Random musing on future Covid protocols on our QM2 TA crossing in December

Devon Bloke

I am glad that we moved our World Cruise to 2023. I can’t imagine spending 100 days on a ship minus all of the above things that we enjoy doing. I really wonder if there will actually be a 2022 World Cruise this Jan.? I hope that things will be normal in 2023, I really don’t know.

Cunard will have a lot of experience to draw from by December.   Most of the cruise lines are starting up this summer.    We are booked on Seabourn in July from Greece for 14 days.    All passengers will be vaccinated and will be tested before boarding.   I know masks will be frequently required but we booked a nice cabin with a great balcony.   We will be sitting on the balcony if restrictions get too annoying.    There will be a port every day except for two sea days.

I agree. There is no such thing as social distancing and really the dining rooms are the most “dangerous” rooms on the ship in terms of spreading airbourne particles. We aren’t wearing masks and are sitting for hours in the same place talking to people.

There is no safe way for this to work unless everyone is vaccinated. The laundry room is pretty quick, although it is a small place. Wearing a mask in there would solve any problems. I have been in two situations with people who came down with Covid the next day where there was close contact for more than 20 minutes,  but we were masked (one was a jeweler who was putting on necklaces, etc, the other was a contractor working in the house). 

Hello!

Everything is purely speculative at this point.  No one knows what is going to happen in November and beyond and what restrictions if any will be in place.  NO ONE!   

I am booked on the January 3, 2022  62 day sailing from New York to Sydney. 

I am hoping the final payment due date will be pushed back to November.  

One thing is for sure:  If it is not clear what it will be like on the ship with respect to mask wearing and social distancing, and port excursion restrictions by time final payment is due I am going to cancel.

There is no way I am sailing if masks are required inside (Unless eating or drinking), port restrictions are in place and social distancing is in place.  I may as well vacation in a hospital or nursing home.  No thank you.

Deck Chair

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hello!

Everything is purely speculative at this point.  No one knows what is going to happen in November and beyond and what restrictions if any will be in place.  NO ONE!   

I am booked on the January 3, 2022  62 day sailing from New York to Sydney. 

I am hoping the final payment due date will be pushed back to November.  

One thing is for sure:  If it is not clear what it will be like on the ship with respect to mask wearing and social distancing, and port excursion restrictions by time final payment is due I am going to cancel.

There is no way I am sailing if masks are required inside (Unless eating or drinking), port restrictions are in place and social distancing is in place.  I may as well vacation in a hospital or nursing home.  No thank you.

Deck Chair

Yesterday I received a telephone call from a Cunard rep who asked if I was interested in the upcoming voyages.  We had a pleasant but brief conversation where I mentioned these points, especially having to dine alone.  As a solo I pay double and it would be no fun.   I left it stand where I would welcome promotional mailings and emails but won't book until the covid restrictions can be lifted. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I am booked on the QM2's westbound crossing that is scheduled to depart from Southampton on April 24, 2022. This crossing technically is the final segment of the world cruise, but I think this crossing could take place even if the world cruise is canceled or the itinerary is altered.

I am fully vaccinated (both Pfizer vaccinations). At this point, it is impossible to know what the onboard experience will be like one year from now. I am doing this crossing solo and greatly enjoy afternoon tea in the Queens Room and dining with other people at dinner. I am hoping that these aspects of the onboard experience will be available by next April. If not, I may cancel the crossing before final payment is due.

Chuck

On 4/21/2021 at 7:58 PM, Jacqueline said:

There is no safe way for this to work unless everyone is vaccinated. 

Several people who have posted on this thread have referred to the assumption that passengers will need to have been vaccinated.  Unfortunately, in the US at least, there is no way to confirm that.  People who have been vaccinated receive a small cardboard card; people who have not been vaccinated can buy the same card on EBay for $20 or so.  Although many states maintain an electronic database of state residents who have been vaccinated, there is no comparable national database.

Perhaps someone with a medical background on this forum can tell us if there is a quick and simple antibody test which could confirm that vaccination actually took place.  Given the number of people who have been caught jumping the queue for vaccine by lying about their status, I certainly wouldn't trust an arriving passenger's assertion that they have been vaccinated.

12 hours ago, rsquare said:

Perhaps someone with a medical background on this forum can tell us if there is a quick and simple antibody test which could confirm that vaccination actually took place

I don't have a medical background but I will say this in reply. I am not having a needle stuck in my arm or finger to board a cruise ship. Not a chance in hell. And what happens to the blood they draw? What are they gonna test it for? Drugs? Not that I do them but still. Does your DNA profile get added to the UK DNA Database or your American CODIS or COTIS  is it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rsquare said:

Several people who have posted on this thread have referred to the assumption that passengers will need to have been vaccinated.  Unfortunately, in the US at least, there is no way to confirm that.  People who have been vaccinated receive a small cardboard card; people who have not been vaccinated can buy the same card on EBay for $20 or so.  Although many states maintain an electronic database of state residents who have been vaccinated, there is no comparable national database.

