U.S. Senate allows Alaska-bound cruise ships to bypass Canada; House action could allow summer cruises this year

On 5/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, Blizzard54 said:

At this point I believe it is probably too late for this bill to have much if any effect.  Even if the house moved on it there would not be much time left of a short season.  It would probably not be worth the cost to move the ships for such a short season.  Seattle can handle 3 ships per day.  If schedules could be adjusted there could be 21 per week but I very much doubt the cruise line would attempt to bring in that many.  There could be a few just to show some effort.  As for Royal,  I would be surprised if they brought one in but I would sail on it if they did.  

I agree

On 5/14/2021 at 10:32 AM, broberts said:

If the cruises are fully vaccinated it would make sense for Canada to allow them to call.

But it would make no sense for the Canadian Government to allow them to call. The optics would be horrible. Every couple of days the opposition would gather the press around and show pictures of nice shiny cruise ships filled with fully vaccinated Americans sailing in and out of a Canadian port and then pound on the Government for their mishandling of our vaccine acquisition and rollout.  They would have a field day with this. 🥳

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

But it would make no sense for the Canadian Government to allow them to call. The optics would be horrible. Every couple of days the opposition would gather the press around and show pictures of nice shiny cruise ships filled with fully vaccinated Americans sailing in and out of a Canadian port and then pound on the Government for their mishandling of our vaccine acquisition and rollout.  They would have a field day with this. 🥳

The folks will see ships sailing with vaccinated folks on the News anyway...............transparency can sometimes hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Lack of cruise ships is not going to stop the opposition from that criticism. On the other hand, the government will point to the ships trumpeting the economic benefit. Both sides would try to take political advantage. Neither side is likely going to change many minds.

15 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Here’s an issue where I would expect everyone should agree. How often do we get one of those? 

You evidently are not familiar with the Governor of Washington State, Jay Inslee.  He would have to agree to open the Port of Seattle to cruise ships.