Woohoo Australia/New Zealand Travel Bubble

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

The virus type has been released. "Both genomes match the UK variant, B.1.1.7." Source, The Guardian

Now for the country the traveller departed from to be released.😉

We now know the country.

"The traveller is from Ethiopia and transmitted through the United Arab Emirates". Source ABC

7 minutes ago, mr walker said:

So the traveler was a returning Kiwi?

Presumably but I don't think they specifically mentioned that in any of the articles I read. They don't usually give details about people who test postive in quarantine.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Could have been someone who has been working in Ethiopia as an aid-worker.

Perhaps. I dont see the need for secrecy, why not alert the population re the nationality of these people?

Edited by NSWP

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Perhaps. I dont see the need for secrecy, why not alert the population re the nationality of these people?

Why assume they are anything but NZ citizens or residents? And if they are residents their nationality is irrelevant.

• Like 4

So I got an email from Celebrity this week celebrating the "travel bubble" and pushing Cruises for this year.

Personally I can't see this happening, but maybe Celebrity still think it all go ahead (unless of course its a grab for needed cash ?)

3 minutes ago, downundermatt said:

So I got an email from Celebrity this week celebrating the "travel bubble" and pushing Cruises for this year.

Personally I can't see this happening, but maybe Celebrity still think it all go ahead (unless of course its a grab for needed cash ?)

Yes, we got that too.  I suspect they are just looking for cashflow.

21 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

When you get the go ahead from the Government, it will be time to book!

Don’t leave it too long.  Cruisers can’t wait to get back to sea. I recon all cruise bookings will surge as soon as the Governments give the “all clear”.

I also think that most of the cruises will be filled with older passengers are we are the ones who have been vaccinated and I still think that proof of vaccination will be a requirement.

Frankly, a ship full of unvaccinated pax would be a no-go for me. 

I love my cruising but I also love life !!

7 minutes ago, heddyjan said:

Don’t leave it too long.  Cruisers can’t wait to get back to sea. I recon all cruise bookings will surge as soon as the Governments give the “all clear”.

I also think that most of the cruises will be filled with older passengers are we are the ones who have been vaccinated and I still think that proof of vaccination will be a requirement.

Frankly, a ship full of unvaccinated pax would be a no-go for me. 

I love my cruising but I also love life !!

I just received an offer from an overseas TA for six overseas cruises from different cruise lines.  All said vaccination was compulsory.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I just received an offer from an overseas TA for six overseas cruises from different cruise lines.  All said vaccination was compulsory.  

Was Princess on the vaccination compulsory list? I want to come back new!th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

Edited by NSWP

On 4/21/2021 at 10:50 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

It might not be fogging that is the problem but rather something to do with the focal lengths in the lower section of the bifocals. They aren't as flexible as multifocals.

Thank you- that's exactly the problem - I can wear my glasses down my nose - no fogging but I can judge distance so trip over my feet. Or I can wear glasses where they are supposed to be and can't see because of fogging. 

Totally not wearing a mask except on a plane 

On 4/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

This NZ case is going to be a good test of how effective the Pfizer vaccine is at reducing or stopping the spread if a vaccinated person still gets infected. 

So far 21 out of 36 close contacts are negative.   I'm sure we'lll see more of this because of the testing - otherwise no one would know because  Idon't think the case had any symptons 

1 minute ago, lissie said:

Thank you- that's exactly the problem - I can wear my glasses down my nose - no fogging but I can judge distance so trip over my feet. Or I can wear glasses where they are supposed to be and can't see because of fogging. 

Most people who wear glasses have the fogging problem when wearing a mask, but it is quite easy to find a solution to it. I would ratherwear a mask to protect myself, my family and others around me when required to or I can't social distance. 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Try the tissue trick then.

I rarely have fogging problems but I always pinch the mask really hard over my nose then smooth the wire bit down across my cheeks.

Regarding masks and glasses, my whole family wears both. I wear progressive lenses, and my dad wears bifocals. I've made hundreds of these masks in a variety of sizes, many for folks who wear glasses. They were designed by an engineer who wears glasses and was unhappy with other masks. The measurements are in inches, but it would be easy enough to convert. Measure from the bridge of the nose to below the chin, where you can feel the back of the jaw bone and from the bridge of the nose to in front of the ear. I hadn't sewn in 27 years, but I was able to get the hang of it pretty quickly. I include an inner layer of polypropylene (the stuff surgical masks are made of). I machine wash and air dry.

The Jesse Mask

Besides nearly eliminating fogging, the things I really like about this mask design are the way it sticks out a bit away from the mouth and how fits under the chin. It does not pull down when the wearer talks, so there's no need to keep pulling it up. 

But realistically who wears masks for hours and hours - and hour or 2 on a plane is one thing - but I can't even imagine doing  it everyt ime I  left my cabin!   That's not living - its hell. Its never been a requirement in NZ (or in Oz I think?) I certainly won't be paying good money for the "privledge" of doing so.  

I really do think my  next cruise season everyone who has had a vaccination will be travelling normally and life will be returning!  

I'm currently travelling in NZ and it was genuinly exciting to go to a good Chinese restaraunt last nigh (not a kiwi Chinese one) - see it doing a reasonable trade - and then talk to some actual Australian visitors who'd flown in for the long weekend!  Almost like normal 

19 minutes ago, lissie said:

But realistically who wears masks for hours and hours - and hour or 2 on a plane is one thing - but I can't even imagine doing  it everyt ime I  left my cabin!   That's not living - its hell. Its never been a requirement in NZ (or in Oz I think?) I certainly won't be paying good money for the "privledge" of doing so.  

I really do think my  next cruise season everyone who has had a vaccination will be travelling normally and life will be returning!  

I'm currently travelling in NZ and it was genuinly exciting to go to a good Chinese restaraunt last nigh (not a kiwi Chinese one) - see it doing a reasonable trade - and then talk to some actual Australian visitors who'd flown in for the long weekend!  Almost like normal 

What clever Aussies flying to NZ for long weekend.  

I agree with your comments re wearing masks.  Whilst I'm happy to wear a mask on flights to get somewhere, I'm not prepared to wear a mask for entertainment, such as live theatre, for long periods.  

At present I'm limiting my theatre bookings to short shows.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

What about medical staff? Up until recently, in Victoria, everyone working in a situation where they had face to face contact had to wear a mask for their entire working day. I noticed at my local supermarket yesterday that some staff were still wearing masks. Visitors to hospitals, aged care and medical clinics have to wear masks. Last year for a couple of months we had to wear masks even when outside, just going for a walk for example. 

Leigh

• Like 3