BUMMER: PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ

6 hours ago, boscobeans said:

My post is based on POST # 161 .

Please, if you know who to contact to free up the Cruise ports fill us in.

Is it the Mayors ??  Is it the Governors ??  Is it the local Departments of Health ??

WHO IS IN CHARGE ??

My post could be sent to them for an explanation. 

None of the people you mentioned are preventing cruising from the Port of NY & NJ. The port is NOT closed, it is OPEN.  When the CDC allows cruises and  the cruise lines send the ships, cruises will resume from the port. 

I suspect based on comments by Richard Fain that Royal can't start up all of their ships at the same time, but have no idea how long it will take to ramp back up logistically.   Getting enough vaccinated crew trained and onboard will not be easy.   We are hoping it will be in time for our October cruise on the Oasis, but who knows?

29 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

None of the people you mentioned are preventing cruising from the Port of NY & NJ. The port is NOT closed, it is OPEN.  When the CDC allows cruises and  the cruise lines send the ships, cruises will resume from the port. 

I suspect based on comments by Richard Fain that Royal can't start up all of their ships at the same time, but have no idea how long it will take to ramp back up logistically.   Getting enough vaccinated crew trained and onboard will not be easy.   We are hoping it will be in time for our October cruise on the Oasis, but who knows?

Anthem is another ship that has a home base in NJ.  The advantage of this one is that it already has crew.  But of course, it's a matter if they will bring it back to the US as scheduled. Really hope so...

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 2

In case anyone is interested in staying abreast of NY/NJ port news, I found three sites, all of which are sponsored by the Port Authority NY-NJ:

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/PortNYNJ

https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/alerts/coronavirus-updates.html

Blog:

https://www.portbreakingwaves.com/

It appears to me that Twitter is where they post the latest info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Anthem is another ship that has a home base in NJ.  The advantage of this one is that it already has crew.  But of course, it's a matter if they will bring it back to the US as scheduled. Really hope so...

I too really hope so, because I'm booked on the transatlantic.  🤞

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Unfortunately, it is not scheduled to come back until November. 

Per CDC guidelines, they can't sell cruises > 7 days with a port in the US prior to Nov 1.  Therefore, RCI isn't showing the 10 day transatlantic.  But it is strange that it's not on the NJ/NY port authority website.

2 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Unfortunately, it is not scheduled to come back until November. 

If PANYNJ closes the ports until Q2 2022, perhaps Anthem will never return. Royal can find a new home port for the ship. 

2 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

If PANYNJ closes the ports until Q2 2022, perhaps Anthem will never return. Royal can find a new home port for the ship. 

A ship list of ships sailing from Southampton has Anthem arriving on October 20th but not leaving.   She never arrives in NJ but is scheduled to depart for Port Canaveral on November 7th.  

Guess we will see if they do press release tomorrow, may 1st.

Now that cruises may restart july/august and port canaveral and galveston are starting to vaccinate crew for various cruiselines, I suspect they may hold off on  formal press release.  Or maybe say they are cancelled up to the aug/sept.

Imo, I Dont see rcl starting in nj right away.

25 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

A ship list of ships sailing from Southampton has Anthem arriving on October 20th but not leaving.   She never arrives in NJ but is scheduled to depart for Port Canaveral on November 7th.  

By Nov. 7th. The anthem would have been sailing for a while. The crew by then should be all vaccinated and would have no trouble sailing from Bayonne to  Florida and the Bahamas which are open to cruise ships.

32 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

The PA is  not closing the port until Q2 2022.  It is OPEN now. It's not their fault the cruise lines are not cruising in the US.  Why would they close?

7 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

By Nov. 7th. The anthem would have been sailing for a while. The crew by then should be all vaccinated and would have no trouble sailing from Bayonne to  Florida and the Bahamas which are open to cruise ships.

Yes.  We're scheduled to sail on her October 9th from Southampton for an 11 nt to the Canary Islands and then on October 20th on the TA for 10 nts to Bayonne.   Port schedules show her arrival in Southampton but no departure.   Schedules don't show her arrival in Bayonne but has her sailing November 7th from Bayonne.  She's nowhere for 18-19 days!

