Cruising Without a Vaccination

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

A centralized medical record may exist where you live and using your medical providers, but that is not a universal construct here in the USA.

This is a great point. I got my vaccinations at my local CVS in NYC. As part of the process, we were entered into both the CVS system, and had to self report into the NYS system via smartphone while waiting for both doses. It’s very American that we would undertake one of the most successful mass vaccination efforts in history, only to rely on CDC cards and each state to figure out their own system for tracking. 

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

It continues to confound me that people don't trust the timing on the approval for these vaccines.  I've had folks tell me that even 5 or 10 or 20 years is not a long enough time to fully determine the side effects. 🙄  Yet these same folks likely take, or have taken, numerous medications approved by the FDA with a multi-page disclosure sheet on 'possible' side effects, up to and including death, without batting an eye.  SMH.

It’s advertising. Unless you travel outside of the US, you’re not likely to realize that very few nations allow advertising of prescription drugs directly to the public. 

Vaccines haven’t had benefit of a coordinated ad campaign like most prescription drugs receive, unless you’re in pockets across the US. Again, speaking from the view of a NYC resident, we’ve had regular and constant social, online, TV and radio ads about social distancing, testing, and now vaccination options… but I know this is the exception to the rule. 

• Like 2

Quick story....some of the people (actually several people) who I've met on cruises years ago have brow beat me about the side effects of the COVID vaccine I may not be aware of given I've received both Prizer doses.  Wonderful people, but they don't follow their medical provider's advice, but will adhere to something they read off Facebook, or one of those crazy sites that purport to offer news.

I told them I was cruising NCL Joy this summer.  Most (not all) said they wouldn't because of the COVID Vaccine requirement (I say they give in sooner than later and get vaccinated for no other reason than they love NCL and love to cruise).

I had to remind them, that they were the same people who were loading up on drug, that have either been banned or require a prescription in the U.S, which are offered in Mexican pharmacies in the resorts.    Those pharmacies look dicey to begin with.  I recall telling a couple of co-cruisers years ago, when we were in a Cozumel pharmacy that they had no idea if what they were buying was really authentic?

Their response (paraphrasing)?  "We'll just use our credit card and dispute the charges when we get home."  OK.....that's smart.  Give your credit card number to a "pharmacy" right off the beach which looks dicey to begin with.  If what you bought isn't authentic, all your credit card company and tell them you have a charge for banned drugs you bought in Mexico.

Think the world of these people, but I have to shake my head.

Go figure!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Got it. You see no problem or concerns with injecting 7 billion plus with vaccines with which, I repeat, side effects are as of yet unknown. And you have no problem with dissenting views being censored. I believe in informed consent not coercion.

We do know what the side effects are.  They have been very carefully studied in the trials, and anything other than injection site pain and flu-like symptoms have been caught very early on and addressed.  What possible side effects are you talking about?  You, and others, it seems are in search of detrimental side effects without any substantiation.  How long do we wait before it is OK to take the vaccine?  There is no coercion.  Take the vaccine or not.  Your choice.  But don't try to incite fear and try to restrict others from doing what they think is best for their health by taking it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Quick story....some of the people (actually several people) who I've met on cruises years ago have brow beat me about the side effects of the COVID vaccine I may not be aware of given I've received both Prizer doses.  Wonderful people, but they don't follow their medical provider's advice, but will adhere to something they read off Facebook, or one of those crazy sites that purport to offer news.

I told them I was cruising NCL Joy this summer.  Most (not all) said they wouldn't because of the COVID Vaccine requirement (I say they give in sooner than later and get vaccinated for no other reason than they love NCL and love to cruise).

I had to remind them, that they were the same people who were loading up on drug, that have either been banned or require a prescription in the U.S, which are offered in Mexican pharmacies in the resorts.    Those pharmacies look dicey to begin with.  I recall telling a couple of co-cruisers years ago, when we were in a Cozumel pharmacy that they had no idea if what they were buying was really authentic?

Their response (paraphrasing)?  "We'll just use our credit card and dispute the charges when we get home."  OK.....that's smart.  Give your credit card number to a "pharmacy" right off the beach which looks dicey to begin with.  If what you bought isn't authentic, all your credit card company and tell them you have a charge for banned drugs you bought in Mexico.

Think the world of these people, but I have to shake my head.

Go figure!!!!!!!!!!

