Crew Vaccinations starting in FL

Crzn-Life

I’m very happy to hear this. The economic benefit of resuming cruising for port communities and the U.S. generally justifies any cost or allocation concerns. Let’s get everybody vaccinated and get back to normal! 💉🚢😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

And, this could not have been predicted?  Even at normal freezer temperatures or in their storage boxes, the vaccine lasts 30 days.  That's not enough time to predict usage?

Once vaccines become so readily available the 'allure' or lack of FOMO takes over. We have mass vaccination sites closing down due to lack of ppl, 2nd shots being turned down, and building stockpiles. Appointments not needed -- just walk in anywhere -- states canceling shipments because they have enough in storage. I'm not saying everyone has been vaccinated (only 39.8% fully + 19.6% partially = 59.4% to some degree in my home state) but this drop off in demand was expected. 

• Like 2

It's easy for posters to find a hundred or so reasons  for the USA to NOT to vaccinate the "foreign" crew at this time when they are in port to re-supply, etc - that is their "humanitarian agenda" - do these people even want to cruise now themselves, I ask you - or is the agenda, I don't feel comfortable at this time with cruising, so why should anyone else be able to cruise if they do ?

I want to cruise, this is MY agenda ...  I want the crew to be vaccinated for both the safety of them and their fellow crew members ... they have/will have a tremendous exposure on a rotating basis to new passengers every 7 days or so.  At least for now, the CDC has spoken - no crew vaccinated, no cruising until the cruise lines meet all the stringent guidelines in the 'return to cruising' see you Nov 1, MAYBE

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

There are lots of people in the world dying because they don't have access to a vaccine.

Vaccinating crew, so that people can take leisure vacations ... that should be just slightly

behind saving the lives of many.

When crew members are getting the vaccine, you are possibly saving their lives.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

True, however, are they in a top priority group?  
I am thinking they should wait, like we Canadians have to,  second dose comes 16 weeks after the first dose. 

lack  of vaccines here in Ontario, Canada. 
poor planning and management in both our countries.  Get the vaccines to the citizens who have paid for them. 

by the way, Celebrity cruises has said they are paying for vaccines for crew. Fair. 

Edited by dog
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

With only 30% of the US vaccinated, I find it difficult to understand how/why we are voluntarily bringing foreigners here to be vaccinated for a non-essential industry.

Although the USA is nowhere close to achieving herd immunity through vaccination, the demand for vaccinations has dropped off significantly.

The vaccines are available in many states now to anyone eligible who wants them, but too many people (including health professionals) are refusing to get the jabs.

Any ship crews (any kind of ship, not just cruise) that are getting vaccines at USA ports are getting doses that Americans are refusing to get.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Not that my opinion matters but instead of Pfizer at Galveston IMHO it should be J&J's 1&Done ✔ 

Canada just received J&J and has it on hold. Problems 

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

like India ??? 😷

Not sure what you mean?  Canadians and USA citizens I am referring to. 30 percent of population fully vaccinated in USA tells me we are not near herd immunity where we can go back to living our normal lives. 

look, we all have our opinions, but it is the cruise

industry who will make the decision. 

Edited by dog

Princess has 5 ships total sailing in July and August - with reduced crew ? at start-up ? - what's needed, about 500 vacc's per ship for the crew ?   seriously Princess - MAKE THAT HAPPEN - 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dog said:

Not sure what you mean?  Canadians and USA citizens I am referring to. 30 percent of population fully vaccinated in USA tells me we are not near herd immunity where we can go back to living our normal lives. 

ind who will make the decision. 

the 'decision' has been made - crew will be vaccinated in Florida ports - it's a done deal 🤑

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dog said:

industry who will make the decision. 

I know lack of FOMO is rearing it's ugly head. But life eventually returns as we near 60% [partially + fully jabbed]. This month [May] we return to:

1. SF Symphony at Davies Hall

2. Disneyland, Great America, Waterpark, Garlic Festival (ok, shouldn't count as it's modified)

3. Indoor dining

We're even asking on NextDoor if Summertime in the Grove will happen. If California & New Hampshire can do it, so can other states!

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, caribill said:

One would hope that any person receiving the vaccine ... has the potential for it to save their lives.

The only question is about how the line forms.

