CDC to cruise industry: U.S. cruises could restart in mid-July

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

a quote from the given article, so children could sail but 5% seems skinny.  I would think the 5% is for folks with medical exemptions but that is just a wild guess.  

• Ships can bypass the required simulated test voyages carrying volunteers and jump to sailings with paying passengers if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated.

So basically they could do successful test voyages and then be on their way without requiring vaccination, right?  

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

So basically they could do successful test voyages and then be on their way without requiring vaccination, right?  

No Wrong  --no test cruises as long as   98 % of all passengers are vaccinated & that 95% of all crew are vaccinated is the way it reads 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While this does allow for bypassing some of the requirements of the CSO, if the pax and crew are vaccinated, it still requires that the cruise lines obtain the port agreements and provider contracts, which have been a stumbling block for the cruise lines to date.

7 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

In theory maybe, but I suspect those port agreements will be a lot harder to get without the vaccinations.

Roy

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

In theory maybe, but I suspect those port agreements will be a lot harder to get without the vaccinations.

Roy

Thanks for explaining, Roy.   I figured there is something that would make them disinclined to do that, but it is probably buried in another thread that I didn't dig into too much.  

Edit to add I now see what you quoted from chengkp75 on this thread, too.

Thank you for pulling it together.

Edited by AncientWanderer

19 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I assume the idea is to allow people with legitimate medical exemptions.  We are all only seeing a journalistic interpretation from an interview given by a single CDC employee.  I will withhold judgment until a CDC document is issued

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

26 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

No Wrong  --no test cruises as long as   98 % of all passengers are vaccinated & that 95% of all crew are vaccinated is the way it reads 

No, you are wrong.  What this does is give an option.  If the cruise line wants to certify that crew and pax will be vaccinated, they can do away with the simulated cruise.  However, if the cruise line does not want to go the vaccinated route, they can still execute simulated cruises and then resume operations without requiring vaccines.

However, as rafinmd says, the port agreements for the lines going without requiring vaccinations will likely be more difficult and more costly.

• Like 2

Hi Cliff.

Yes, I've taken many from SD but not to Hawaii.  Aloha!

Understand that a California Real ID Driver's License is not proof of citizenship. Many guests are likely to make this mistake in the coming years.

You must have a passport, Birth Certificate issued by one of the US states, or some other proof of your nationality.

Hawaiian Island cruises leave US waters, sail through international waters, and ultimately stop in Mexico before returning.  

Only 5 states offer "Enhanced Drivers Licenses" and they are Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.  It will be printed on those cards, and a microchip will be embedded in them.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jimgev said:

Anyone who thinks that the pronouncements from the CCL hierarchy are not political in nature is missing something. Their chairman of the board is a major financial contributor.

Arnold Donald supported the past administration so I'm not so sure I agree that this is politically motivated, and definitely not for the reason you're attributing it to.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Understand that a California Real ID Driver's License is not proof of citizenship. Many guests are likely to make this mistake in the coming years.

Not sure how this relates to this thread but since you mentioned it, DHS announced yesterday that the Real ID program was extended to May of 2023 ...

DHS Announces Extension of REAL ID Full Enforcement Deadline | Homeland Security

I wouldn’t consider any cruise unless 100% of the crew & passengers were vaccinated. 
Otherwise, if any of the 5% unvaccinated ended up with COVID-19, 100% of the ship would likely be barred from any further ports. Cruise to nowhere- no thanks!

Makes about as much sense as promoting 95% reliable condoms 😲!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sunriseatsea said:

I wouldn’t consider any cruise unless 100% of the crew & passengers were vaccinated. 
Otherwise, if any of the 5% unvaccinated ended up with COVID-19, 100% of the ship

Well, I guess you won't be cruising for some time as the vaccines are at best 92% effective!  That follows your same thought process  😷.  Any number of passengers and crew may not have an effective vaccine and could infect someone else on board!   Please think about common sense.  What has happened to that over this past year?

• Like 4

"Real ID's" are proof of residency, not proof of citizenship.

California has been pushing the idea that you must have a Real ID to travel.

It just isn't the case, which is going to lead to many problems with cruises from SF, LA, LB, and SD.

David

2 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Personally, I suspect that a little push-back by Florida and Alaska may be inspiring the CDC to revisit the "science" of the prolonged cruise shutdown.

