DeSantis files suit against Biden Admin and the CDC

DCGuy64

23 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I do NOT believe that for one hot second! I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories.

Agree, just as I got accustomed to all the conspiracy theories involving the government and big business, now they've turned their sights on our doctors and scientists.  What a sad wacky world we live in. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, mianmike said:

Agree, just as I got accustomed to all the conspiracy theories involving the government and big business, now they've turned their sights on our doctors and scientists.  What a sad wacky world we live in. 

Are you guys referring to this when you refer to big business and government conspiracy theories? Or something else? 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/amistad-project-time-to-fully-unmask-mark-zuckerbergs-350-million-funnelled-for-election-administration-and-the-motivation-behind-it-301161751.html

1 minute ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yes, perfect!  That's a great example of just how looney tune we have become as a society.  Everything is now explained by a conspiracy theory.  What is obviously bat guano crazy to one person is fact to another.  Internet:  Where anyone can google shop for the conspiracy theory that fits their narrative. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well this is good news!

”Port Canaveral First Port in U.S. to Support COVID-19 Vaccinations for Seafarers”

Port Canaveral, FL – April 30, 2021 – Port Canaveral is the first U.S. port to sponsor COVID-19 vaccine distribution to port workers and vessel crew members in response to a Florida Public Health Advisory approved by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and Surgeon General Scott A. Rivkees, MD issued on April 29 expanding vaccine eligibility to include individuals who are in the state for purpose of providing good or services for the benefit of residents and visitors of the State of Florida.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/first-port-covid-19

• Like 2

16 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I do NOT believe that for one hot second! I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories.

trying to tell some people that all the hoo hah surrounding any of this is futile.  They're going to believe there are some deep dark hideaways, with some dungeons and dragon types plotting to infect humanity to inject a tracking chip as the cure.  And, that mask wearing isn't a deterrent to the virus, but a deep dark conspiracy plot used by mask manufacturers to boost their income.

And, the boogey man is right around the corner.  

They're afraid to stay healthy, and that's just something I don't understand.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There've been some additional filings over the last week.

The Defendant is being allowed up to a 45-page response to the motion for preliminary injunction; the Plaintiff has been given 20 pages to respond to that by 5/19/2021.

Motion: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122953067_MotionExpandResponse.pdf
Order: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122956689_OrderExpandingResponse.pdf

A third party has filed an Amicus Curiae Brief in support of Florida.

Motion: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122953738_MarcYoungsMotionToFileAmicusCuriaeBrief.pdf
Brief: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122953739_AmicusCuriaeBriefMarcYoung.pdf
Exhibits: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122953740_AmicusCuriaeBriefMarcYoungExhibits

A correction in an exhibit was made in the motion for preliminary injunction by Florida.

Motion: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122957220_UnopposedMotionForLeaveToAmend.pdf

Updated exhibit: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122962349_DeclarationDanielFitzpatrick.pdf

Today a Federal Judge vacated the CDC nationwide moratorium on evictions as overstepping its legal authority. Copy of order: http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/1-20-cv-03377-DL_FederalJudgeVacatesCDCMoratorium.pdf

Updated docket information and several of those filings is at:

Florida v. HHS, CDC (2150.com)

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 1

More filings later yesterday and today...

Texas has joined the suit.

http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/26_047022965372_MotionToInterveneStateOfTexas.pdf

The government has filed their motion in opposition of the preliminary injunction.

http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/31_047022965703_MemorandumInOpposition.pdf

Full docket information including additional related filings are here:
Florida v. HHS, CDC (2150.com)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stallion said:

new CDC recommendations have been posted on RCCL board

I'm not as nearly active on Royal or Carnival boards.  I do know they have been wondering what the requirements would be to start sailing.  Not sure they have any sort of public plan, unless they're doing the same as NCL and using the origination/embarkation point in other ports outside of the U.S.

18 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Florida and Texas have filed suite to restart cruising, but both governors won't let them ask for vaccinations. Go figure. Talk about politicizing.

Those are two different things. Think about it this way: if a state decides to start issuing driver's licenses so people can drive cars, and then those licenses become de facto ID cards and are used to rent movies (remember those, back in the day), or to enter a federal building, get on a plane, etc., that's one thing. But imagine that before you can even enter a shop, grocery store, or pharmacy, they demand to see your ID. I'd consider that very intrusive. Why do you need to know who I am just to shop here?

