Public Health Emergency Renewed effective 4/21/21

31 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

I am so tired of the senseless arguing. There is no convincing the people who have decided to follow the line of thinking that this is all a hyped up hoax (good job on that one, world governments!). It is especially sad on a day when my community is mourning the death of a beloved middle school teacher and coach who lost his long battle with Covid. If people would just stop being so selfish and care about others, maybe he would still be alive.

And there is conversely no way of convincing you otherwise...what goes around comes around. I lost my brother to it, so I can speak from personal experience, he was only 66 and in great physical health, rode mountain bikes and fished.  He masked and almost quarantined 24/7. Kept to himself and was in his boat a lot. He was just about to get his shot from the VA when he died from pulmonary embolism from covid.  It only took 4 days. I would say all of the posters here "care deeply" about those who've had a hellacious year, we've all suffered this year, no one was excluded...but some people just want the truth to be reported concisely and accurately... other millions of people are among them.  Just because they complain about the ineptitude displayed by  officials etc. doesn't mean they are jerks nor that they do NOT care about people.  I am sick too...of the judgmental attitudes.  S--t happens, this pandemic was one of them...period.  But I agree with you...Please, lets get over it, lick it and move on.  I know one thing for sure, I cannot live like this much longer. Nor would I want to.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

follow the line of thinking that this is all a hyped up hoax (good job on that one, world governments!)

I Think the Media has played into the hands of hysteria as this sells their news!  I also don't think  it's a matter of a Hoax, but more of giving a perceived notion that unless everyone totally isolates and we are under lockdown (  from gov't) , we'll keep fighting this.   Science can be our friend, but can also be our worst nightmare!   Also need to get people off the Media that state "Impeding Doom".

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JABTPS said:

I Think the Media has played into the hands of hysteria as this sells their news!  I also don't think  it's a matter of a Hoax, but more of giving a perceived notion that unless everyone totally isolates and we are under lockdown (  from gov't) , we'll keep fighting this.   Science can be our friend, but can also be our worst nightmare!   Also need to get people off the Media that state "Impeding Doom".

But I did not say that, I was quoting ErinsMom

We all view life based on our personal experience.  My rural county has been very fortunate, relatively few cases and a small number of deaths.  Our neighbor was laid off from her job at the hospital last spring due to very few patients.  She did not get recalled until near Christmas, but is laid off again now.  The hospital has shut down wards and has lots of empty beds.  You can walk into the local pharmacy and get vaccinated.

I have had both shots.  I wear a mask in places that request them.  I feel that is only polite.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

a vacation option viewed by most as the lamest travel option ever.

If you really think that, why in the world would you come here and post on a cruise blog?  You've been a poster on here forever, I don't get it!  Nobody I know of who posts here regularly thinks cruising is the lamest travel option.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

And there is conversely no way of convincing you otherwise...what goes around comes around. I lost my brother to it, so I can speak from personal experience, he was only 66 and in great physical health, rode mountain bikes and fished.  He masked and almost quarantined 24/7. Kept to himself and was in his boat a lot. He was just about to get his shot from the VA when he died from pulmonary embolism from covid.  It only took 4 days. I would say all of the posters here "care deeply" about those who've had a hellacious year, we've all suffered this year, no one was excluded...but some people just want the truth to be reported concisely and accurately... other millions of people are among them.  Just because they complain about the ineptitude displayed by  officials etc. doesn't mean they are jerks nor that they do NOT care about people.  I am sick too...of the judgmental attitudes.  S--t happens, this pandemic was one of them...period.  But I agree with you...Please, lets get over it, lick it and move on.  I know one thing for sure, I cannot live like this much longer. Nor would I want to.

I’m very sorry for your loss, I lost a friend, a healthy 53 year old, right at the beginning. I don’t think anyone who wasn’t in a hot spot should insist the information from the media was an exaggeration, or say that despite what my friends and family members in the middle of it made it sound worse than it was. I have a cousin who is a nurse in south Jersey, the situation was significantly better there, being further away from NYC.

3 hours ago, mek said:

Occasionally I go to an on line travel booking site and I get so tempted by a few cruises I see - one especially for Dec 2022, but there is simply no way I'm booking anything until cruises start back up from US ports.

Since Covid hit, I have booked 2 cruises..........One was for September 2020, Europe, only booked it because it was for a unbelievable price on an Owners Suite. Which we all pretty much knew when I booked it wasn't going to sail, but back when I booked it they had already started the lift and shift with it price protected.