That made me laugh OUT LOUD, thank you!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, winterbliss said:

Got it. You see no problem or concerns with injecting 7 billion plus with vaccines with which, I repeat, side effects are as of yet unknown. And you have no problem with dissenting views being censored. I believe in informed consent not coercion.

Repeating something over and over does not make it true. The side effects of all vaccines were widely studied and tracked as part of the development and emergency use authorization process globally. They continue to be monitored and studied.

That's how we know that approximately 1 in 1 million women under the age of 55 who receive a J&J or AstraZeneca vaccine have a heparin- induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia type blood clot, along with changes in platelet counts that make traditional treatments for blood clots ineffective. Statistically, you have a much higher chance of being killed by covid than being killed by a side effect from any of the COVID vaccines. 

Dissenting views are actually welcome in the scientific community... it's how we make advances in science. It's important to note that these dissenting views have to be based in science... not urban legends or conspiracy theory. So far, nearly all dissenting views on COVID or vaccinations are based on selling you something or garnering clicks and views. While I'm sure that many unscrupulous hucksters are happy make a quick buck off of people with vaccine hesitancy, I'd much rather throw my hat in with the people who want me and my neighbors to live. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

It continues to confound me that people don't trust the timing on the approval for these vaccines.  I've had folks tell me that even 5 or 10 or 20 years is not a long enough time to fully determine the side effects. 🙄  Yet these same folks likely take, or have taken, numerous medications approved by the FDA with a multi-page disclosure sheet on 'possible' side effects, up to and including death, without batting an eye.  SMH.

So very true. Even OTC medication as nebulous as Tylenol has some serious side effects listed.

• Like 2

You take a population of one million, even without vaccinations, I'm guessing you will have a blood clot or two anyhow....or heart attack...or stroke.....  So I really don't know how much the vaccination actually was the cause, if at all beyond normal health expectations.  .  Anyone have statistics?   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Repeating something over and over does not make it true. The side effects of all vaccines were widely studied and tracked as part of the development and emergency use authorization process globally. They continue to be monitored and studied.

That's how we know that approximately 1 in 1 million women under the age of 55 who receive a J&J or AstraZeneca vaccine have a heparin- induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia type blood clot, along with changes in platelet counts that make traditional treatments for blood clots ineffective. Statistically, you have a much higher chance of being killed by covid than being killed by a side effect from any of the COVID vaccines. 

Dissenting views are actually welcome in the scientific community... it's how we make advances in science. It's important to note that these dissenting views have to be based in science... not urban legends or conspiracy theory. So far, nearly all dissenting views on COVID or vaccinations are based on selling you something or garnering clicks and views. While I'm sure that many unscrupulous hucksters are happy make a quick buck off of people with vaccine hesitancy, I'd much rather throw my hat in with the people who want me and my neighbors to live. 

Well said.  Thank you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, harkinmr said:

We do know what the side effects are.  They have been very carefully studied in the trials, and anything other than injection site pain and flu-like symptoms have been caught very early on and addressed.  What possible side effects are you talking about?  You, and others, it seems are in search of detrimental side effects without any substantiation.  How long do we wait before it is OK to take the vaccine?  There is no coercion.  Take the vaccine or not.  Your choice.  But don't try to incite fear and try to restrict others from doing what they think is best for their health by taking it.

The best of health to you now and in the future.

2 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Best of health to you.

17 hours ago, complawyer said:

while i dont want to inquire as to your actual health reasons (since of course they are none of my business)with 3 different types of vaccines, can you really not take any of them? 

i dont think ncl will allow you on board without proof of a vaccinations.  

even if you have a negative covid test, it would have to be close to your departure date.

in any event, good luck, i sincerely hope you are able to cruise as soonas possible

My niece had Gullian Barre syndrome and was strongly advised not to take the vaccine yet since it was not studied how it will affect someone. ( this is that syndrome that they ask about when you get a flu shot which she cannot get also)

So there is one instance where getting the vaccine helps people like her and others to be able to come out into the world again 

• Like 2

I feel for your neice.  But research continues... I know for a fact.

Long story short, I had to do Alot of investigating to find out IF I could take Any of the vaccines?

Due to my allergies & I cannot take Flu shots either.... was told.... probably

the best vax for my situation would be Pfizer. 

So I went on a mission to get pfizer only.

Making appts and having to cancel a couple places due to giving a different vaccine.

Finally, after having both Pfizer shots, I can tell you I had NO reactions whatsoever.

Other friends and family are doing fine also.  A few didn't feel well for a day or so.