I think governors like DeSantis, Abbott and others aren't objecting to people having proof of vaccination in case they need it, but they also don't want people being required to show it in order to go about their daily lives. That seems quite logical to me.

• Like 3

I can never tell when people believe their own fertilizer .

36 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

But imagine that before you can even enter a shop, grocery store, or pharmacy, they demand to see your ID. I'd consider that very intrusive.

This site is Cruise Critic and the topic is cruises . You can look all you want at the pretty ship .

A vaccination ID requirement means you just can't board it . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Florida and Texas have filed suite to restart cruising, but both governors won't let them ask for vaccinations. Go figure. Talk about politicizing.

Well, Florida hosts the the #1, #2 and #3 highest traveled USA cruise ports with 3.4M, 2.2M and 1.9M, passengers, respectively.

#4 is Galveston (TX) with 1.1M passengers.

That's almost 63% of all USA port passengers.

ports.JPG.5424e95363fd3a716592f8368db429a1.JPG

And there's a question?  Oh yeah, but not the one posed.  😲

2 minutes ago, richstowe said:

This site is Cruise Critic and the topic is cruises . You can look all you want at the pretty ship .

Correct. I'd put cruising in the camp of something out of the ordinary, for which ID and proof of vaccination are required, not everyday life like going to Publix. Quite a number of people seem to think there's no way cruise lines can require proof of vaccination in a state where the government has essentially banned it. My point is, "yes, they can," because we're talking about two different things.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Those are two different things. Think about it this way: if a state decides to start issuing driver's licenses so people can drive cars, and then those licenses become de facto ID cards and are used to rent movies (remember those, back in the day), or to enter a federal building, get on a plane, etc., that's one thing. But imagine that before you can even enter a shop, grocery store, or pharmacy, they demand to see your ID. I'd consider that very intrusive. Why do you need to know who I am just to shop here?

I think governors like DeSantis, Abbott and others aren't objecting to people having proof of vaccination in case they need it, but they also don't want people being required to show it in order to go about their daily lives. That seems quite logical to me.

5 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I believe that the original poster has been misinterpreted as it is clear that the Florida law is not solely specific to cruise ships.

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Correct. I'd put cruising in the camp of something out of the ordinary, for which ID and proof of vaccination are required, not everyday life like going to Publix. Quite a number of people seem to think there's no way cruise lines can require proof of vaccination in a state where the government has essentially banned it. My point is, "yes, they can," because we're talking about two different things.

But DeSantis has specifically stated that the cruise line's can't.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-silversea-cruises-to-require-vaccinations-20210412-7ok6fwabpndc5aop6oyla5tgvq-story.html

"DeSantis’ press office on Monday asserted that his recent executive order barring businesses from requiring proof of vaccinated customers extends to cruise lines operating in Florida."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Correct. I'd put cruising in the camp of something out of the ordinary, for which ID and proof of vaccination are required

Pardon me for not knowing that you make a distinction . DeSantis doesn't appear to and you appear to be supporting his cynical moves.

For the record, I neither support nor oppose the efforts by DeSantis and others. I was merely pointing out an important distinction, but whatever. If I'm not mistaken, the Florida Executive Order doesn't come into effect until July 1, and I think it could be rescinded at any time. Also, I still say that Federal law will provide legal cover for the cruise lines so they can still demand proof of vaccination, state executive orders notwithstanding.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

For the record, I neither support nor oppose the efforts by DeSantis and others. I was merely pointing out an important distinction, but whatever. If I'm not mistaken, the Florida Executive Order doesn't come into effect until July 1, and I think it could be rescinded at any time. Also, I still say that Federal law will provide legal cover for the cruise lines so they can still demand proof of vaccination, state executive orders notwithstanding.

Well, being trying to reasonable with un..............  

IMO, Florida playing chess backing the CDC into telling it to rescind the order to allow cruising; AFTER of course, the oral arguments and Judge's Order on the Injunction Motion (which, although I'd love to see it, I don't expect it to be so Ordered).

Then again, I'm retired.  😁

Without enforcement, there are no laws.  🙃

• Haha 1

To me, this is not the problem.  The biggest problem right now is that the CDC requires the same restrictions on a cruise whether everyone on board is vaccinated or not.  This just makes no sense.

I think that is why Florida continues to push the fight.

• Like 1