CDC to cruise industry: U.S. cruises could restart in mid-July

55 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Sorry, you are correct.  I was thinking of an entirely different CLIA, which promulgates federal regulations in laboratory testing.  

Yeah, I got that when I first started reading the NSO and the CDC's requirement for "CLIA" approved testing facilities.  Had to ask my friend Google on that one.

• Like 1

Is anyone familiar with the requirements that Japan has in place to allow cruise ships to currently cruise? Today Reuters was reporting, (April 30) the  Asuka II was enroute from the Port of  Yokohama to Aomori and Hoikkaido prefectures when a passenger tested positive for the coronavirus. All passengers had previously tested negative. The passenger was in isolation, and plans were to end the cruise to disembark all passengers back in Yokohama. The Asuka II has a capacity of 960 passengers and 545 crew members. It was reported that 295 passengers and 425 crew members were aboard.

Also the Port of Galveston is making arrangements for a number of crew from two Carnival cruises to receive the vaccine. Vaccine supply was to come from the local area due to a decline in demand. 

15 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Also the Port of Galveston is making arrangements for a number of crew from two Carnival cruises to receive the vaccine. Vaccine supply was to come from the local area due to a decline in demand. 

And that is a much better use of vaccines than letting them expire!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Is anyone familiar with the requirements that Japan has in place to allow cruise ships to currently cruise?

Here are discussions of the requirements from Nov, when cruising restarted in Japan.  Most seem similar to the CSO requirements, including the need for "test cruises".  They appear also to be restricted to domestic only cruises, which require Japanese flag vessels.  It's not surprising that these have not received much attention here, since they are limited (I believe) to Japanese citizens, and are nearly as "draconian" as the US CDC's:  single cabin tables at meals, no inter-cabin mingling in bars.  And, apparently a "threshold limit" of one case of covid for a return to port.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/japan-cruise-ships-return-to-sea-amid-covid-coronavirus-pandemic/

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Travel-Leisure/Japan-s-cruise-ships-set-sail-amid-sea-of-COVID-worries2

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Here are discussions of the requirements from Nov, when cruising restarted in Japan.  Most seem similar to the CSO requirements, including the need for "test cruises".  They appear also to be restricted to domestic only cruises, which require Japanese flag vessels.  It's not surprising that these have not received much attention here, since they are limited (I believe) to Japanese citizens, and are nearly as "draconian" as the US CDC's:  single cabin tables at meals, no inter-cabin mingling in bars.  And, apparently a "threshold limit" of one case of covid for a return to port.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/japan-cruise-ships-return-to-sea-amid-covid-coronavirus-pandemic/

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Travel-Leisure/Japan-s-cruise-ships-set-sail-amid-sea-of-COVID-worries2

Sounds like a great experience 😳🙄🙄🙄

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

A one threshold limit for Covid sounds very draconian. 

And not being able to basically meet and interact with other passengers is a true turnoff.

Is there anything new about the length of cruises?  Are we going to be able to sail >7 nights or sail on B2Bs?

My next cruise is 12 nights in December on NA.  I'm thinking of adding the 7 nights prior to make it 19 nights total.

Or booking another line that would get me back in Miami a day before NA sails from Port Everglades.  That would give me the time to get a PCR test in between, if they're going to be needed prior to boarding.

7 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Is there anything new about the length of cruises?  Are we going to be able to sail >7 nights or sail on B2Bs?

My next cruise is 12 nights in December on NA.  I'm thinking of adding the 7 nights prior to make it 19 nights total.

Or booking another line that would get me back in Miami a day before NA sails from Port Everglades.  That would give me the time to get a PCR test in between, if they're going to be needed prior to boarding.

Under the current text of the CSO itineraries of more than 7 nights are not permitted.  The CSO expires on November 1st.  Your December sailing would be outside the expiration date of the order, so the limitation would not apply.

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The CSO expires on November 1st.  Your December sailing would be outside the expiration date of the order, so the limitation would not apply.

Unless of course the CSO is extended beyond 11/1/2021 and that 7 night stipulation isn't revised or removed from the extended order. Hopefully, there won't be any extensions, or better yet, the current order gets lifted prior to 11/1/2021.

14 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Under the current text of the CSO itineraries of more than 7 nights are not permitted.  The CSO expires on November 1st.  Your December sailing would be outside the expiration date of the order, so the limitation would not apply.

Ours is in December so am holding breath and hoping that November date doesn’t get extended.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Unless of course the CSO is extended beyond 11/1/2021 and that 7 night stipulation isn't revised or removed from the extended order. Hopefully, there won't be any extensions, or better yet, the current order gets lifted prior to 11/1/2021.

Of course.  But you left out an important part of my post: "Under the current text of the CSO".    

Edited by harkinmr