But for me?  Was amazed to have No problem,  and can't wait to cruise again with my Vax Card.

Hallelujah

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Stallion said:

For the record, the CDC advisory Panel  recommends that patients with Gullian Barre syndrome take the vaccine

Good to know and I will let her know. She was also pregnant when the vaccine came out (high risk) so may have played a factor. I will find out if she knows about this but I also know she is scared. 

T

7 hours ago, ericfromri said:

that's what i said

The CDC won't be opening patient vac records for a private company. They can't even share the information with other federal agencies. But there is an agreement between states and the CDC to share name, address information to track local immunizations

This will all boil down to a self certification process

Edited by Buford T Justiice

Within an hour of my second shot I got a text from the state to log in to see my vaccination certification.  I entered my birthdate, and up popped  a vaccine certification from the state department of health that states that I am certified as of 4/27 that I was considered fully vaccinated from covid-19 per the advisory committee on immunizations practices recommendations.  So I would think all states will have a similar system eventually and it will be more than just the paper cards.

• Like 2

View this from another point - the fan tail of the ship - - -

You are sailing on a ship with guests that have been vaccinated and some that are not -

An illness breaks out - plain simple cold nausea mal de mer you know the usual stuff -

nothing to be concerned about -

OR JUST MAYBE IT IS THE DREADED COVID 19 VIRUS THING -

and the ships medical staff runs tests -

A +POSITIVE+ result 

therein this stuff hits the fan on the tail of the ship.

Who brought this on board ?

And worse this develops into a case similar to the Princess line Diamond Princess -

A full blown investigation - nobody on or off the ship till it is resolved.

The cruise lines could develop a plan to not take reservations without vaccination

verification - and subsequently reservations made falsely - not refund fares - penalty

Side note:

With everyone on board having been vaccinated - PERHAPS - the wearing of masks

maybe waived with herd immunity having been achieved !

ON a humors note:

The vaccination isn't in the the BUTT - But maybe you should ARM yourself for it !

2 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

T

The CDC won't be opening patient vac records for a private company. They can't even share the information with other federal agencies. But there is an agreement between states and the CDC to share name, address information to track local immunizations

"Self"? What good will that do? People will lie to get certification.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Not likely. The cruise lines are going to have to certify to the CDC that each cruise is 95% passenger and 98% crew vaccinated.  They will verify status and passengers will authorize them to do so. 

• Like 3

I sure hope my vaccine card is enough.  That is all I have.  I got my shots at Walmart.  I am currently uninsured (next month I will have coverage, thank goodness).  There was no insurance company or doctor to receive confirmation.  As far as I know, there is no state wide system in Florida to keep track of vaccines.  If my card doesn't work, it will make life very difficult for me.  

13 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

probably

the best vax for my situation would be Pfizer. 

There is absolutely no similarity between how the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are manufactured and the annual flu vaccines. That's probably why you were ok.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Will the 95% rule be based on booking or boarding. For example, a ship has capacity for 200 unvaccinated passengers and a line allows booking for that (children , cough cough). Then let’s say ship doesn’t fully book to capacity and ship will be 1000 vaccinated passengers short. What then? 

Please leave comments about if children and unvaccinated passengers should cruise aside. Just trying to understand how the CDC allowance would work in practice. 

This is why the CDC should have mandated 100% vaccination for crew and passengers. The logistics they suggest is damn near impossible to figure out when applying to real life.

They should KISS  (keep it simple stupid).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rebeccac said:

I sure hope my vaccine card is enough.  That is all I have.  I got my shots at Walmart.  I am currently uninsured (next month I will have coverage, thank goodness).  There was no insurance company or doctor to receive confirmation.  As far as I know, there is no state wide system in Florida to keep track of vaccines.  If my card doesn't work, it will make life very difficult for me.  

I was vaccinated at a GMR site in central Florida. I have saved the bar code and registration confirmation emails they sent me for my vaccinations. I'm hoping if I show those emails and my CDC card that will be enough for my proof of vaccination. If not, we are all screwed if there is no state wide data base that proves our vaccinations.

I wish DeSantis was not so head strong against having some sort of proof of vaccination. This is a political move and it does not help the residents of Florida at all. I understand his wanting to ban the ability of private businesses of requiring proof of vaccination in order for them to provide service. I get that. But.....we need proof to be able to travel internationally. We need proof to be able to cruise. When is DeSantis going to address THOSE issues for Florida residents?

• Like 3