Prima Haven - Some Almost-Curmudgeonly Musings!

Like many Haven aficionados, I stressed about this past Wednesday’s reveal of the ship finding my “ideal” cabin in a very short period of artificially induced stress!

I quickly scanned the plans and was relatively happy with my choice.

In the hours/days since, as I have poured over all the renderings and available plans, I have really come to question some of NCL’s decisions with the new product.

I have been fortunate enough to sail about a dozen times in the Haven and Yacht Club over the past few years and loved many different features of both products. The Haven, until now,  has remained my favourite for various reasons.

On the positive side, I like how the restaurant, lounge and sun deck on Prima are all clustered together in a logical and “rational” layout.  Having aft elevators (so rare in newbuilds today) ties the entire complex together. It would have been nice to have stairs adjacent but two elevators for 200 odd (well, I’m assuming they’ll be odd…) passengers is a pretty good number when you think that the ship’s main elevators carry about double the load.

I like having an outdoor bar and as for the cabins, I like how the majority have nice, large glassed in showers.

OK - let’s look at my “hmmmmmmmmmm…..” list.

1. The renderings show ZERO shade on the outdoor decks. This is a HUGE problem on Seaside and Divina. I am hoping that NCL is consistent with their other Havens and will have umbrellas. Some designers/executives  don’t like their  “visions” being altered, so it might be a no go.

2. It would have been nice to make the Haven Lounge, Restaurant and outdoor bars keycard- less. It’s not a big deal, but it’s nice not having to pull out your card every few minutes (yes - I’m that bad …) for a drink. Which implies that, yes, make the Haven alcohol inclusive while you’re in the complex. Celebrity actually gives the upgraded alcohol package to all their suite guests.

3. I don’t like fussy design but the Haven suites are a bit minimalist for my tastes … an Ikea-oid sofa and three hubcaps on the wall do not luxury make. Again - personal tastes and the final product may be different.  Lots of greige decor on Celebrity’s Edge Class and now the Leonardo class ….

4. NCL is relentlessly telling us how the old Haven was inward facing whereas the new encompasses the sea and show comparisons of the Breakaway-type courtyards contrasted with the new open decks.  They conveniently leave out the fact that the Breakaway Class Havens had decent outdoor spaces and on Bliss onwards, actually wrapped around the front. Which brings me to

5. …. You stole my covered pool!!!!  I really liked this feature when it got a little too hot (or cold!) outside and was a must for those not-infrequent rainy sea days on the trip  to Bermuda. It also provided a controlled environment for families which brings me to

6. Is the Haven now essentially Adults Only?  Those under 16 are not allowed on the pool deck so are families supposed to go to the main pool?

7. From Bliss onwards (and I haven’t been on those ships yet), there’s that great two story forward Haven observation lounge.  The Seaside class on MSC (Prima's Second Cousin, Once Removed....) takes it even further with the two story space with the Yacht Club Restaurant on the second level and a forward facing outdoor (shockingly wind free) area outside the Top Sail Lounge on the main level.  I love my breakfasts on MSC with the soaring vistas and forward views. The new Haven Lounge looks like your typical Business Class Lounge with a limited view and  about zero physical or visual excitement.

Thoughts? Flames? Lots to think about until we get more details!

I am TOTALLY excited about the new ship but a little wary at the same time!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

1. Is the Haven now essentially Adults Only?  Those under 16 are not allowed on the pool deck so are families supposed to go to the main pool?

Personally I hope so but of course I understand that people travelling with children don't like it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

The new Haven Lounge looks like your typical Business Class Lounge with a limited view and  about zero physical or visual excitement.

That's a very bad thing. We love the lounge on the Epic with a view over the pooldeck but the lounge on the Breakaway is very boring with no view. 

54 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Is the Haven now essentially Adults Only?  Those under 16 are not allowed on the pool deck so are families supposed to go to the main pool?

stern.jpg

My guess is that the pool is all ages and the hot-tub deck above is adult-only. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Personally I hope so but of course I understand that people travelling with children don't like it!

The sundeck is 16 and up, not the pool deck. The sundeck is the smaller area above the pool deck with the 2 hot tubs.

• Like 1

Hubby has already commented about missing the ocean view from the bathroom (we've sailed H6 several times) 

Originally booked HA because I thought that was going to be equivalent to H6 - no separate bedroom/master, doesn't look like there is a couch

I love the renderings of the new Haven. I’m sure they’ll have sun umbrellas and there also seems to be covered seating near the outdoor bar. I’m personally glad the pool isn’t covered. As a sun worshipper who loves to be in the pool, I hate the covered courtyards. I would like to see some features that encourage hanging out in the outside areas after sundown, like the “fire pits” shown in the public area.

