Restocking your cabin soft drink stash at ports of call?

Dakrew

Hi all, I tried in vain searching for an answer to my question but the search filter system here is not very robust. Decided to ask after looking through multiple pages of search results.

I know we can bring on 12 cans of soda/pp at embarkation, but can you restock from a port of call? 

Thanks in advance and regards

9 minutes ago, Dakrew said:

Hi all, I tried in vain searching for an answer to my question but the search filter system here is not very robust. Decided to ask after looking through multiple pages of search results.

I know we can bring on 12 cans of soda/pp at embarkation, but can you restock from a port of call? 

Thanks in advance and regards

Hi

Yes.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

How much soda are you drinking?

Brother and I are booked for a 14 day cruise and we aren't heavy drinkers of the wobbly pop or umbrella drink varieties. A can or two per day pp = more than the initial embarkation allotment. 

4 minutes ago, Dakrew said:

Could you elaborate on the "Not legally" comment? Is there somewhere on Carnivals website that addresses this?

I’m just going by the policy that says each passenger can bring on only one 12 pack of can drinks. If you could restock every time you’re in port why wouldn’t they just allow more at embankment? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bamaone said:

I’m just going by the policy that says each passenger can bring on only one 12 pack of can drinks. If you could restock every time you’re in port why wouldn’t they just allow more at embankment? 

Okay, thanks. I agree with your point what Carnival states regarding embarkation quotas, but it doesn't explicitly state or negate restocking at ports of call as, from what I could find, Carnival doesn't address this anywhere on their site. Ergo my question here. A few others have posted that it appears to be acceptable to do so.

16 minutes ago, Dakrew said:

Could you elaborate on the "Not legally" comment? Is there somewhere on Carnivals website that addresses this?

This is from the Carnival site

On embarkation day, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk), packaged in cans or cartons, may be brought on board and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less, per person.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bamaone said:

Yup, agreed. But it is specific to embarkation day. No statement regarding not being able to bring additional cans of soda on board at ports of call.

1 minute ago, Dakrew said:

Yup, agreed. But it is specific to embarkation day. No statement regarding not being able to bring additional cans of soda on board at ports of call.

Hey, you bring up good points. I think I’ll try it on our next cruise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bamaone said:

How would they know if you are restocking OR just buying soda for the rest of the cruise?  We have purchased soda at ports and nothing has ever been said.  Now booze is a different story.

• Like 1

The limit of 12 cans / boxes is also a logistical limit.  Imagine Joe 100 pack, showing up with 42 six-packs of cola on a dolly, all of which would need to go through the x-ray machine, because "you said no limit".

12 cans is a reasonable amount to hand-carry.

I don't think they care much about what you bring back at the ports (except for alcohol), again as long as it is a reasonable amount to hand carry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The embarkation restriction of 12 cans of soda may also be meant to limit the disruption caused by guests attempting to board with more carry on luggage than they could safely handle.

How often have we seen folk struggling with excess carry ons, slowing the line and impeding the boarding process?  We've even seen families of 6 each carrying soda and someone has their luggage tip or burst and cans roll down the boarding bridge creating safety hazards.

In ports, cruisers are generally not over burdened with carry ons, and the system is geared to finding hidden liquor, not soda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Dakrew said:

Go ahead, try and tell us what happens.    IF, they should confiscate your purchase, you know CCL will return it to you at disembarkation.  

• Thanks 1

Not thinking about packaging I bought a 6er of coke in plastic bottles from Wal-Mart in PV and no one said boo about it. I have restocked cans in Europe with no problem. There is even a liquor store in the terminal at Barcelona where they did not care about a bottle of Otard Cognac that is hard to find outside Europe. I often see people taking bottles aboard on the Mexican Rivera ports and some people leave it at a table for collecting liquor till the end of the cruise, but others walk on by with the hooch in a bag and head to the party.

• Thanks 1

I have done this every cruise since Carnival switched to pepsi without issue. We bring a twelve pack per person on to the ship at embarkation and restock from whichever port we feel we are running low by. Never had a problem. One member of my family drinks only Coke and together we drink about five a day. Really is a shame, she so loved bottomless bubble when they had Coke. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I have done this every cruise since Carnival switched to pepsi without issue. We bring a twelve pack per person on to the ship at embarkation and restock from whichever port we feel we are running low by. Never had a problem. One member of my family drinks only Coke and together we drink about five a day. Really is a shame, she so loved bottomless bubble when they had Coke. 

Same here, wasn't happy with Carnival going to Pepsi.

• Like 3

Great post. Made my day. Maybe we are turning the corner. When posts return to the days of old and folks want to know how to sneak coke or booze onboard instead of wondering if and when cruises will begin again......there is hope.

• Like 3

We have bought pops/sodas at the ports on several cruises.  Nobody ever questioned it when we re-boarded  .The one thing we noticed though is that it tastes different because of the water they use to make it.  

• Thanks 1