings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Do you really think they will turn down a revenue opportunity and delay further resumption to make sure they can welcome families?   I'm thinking money talks after being closed for 18 months.    This looks very much like the CDC is liking what Del Rio and NCL submitted and restricting to vaccinated 16+ guests temporarily til the fall if they want to bypass simulated sailings. 

First, by mid summer you will likely have the Pfizer (maybe even Moderna) available for 12-15 year olds as the path for including kids is not insurmountable as long as you get vaccinated. Second, I agree completely as they're not going to turn away revenue as this should not be a surprise for the unvaccinated as I feel bad for them, but they made a choice not to vaccinate and the CDC made a choice to say you're not taking a cruise then for the first several months to year after return to sailing.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

95% of passengers need to be vaccinated to bypass the test cruises. Carnival needs to announce they will require vaccinations.

Yep. While I feel bad for the unvaccinated that were willing to take the tests and avoid group activities ahead of boarding, this is the least shocking information I've seen from the CDC in months as we all knew at least the first several months to a year of voyages were going to be restricted for unvaccinated. Carnival played this well by not really saying what they were doing for vaccinated vs unvaccinated aside from blanket statements,  hence they kept more folks money by not completely pissing off one side. Now they can say they are sorry but it is the CDC rules.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

I hope not. They’ve already delayed it by refusing to start cruising outside of the US.

The smart move would be to require passengers prove they are fully vaccinated in order to cruise this summer.  Other people should be offered a full refund or the ability to move their cruise with no penalty.  This seems to be the only way cruising can get rolling again.  Then, as time goes by, the requirements can be relaxed.

• "Ships can bypass the required simulated test voyages carrying volunteers and jump to sailings with paying passengers if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated."
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Rumor going around for a July restart? 

Please lord let it happen means my B2B on Mardi Gras in late August through September might actually happen. 

This doesnt chant any of the CSO except for mock cruising. More than 7 day cruises doesnt change.

36 minutes ago, sm3ds said:

What about the law passed in Florida yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Guessing the CDC trumps that. And I believe it only cleared their house thus far.  

The proposed "law" specifically allows Federal or State requirements to override it. EDIT: IIRC.  I might be mis-remembering)

And I strongly suspect (but I am not a lawyer) that the law, if passed, will get challenged and overturned very quickly.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

15 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The proposed "law" specifically allows Federal or State requirements to override it. EDIT: IIRC.  I might be mis-remembering)

Found the particular language, which obfuscates more than it clarifies (lines 1332 to 1334):

"This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from instituting screening protocols in accordance with state or federal law to protect public health."

So if the CDC says proof of vaccination is a way to provide screening to protect public health, then it is legal.