As well as Texas!  😀  Unless something has changed from what I heard last night Christine Duffy will be making an Announcement on Tuesday with Port Officials.   Breeze and Vista expected to arrive in Galveston on Sunday.   Yesterday, Christine was on Sunshine in Miami.  

John Heald announced today that Check-in will be now 30 Days prior to the Cruise Date.  Before this announcement those with Cruises booked were told 10 Days prior for Check-in.  

These Cruise Lines have been working very hard behind the Scenes to get the Ships sailing again and this is very positive news!   Hopefully, an Official Announcement will be made on Protocols.

So, yes, this is not HAL but if Carnival can get up and Sailing, it will be very good news for not only HAL but all the Cruise Lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

Hi Cliff.

Yes, I've taken many from SD but not to Hawaii.  Aloha!

You must have a passport, Birth Certificate issued by one of the US states, or some other proof of your nationality.

Hawaiian Island cruises leave US waters, sail through international waters, and ultimately stop in Mexico before returning.  

Only 5 states offer "Enhanced Drivers Licenses" and they are Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.  It will be printed on those cards, and a microchip will be embedded in them.

David

Most states have real IDs now.  we have had them for years in Texas.  Very few states don't but they are not proof of citizenship but are proof of residency

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/real-id-compliant-states

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Is there a hurry to get children on board?

Let's stick to the plan. Vax the adults. The kids are next, once the studies have been completed. They should be able to join us on the ships in 2022. Not so far off?

No kids on Hal, please..

If a line decided to sail under the 95% vaccination “rule”, how would they realistically control capacity on the 5% ceiling of unvaccinated? 

- special “sign up via Special Needs department?

- specific “ tickets”?
- reserve it for kids?

- reserve for those with medical conditions that prevent vaccination ( but not sailing) with review?

It just sounds like a nightmare to control, and possibly a way for CDC to put it back on the cruise lines to require or not require vaccination. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

If a line decided to sail under the 95% vaccination “rule”, how would they realistically control capacity on the 5% ceiling of unvaccinated? 

Easy. They must have >95% vax pax. But, they don't need to reserve 5% for un-vax passengers. Actually, the cruise companies should prefer to have sailings with as many vax pax as possible. 

All they have to do is to accept priority reservations from vax people and medical exempt bookings. After they reach the 95% target, they could then accept no-vax bookings. Does not mean that there would be many vacancies at this point!

Since the ships will initially sail at reduced capacity, the companies should have no difficulty selling the cruises.

BTW, RCL is ready to roll!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/royal-caribbean-ceo-fain-praises-cdcs-new-path-to-resume-us-cruises.html

Edited by HappyInVan

53 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

- special “sign up via Special Needs department?

- specific “ tickets”?
- reserve it for kids?

- reserve for those with medical conditions that prevent vaccination ( but not sailing) with review?

It just sounds like a nightmare to control, and possibly a way for CDC to put it back on the cruise lines to require or not require vaccination. 

I would assume the 98% is in consideration of key personnel who have legitimate medical exemptions.  As far as passengers, as a business owner, I wouldn't touch that 5% with a 20 foot pole.  I would just go the distance and say 100%,  nobody here wants that job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Most states have real IDs now.  we have had them for years in Texas.  Very few states don't but they are not proof of citizenship but are proof of residency

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/real-id-compliant-states

While most states have the Real ID available, the number of folks that actually have a DL which is Real ID compliant is only in the 43% range. There is still a lot of non-compliant ids out there and its going to take a few years for all those non-complaint ones to come up for renewal. 

Just now, drowelf said:

While most states have the Real ID available, the number of folks that actually have a DL which is Real ID compliant is only in the 43% range. There is still a lot of non-compliant ids out there and its going to take a few years for all those non-complaint ones to come up for renewal. 

That is possibly true.  we turned over so long ago I don't think anyone has an old ID here.  It is very simple to go online now and order a new license even if you are not at renewal.  The photos are kept digitally.

4 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Woot! Woot!  What about Alaska from Seattle? Anybody got news on that front?

Alaska sailings will still be an issue (from Seattle or elsewhere) notwithstanding the news today.  Canada is still restricting cruise ship access until 2022 and the PVSA does not allow deviation from a port stop in a foreign country.

5 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

They could but since they would produce no revenue, why would they go that route if the CDC has given them a way not to need to?

• Like 1