Airport Transfers - Yokohama

besberry

In whatever case, if your flights are from Narita (NRT), you do not want to take a taxi unless you have a printing press in your basement that spits out Benjamins on demand.  Taxis between the cruise terminal and Haneda (HND) are a different story.  Still not cheap, but it's only a 15 mile distance, as opposed to the 60+ miles from NRT.

If traveling from NRT and not on a cruiseline transfer, your best option is the airport bus service into Tokyo or Yokohama, with the train a bit more inconvenient due to transfers.

All of which argues for making your flight arrangements into HND, even if the pricing and timing may be a bit better into NRT.

Very good advice Flyer Talker.  Based on your name, I imagine you are on the Flyer Talk forum and know what you are talking about.  I just researched this same subject as we will be sailing from Tokyo and we want to spend a few days in the city prior to cruising.  Haneda is definitely the better airport for the reasons you specified.

Does anyone know if Celebrity will be moving their Japan cruises from Yokohama to the new cruise terminal in Tokyo?  The new terminal will be much more convenient for people who want to spend time in Tokyo before or after their cruise.

Celebrity certainly offers transfers at the end of the cruise, to both Haneda and Narita. Having flown into and out of both, I much prefer Haneda for easy access to Tokyo. 

44 minutes ago, kebrown said:

Does anyone know if Celebrity will be moving their Japan cruises from Yokohama to the new cruise terminal in Tokyo?  The new terminal will be much more convenient for people who want to spend time in Tokyo before or after their cruise.

No word on Celebrity moving to Tokyo. Yokohama has always been the "port" of Tokyo in terms of shipping, so there's a large infrastructure incentive to staying there. 

I'd point out that there are two terminals that are commonly used in Yokohama by Celebrity.

The Osanbashi Pier is in downtown Yokohama. You can walk to subways, restaurants, sights, etc. The other pier that Celebrity has been using more is Daikoku, which is across the bay on the ocean side of the bridge. It's more a quonset hut terminal that's reminiscent of what Royal/Celebrity used in Cape Liberty, NJ before constructing a more permanent building there. 

If you're docked in Daikoku, there's incredibly limited public transportation options and almost nothing walkable in the immediate area. It seemed mostly like parking lots and car storage from our experience there. 

Another note: don't forget the bus in Japan. When we sailed from Daikoku, we spent a few nights inTokyo proper, and then went to Tokyo Disney for a few nights. We ended up taking a bus from Tokyo Disney to the bus/train station in Yokohama, and then a cab from the bus station to the pier. Much much much cheaper than taking a cab or car service, and buses/coaches in Japan are fantastic: on time, efficient and a great value, and set up for people with luggage. Unless it's an airport-specific train, Japanese train have incredibly limited luggage storage available. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kebrown said:

According to the already published 2021-2022 or even 2022-2023 Asia itineraries, Solstice will still use Yokohama as her homeport. Celebrity hasn't followed some other cruise lines to move to Tokyo.

4 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I'd point out that there are two terminals that are commonly used in Yokohama by Celebrity.

The Osanbashi Pier is in downtown Yokohama. You can walk to subways, restaurants, sights, etc. The other pier that Celebrity has been using more is Daikoku, which is across the bay on the ocean side of the bridge. It's more a quonset hut terminal that's reminiscent of what Royal/Celebrity used in Cape Liberty, NJ before constructing a more permanent building there. 

For ships berthing at Osanbashi, they need to pass under the bridge. Millennium has no problem on this and she usually moored at Osanbashi for most cases. She only used Daikoku when there were multiple cruise ships in port together.

However we do not know if Solstice can pass under the bridge and dock at Osanbashi, since she hasn't visited Yokohama before. The largest ships that have ever sailed under the bridge are Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess. If Solstice is too tall, then she will always dock at Daikoku.

11 hours ago, besberry said:

Do Celebrity run airport transfers in Yokohama?  I mean without sightseeing.

Narita: USD 75.95 per person per way

Haneda: USD 50.95 per person per way

(based on a departure date in October 2022)

Haneda is nearer to Yokohama but Narita usually has more international flights.

image.png.205f954e80aa5a0a5273f71e64b527b9.png

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

Does Celebrity offer transfers from Yokohama to downtown Tokyo for those of us who will be staying a few days in Tokyo after our cruise?  If Celebrity does not offer downtown transfers, can someone recommend how we should get to Tokyo from Yokohama?  I have never been to Tokyo before so this will be something new for us to figure out.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Some hotels offer transfers. Maybe you can share a ride after connecting with people on the RollCall.

Japan is the land of trains. Traveling between Tokyo and Yokohama by train is easy and inexpensive.
You can take a cab to Yokohama station and then take the train to Tokyo.

21 hours ago, Miaminice said:

They usually do... but why would you fly the same day?!

I'm not flying in on the same day, I'm talking about flying home from Haneda.

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

In whatever case, if your flights are from Narita (NRT), you do not want to take a taxi unless you have a printing press in your basement that spits out Benjamins on demand.  Taxis between the cruise terminal and Haneda (HND) are a different story.  Still not cheap, but it's only a 15 mile distance, as opposed to the 60+ miles from NRT.

If traveling from NRT and not on a cruiseline transfer, your best option is the airport bus service into Tokyo or Yokohama, with the train a bit more inconvenient due to transfers.

All of which argues for making your flight arrangements into HND, even if the pricing and timing may be a bit better into NRT.

I intend to use Haneda and spend a day or so beforehand.  I've been to Tokyo before, so want to see Yokoham this time.  I was hoping they'd use Osanbashi, so I could walk from the hotel, but if they use Daikoku, then I'll have to rethink!