Well as expected it was canceled and I L&S to September 2021...........which now looks like that will be L& S again to September2022.

2nd cruise I booked was for a 5 day cruise out of Tampa for October 2022, which was for a balcony, that was also a really low price, under $700 total for my wife and I, booked that with a refundable deposit knowing it gives us a backup cruise from the a US Ports if we still don't feel comfortable on going to Europe in 2022.

Other then that we are not booking anything more until sailings start again from a  US Port..

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

... I saw a CDC stat saying that 78% of people who were seriously ill or died from Covid were overweight or obese. Why isn't the CDC warning people about being overweight? Who knows?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Given about 40-50% of the population that is overweight or obese, that putts a sizeable chunk in the high risk group. The alphabet soup of government health agencies have been concerned about obesity for a long time.

39 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m very sorry for your loss, I lost a friend, a healthy 53 year old, right at the beginning. I don’t think anyone who wasn’t in a hot spot should insist the information from the media was an exaggeration, or say that despite what my friends and family members in the middle of it made it sound worse than it was. I have a cousin who is a nurse in south Jersey, the situation was significantly better there, being further away from NYC.

I don't believe it was anyone's intention to trivialize what your family and friends went through, I assure you, what my family went through was horrific as well.  He can't help it if he was in a safer place than you, nor can I.  My brother was in Florida, but I don't hold that against the state and I am in favor of everything that De Santis did.  And so was my brother, before COVID too him from us.  Pray you are able to grieve and recover just as we are.  This is very emotional for everyone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

If you really think that, why in the world would you come here and post on a cruise blog?  You've been a poster on here forever, I don't get it!  Nobody I know of who posts here regularly thinks cruising is the lamest travel option.

I don’t think that, although I didn’t take my first cruise until I was almost 40 because it just never crossed my mind. I’ve lived here my entire life and had no idea I was within 20 miles of 2 cruise ports. Most people I know have never cruised and have no desire to cruise, and nothing I say can change their minds. I’m just surprised at how passionate some people are about cruising starting back up again. I’m passionate about certain things I want to re-start ASAP, having my high school and college kids back in the classroom would be my highest priority, one of many vacation options is not one of them. I’m sure there are folks in Ireland who would love to be able to leave their neighborhoods, never mind cruise. 

3 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Given about 40-50% of the population that is overweight or obese, that putts a sizeable chunk in the high risk group. The alphabet soup of government health agencies have been concerned about obesity for a long time.

I suppose it's possible I missed it, but I do not remember Dr Fauci, Dr Birx, or Dr Adams addressing the obesity issue at all last year in connection with the higher risk of Covid during their many press briefings. It came as a surprise to me when I read about this. To the best of my knowledge, that information was not widely disseminated. It certainly, to me at least, puts a dent in the notion that everyone is equally at risk, which I would argue is presumed by the universal application of lockdown measures. Anyway, I don't know where you got the 40-50% figure but it's troubling to say the least.

6 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

As well we should be, I am diabetic, but my brother if anything, was underweight, thin and healthy.  Covid doesn't discriminate.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think that, although I didn’t take my first cruise until I was almost 40 because it just never crossed my mind. I’ve lived here my entire life and had no idea I was within 20 miles of 2 cruise ports. Most people I know have never cruised and have no desire to cruise, and nothing I say can change their minds. I’m just surprised at how passionate some people are about cruising starting back up again. I’m passionate about certain things I want to re-start ASAP, having my high school and college kids back in the classroom would be my highest priority, one of many vacation options is not one of them. I’m sure there are folks in Ireland who would love to be able to leave their neighborhoods, never mind cruise. 

It's all relative.....to each individual......

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I suppose it's possible I missed it, but I do not remember Dr Fauci, Dr Birx, or Dr Adams addressing the obesity issue at all last year in connection with the higher risk of Covid 

Boy did you ever miss it.  They spoke of co-morbidity and underlying conditions all the time.  But they just didn't seem to connect the dots about that being more profound than the virus.  Even though there are many who were perfectly fit who died also.

14 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Since the CDC changed the Bahamas to the highest risk level with no travel it’s not looking good....

We booked through air2sea as I never really thought we would sail

they changed about 80% of the world to Level 4

however they are only suggesting not to travel and you are still free to do so

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes. I am guessing he was joking to make a point.