Perhaps someone with a medical background on this forum can tell us if there is a quick and simple antibody test which could confirm that vaccination actually took place.  Given the number of people who have been caught jumping the queue for vaccine by lying about their status, I certainly wouldn't trust an arriving passenger's assertion that they have been vaccinated.

Antibodies are the immune system's short term response.

If you are immune, but your immunity has not been recently [weeks to months] challenged, then you will have few or no antibodies in the serum.  You will have reactive T and 'memory' B cells primed to respond to a future infection.

It was noted [need to fetch NIH link] that SARS-COV-1 survivors demonstrated reactive immunity to SARS-COV-2 [COVID-19] infections after 18 years - so that is quite promising.

virus_consulting.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Antibodies are the immune system's short term response.

If you are immune, but your immunity has not been recently [weeks to months] challenged, then you will have few or no antibodies in the serum.  You will have reactive T and 'memory' B cells primed to respond to a future infection.

It was noted [need to fetch NIH link] that SARS-COV-1 survivors demonstrated reactive immunity to SARS-COV-2 [COVID-19] infections after 18 years - so that is quite promising

They might somehow be able to do a quick test for antibodies. But I doubt there will be any kind of a quick test for the reactive t and memory b cells that they can do at a cruise ship terminal. They will need a fully staffed lab for that I imagine.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:12 PM, ace2542 said:

You are on the same trip on as me I think at least part of it.  And yeah we don't much wanna do the mask and stuff my father definitely doesn't. Plus with us being in NYC for a few days we may have pay for tests at the cost of hundreds of dollars. Will you have to pay for any tests onboard. Have they said?

Cunard website says COVID testing onboard would not be chargeable

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, Devon Bloke said:

Have just seen the latest Cunard announcement at https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories, and that "Queen Mary 2’s current programme of departures up to and including 12 November 2021 are cancelled."

I'm obviously hoping that things will be OK for the Southampton to New York crossing, departing 15 December.

A general thought has just occurred to me - I’ll be really interested to see how the future social distancing issue is going to be dealt with in relation to the relatively narrow corridors/hallways in the cabin areas.

And another issue that strikes me… is that of the laundry rooms. Always a centre for good chats and ship gossip…occasionally a place for heated arguments over “washing machine emptying etiquette”. I wonder how use of the laundry rooms is going to be managed.

Whatever; I note that Cunard states on it’s website at https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.sailing-with-confidence.faq624.summary in answer to the question “How will you ensure everyone follows the protocols on board?”, that they state “ Any guest failing to comply with these new procedures will be asked to disembark the ship, with the costs for their journey home at their own expense.”

Does that mean that such guests will be asked to leave the QM2 mid-Atlantic? Maybe to disembark onto a tender that is being towed behind the ship for such eventualities?🤣🤪

we are considering booking this same sailing and curious what happens if we book, pay and then Cunard cancels? 

6 hours ago, Tplusthree said:

we are considering booking this same sailing and curious what happens if we book, pay and then Cunard cancels? 

You get a FULL REFUND if THEY cancel as they have cancelled it.

TL/DR - I’m not worried and am ready to GO.

Honestly I’m not bothered at all. It won’t bother me if they social distance us in the theater or if I must wear a mask walking to and from dinner. It is easy enough to limit the number of people on the dance floor, at least in the Queen’s Room. Mister and I have been ballroom dancing, masked, with others on the floor (but limited) since last September. Same with the theater. We went to a professional baseball game at 30% capacity. Everyone masked and social distanced. The food service was limited to a few areas so ushers could limit the amount of people in the relatively small concession areas.  

Organizations are learning what works and will figure out minimum interventions eventually. I think buffets will fundamentally change with no self serve food or utensils out in the open. It will be interesting to see what happens.

On our last crossing, protocols were already in place for passengers to wash and sanitize before entering food service areas. I’m sure they will increase that, but it isn’t a bother to me.

I think cruise lines should only allow fully vaccinated people on board except for children. Until the vaxes are approved for young children it isn’t fair to exclude them.

I’m looking forward to my next cruise (not Cunard - it’s a 3 day jaunt from Florida to the Bahamas to celebrate a relative’s wedding). Never been on a mega-Las Vegas-style party boat but it will be interesting to see how everything is handled. It isn’t for another year, so the industry will have plenty of time to figure things out.

16 hours ago, ace2542 said:

You get a FULL REFUND if THEY cancel as they have cancelled it.

I did book today for the 12/15 TA and was told if they cancel we can opt for refund or 125% toward future sailing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tplusthree said:

I did book today for the 12/15 TA and was told if they cancel we can opt for refund or 125% toward future sailing.

How do you think Cunard will respond to the recent CDC 95% vaccinated mask less announcement?