Now that the US is not going to allow Indian nationals into the US starting in a few days, I wonder how this will affect crewing some ships since there is a large number of Indians working onboard.  Just another monkey wrench thrown into the mix.....

24 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

Now that the US is not going to allow Indian nationals into the US starting in a few days, I wonder how this will affect crewing some ships since there is a large number of Indians working onboard.  Just another monkey wrench thrown into the mix.....

During a TV interview on Friday Michael Fain said that this will not be a problem and they can work around it.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

Yes, BUT, crew have a very different VISA for the USA.  They obatin a Crewmember Visa ( see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/crewmember-visa.html ).

This is very different from other types of visas (i.e. an I-9).

Where we can see the 'monkey wrench' you mention is in that crew members must have a C-1 transit visa to enter the USA to meet a ship.  Hence, we believe that what will occur is that crew members will join ships outside the USA and then transit into the USA while completing their guaranteeing on the ship.

Just our un-expert analysis......

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scotty G said:

During a TV interview on Friday Michael Fain said that this will not be a problem and they can work around it.

Did royal already announce a ban on crew from india early this week until india has the virus under better control?

Btw, not sure how this affects cruising out of NY but only the Brooklyn and NJ cruise terminals are owned/controlled by the port authority.   I believe P&O owns/controls the terminals in Manhattan.   There was an uproar a while back when they tried to sell it to a Chinese company.  Didn’t happen.

Dh says port authority likely still controls NY.   Not clear from port authority website. 

Edited by njkruzer
Add info

45 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Btw, not sure how this affects cruising out of NY but only the Brooklyn and NJ cruise terminals are owned/controlled by the port authority.   I believe P&O owns/controls the terminals in Manhattan.   There was an uproar a while back when they tried to sell it to a Chinese company.  Didn’t happen.

Dh says port authority likely still controls NY.   Not clear from port authority website. 

If it isn't the Port Authority, it's some other State/City Agency.

1:30 pm eastern time Saturday May 1st.  Looks like the whole thing was a load of crap.  Hopefully they can get this terminal opened up by mid July like the rest of New Jersey and New York plans on doing for there services.

ZERO need to avoid having ships sail at 95% vaccinated passengers.  Puts no risk to anybody working in the area especially if they to are also vaccinated.  Lets get this show on the road. 

Edited by ticketsunlimited
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

1:30 pm eastern time Saturday May 1st.  Looks like the whole thing was a load of crap.  Hopefully they can get this terminal opened up by mid July like the rest of New Jersey and New York plans on doing for there services.

ZERO need to avoid having ships sail at 95% vaccinated passengers.  Puts no risk to anybody working in the area especially if they to are also vaccinated.  Lets get this show on the road. 

Sarcasm Alert!

I don't know, I think I heard the PA likes to release press releases on policy issues late on Saturday nights because that's the only time executives are available to make decisions.

Sarcasm Alert over.

There was no way there was ever going to an announcement. Hopefully we will hear Royal's restart plans in a couple of weeks and then we will know when cruising out of the Port of NY & NJ is likely to restart.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

If it isn't the Port Authority, it's some other State/City Agency.

Governors can override port authority.   Not sure who controls passenger terminal in Manhattan. 

5 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Sarcasm Alert!

I don't know, I think I heard the PA likes to release press releases on policy issues late on Saturday nights because that's the only time executives are available to make decisions.

Sarcasm Alert over.

There was no way there was ever going to an announcement. Hopefully we will hear Royal's restart plans in a couple of weeks and then we will know when cruising out of the Port of NY & NJ is likely to restart.

I agree we all got duped on this one. We took the bait for sure. Original poster is in Istanbul by now. Nowhere’s to be heard from since posting.

4 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Governors can override port authority.   Not sure who controls passenger terminal in Manhattan. 

New York City OWNS the terminal.. It operates under the authority of the NY-NJ Joint PORT of AUTHORITY.