Not joking. 

Yes, they will give me future flight credit if I cancel but I cannot get my money back.

This is on Delta. I selected refundable fares but none were available.

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I love your aluminum hat. https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-new-york-hospitals-as-they-battled-coronavirus-in-april-2020-5 I copied this article, just because I have family who are employed at a Brooklyn hospital in the ED, they still don’t like to talk about it. Staff were required to work even when positive with covid, they couldn’t get enough backups (and those that were flown in from other areas made a ton of $). My gynecologist told me she was asked to work at a temporary medical facility (she closed down for a few months back then), she was like they must be desperate, I’m 60 years old and medical school was a long time ago.

Let's all just agree that NYC is a rathole and not a good example. LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Yes, we all have different priorities.  My kids and grandkids are all grown so we have become very passionate about cruising.  Yes, we like to do other things but cruising remains our passion.  Last cruise was Sept. 2019 so we have extreme CWS so I intend to do everything possible to cruise, if that includes writing letters, doing anything requested of us, I'm going to do it, just like I have done all year, but that doesn't mean I like it or agree with it.  I am compliant, but I bark a lot about being pushed around, if someone on here doesn't understand that, I'm sorry.  But that's how I feel.  Hope for your family's sake this ends once and for all.

7 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Boy did you ever miss it.  They spoke of co-morbidity and underlying conditions all the time.  But they just didn't seem to connect the dots about that being more profound than the virus.  Even though there are many who were perfectly fit who died also.

Oh I did hear them speak of co-morbidity, I just never heard them say obesity. They spoke of things like respiratory issues, autoimmune disorders, heart problems, etc but I didn't hear them say "78% of people with Covid issues are overweight, so you'd better get yourself on a diet if you want to survive."

That's what I'm talking about (and yes, people who are overweight or obese might have those co-morbidities, but weight loss can go a long way to improving health outcomes. Ask me how I know.)

2 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I am so tired of the senseless arguing. There is no convincing the people who have decided to follow the line of thinking that this is all a hyped up hoax (good job on that one, world governments!). It is especially sad on a day when my community is mourning the death of a beloved middle school teacher and coach who lost his long battle with Covid. If people would just stop being so selfish and care about others, maybe he would still be alive.

I don't believe it is a hoax at all.

However, I believe we are overreacting at the current time.

We still haven't got all of our freedoms back after the post 9/11 stupidity and now we are having more taken from us with no end in sight.

And let's ALL be honest for a minute:

99.99% of people don't care about anyone but themselves and their loved ones. (I see how you all drive LOL)

People are generally selfish jerks. it is simple as that.

So this whole "do it for everyone else" is a total crock of BS 😉

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I suppose it's possible I missed it, but I do not remember Dr Fauci, Dr Birx, or Dr Adams addressing the obesity issue at all last year in connection with the higher risk of Covid during their many press briefings. It came as a surprise to me when I read about this. To the best of my knowledge, that information was not widely disseminated. It certainly, to me at least, puts a dent in the notion that everyone is equally at risk, which I would argue is presumed by the universal application of lockdown measures. Anyway, I don't know where you got the 40-50% figure but it's troubling to say the least.

Here is the fill list of risk factors.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

In a 2017/2018 NCHS had obesity at 42%, but given the rate of increase, 45% in 2020/2021 could be the low end of the estimate. And that's just obesity, if you add in those that are overweight, the % of the population is much higher. I don't think it was getting as much news with it's correclation with covid-19 due to how much of the population is part of the category. When you look at the break down of obesity it gets even worse for the states that are against mask mandates.
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

This is from the "law of unintended consequences" department.

When you want people to get vaccinated, you remind them of why it's in their best interest to get one.

When people have been locked down at home, not allowed to travel, not allowed to visit grandparents/grandchildren, attend weddings and funerals, cancel parades, proms and graduations, and keep many businesses closed, and then you say "wait until there's a vaccine, and we can go back to normal," people are assuming that the vaccine will enable that to happen.

But when the vaccines are underway and you start saying "well, things won't necessarily go back to normal, you'll still have to wear a mask, social distance, etc.," then guess what? Those on the fence about vaccines might not get them.

It beggars belief sometimes, the very people saying vaccines are great are unintentionally discouraging some people from getting them. You can't make this stuff up.

• Like 5