First responders and emergency department personnel ... critical, top of list.

People with underlying health issues, for whom coronavirus would be fatal.

After that ...?

People in areas with serious levels of infection...

People to staff leisure cruises...

It is sort of silly to even post something like that here.

Many, many, many posters have already told us their preference.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Miami-Dade County and Nomi Health started to provide cruise ship crew members with COVID-19 vaccination at PortMiami on Saturday.  They expect to vaccinate 900 crew members this week.  

Thank you.

A reference here:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/portmiami-begins-cruise-ship-crew-vaccination

45 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the 'decision' has been made - crew will be vaccinated in Florida ports - it's a done deal 🤑

I know I posted about that happening yesterday. 

And Costa,  MSC are sailing in May & June 2021. Wish them a safe cruise  

I only wish the best to all who choose to travel this year. 

cruising is a priority for some

done on this topic. 

21 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I know lack of FOMO is rearing it's ugly head. But life eventually returns as we near 60% [partially + fully jabbed]. This month [May] we return to:

1. SF Symphony at Davies Hall

2. Disneyland, Great America, Waterpark, Garlic Festival (ok, shouldn't count as it's modified)

3. Indoor dining

We're even asking on NextDoor if Summertime in the Grove will happen. If California & New Hampshire can do it, so can other states!

I know you are looking forward to opening up. It has been tough there for so long. Enjoy your freedom. 

2 hours ago, dog said:

True, however, are they in a top priority group?  
I am thinking they should wait, like we Canadians have to,  second dose comes 16 weeks after the first dose. 

lack  of vaccines here in Ontario, Canada. 
poor planning and management in both our countries.  Get the vaccines to the citizens who have paid for them. 

by the way, Celebrity cruises has said they are paying for vaccines for crew. Fair. 

The situation regarding lack of vaccines in Canada will be resolved starting tomorrow when the Pfizer plant in Michigan will be allowed to ship doses 2+ million doses per week. 

"I can confirm that as of May 3, the Canadian supply of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine will come from its manufacturing site in Kalamazoo," Canada federal Procurement Minister Anita Anand said. 

Canada will receive 2 million doses each week in May and 2.4 million doses each week in June, Anand said. 

Edited by Syracusefan44
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

The situation regarding lack of vaccines in Canada will be resolved starting tomorrow when the Pfizer plant in Michigan will be allowed to ship doses 2+ million doses per week. 

"I can confirm that as of May 3, the Canadian supply of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine will come from its manufacturing site in Kalamazoo," Canada federal Procurement Minister Anita Anand said. 

Canada will receive 2 million doses each week in May and 2.4 million doses each week in June, Anand said. 

Pfizer has not been a problem to get lately. Moderna, AZ, & J&J have delayed shipments frequently. 

but this will certainly help. 

Edited by dog

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Princess has 5 ships total sailing in July and August - with reduced crew ? at start-up ? - what's needed, about 500 vacc's per ship for the crew ?   seriously Princess - MAKE THAT HAPPEN - 

Royal class: Enchanted Princess: 1346 crew

Grand class: 1200 crew

Coral class: 895 crew

Still, it's not an overwhelming number so yes, MAKE THAT HAPPEN

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

One would hope that any person receiving the vaccine ... has the potential for it to save their lives.

The only question is about how the line forms.

First responders and emergency department personnel ... critical, top of list.

People with underlying health issues, for whom coronavirus would be fatal.

After that ...?

People in areas with serious levels of infection...

People to staff leisure cruises...

It is sort of silly to even post something like that here.

Many, many, many posters have already told us their preference.

I do not disagree with your list.

The problem is that with or without priority, people are not wanting to get the vaccine in Florida and many other places.

So if the vaccine is sitting there without demand, I see no reason not to offer it to ships' crews.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

I do not disagree with your list.

The problem is that with or without priority, people are not wanting to get the vaccine in Florida and many other places.

So if the vaccine is sitting there without demand, I see no reason not to offer it to ships' crews.

I do not disagree either. I will also add many of the crew members send money back to their families in their home countries, so by making sure that they are vaccinated, and that they can get back to work, whereas it might not help those back home from getting sick, it will help them economically. 

I will also say that as much as I would like cruising to start again, I think that we need to do what we can to help those in India and Brazil.

• Like 3