As for the rooms, we booked an aft owners suite. We love afts and I’ve commented in the past that the only thing missing on the huge balcony is a hot tub. Voila! Here it is on the Prima.

Edited by FLcruisergrl

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

From the website ..... Access to Sundeck restricted to age 16+.

I think we all agree on this, and the "Sundeck" is the deck above the pool with the two hot tubs.  Very similar to the sundeck on the BA ships which are also adult only, with hot tubs, and a level above the pool area.

I guess we won't be able to figure out which of us is correct until she sails, but I doubt they allow kids to be booked into Haven rooms and then tell them they can't use the pool.  That would get a huge backlash from current Haven families (and I am not one, but I would understand their outrage based on the cost).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

As for the rooms, we booked an aft owners suite. We love afts and I’ve commented in the past that the only thing missing on the huge balcony is a hot tub. Voila! Here it is on the Prima.

I want the same. Our MSC Yacht Club cruises (past/cancelled/future) all had a hot tub on the balcony.

That category that you booked is perfect for us but Prima isn't meshing with our schedules for now...😔

I'd have to cancel a land-based vacation to book Prima in Spring 2023. I'll just have to wait and read your review. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I want the same. Our MSC Yacht Club cruises (past/cancelled/future) all had a hot tub on the balcony.

That category that you booked is perfect for us but Prima isn't meshing with our schedules for now...😔

I'd have to cancel a land-based vacation to book Prima in Spring 2023. I'll just have to wait and read your review. 

Dec 16, 2022! It’s a long way off, but we have a Dawn GV booked for March to tide us over! 🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oteixeira said:

I think we all agree on this, and the "Sundeck" is the deck above the pool with the two hot tubs.  Very similar to the sundeck on the BA ships which are also adult only, with hot tubs, and a level above the pool area.

I guess we won't be able to figure out which of us is correct until she sails, but I doubt they allow kids to be booked into Haven rooms and then tell them they can't use the pool.  That would get a huge backlash from current Haven families (and I am not one, but I would understand their outrage based on the cost).

This is where it gets interesting .....

Both levels are called the "Sundeck" on their own plans .....

IMG-3434.PNG

IMG-3435.PNG

13 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

This is where it gets interesting .....

Both levels are called the "Sundeck" on their own plans .....

IMG-3434.PNG

IMG-3435.PNG

Omg stop. Lol. No one knows if children will be allowed in the Haven pool. 
I personally hope they are not allowed, but children are people too, so I may have to live with it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

I personally hope they are not allowed, but children are people too, so I may have to live with it. 

Hey - just throwing it out there!

inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

I agree with this. LOL.  The plans are still a bit "sketchy" IMO. 

Also, I think it would be hard to tell a family booked in a 2-BR Haven suite that their children are not permitted in the Haven pool, which the family has paid to be able to use as part of their Haven benefits, right?

I will add, and yes, fully expect to get flamed for it, that children's behaviours are the product of their parent's teaching.  Some children are so well behaved, you don't even know they're there.  I also remember being a child, don't you @Dr. Cocktail?

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Some children are so well behaved, you don't even know they're there.  I also remember being a child, don't you @Dr. Cocktail?

For the record, I would like to state that I have stated NOTHING about what I think about kids being or not being there - I was just pointing out that is was all, as you say,  "sketchy"!!!

• Like 1

One of the reasons I didn't jump into booking this was the uncertainty around Haven and kids. My angels (I mean kids) rarely use the Haven pool as it's too "boring" for them, but I might be a little miffed if I paid the price they are charging for Haven only to find out that my kids are not permitted to use it if they wished. If it was stated upfront and I knew on booking (like sundeck on Bliss, etc) then that's fair but right now - nope. The other reason I didn't jump into booking was the price they are charging for Haven. HOLY!!!!!

It sure does look like a beautiful ship!

• Like 2

I also noticed that this new ship NCL has piped down or went minimalist.  The Haven cabins while nice and even look larger look very RCCL.  Gone are the over the top luxury fixtures and definitely have went more minimalist.  It looks like the inside bars got scaled back which allowed the second bedroom to get more space.  The cabins look like they could be on the Oasis of the Seas.  

Look, I am going to say it once more.  If the haven pool/sundeck was adult only completely, NCL would state it before ever selling a room, because this would be a game changer for a lot of families.  Also, it goes against everything NCL is trying to do with the Haven family suites, so it's just not going to happen.  The upper deck is adult only, the pool is going to be just like the other haven ships.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:The ship looks amazing as does the Haven. My reservations/questions:

1. There are a lot of Haven suites. Will the Haven areas be crowded?

2. Those prices. 😱😱 

1. I don’t think so. Many of the owners suites have hot tubs, so many I bet many of those will enjoy their balconies (I will be one of those). The blurbs say this is the biggest Haven yet, so I have hope that it won’t be crowded.

2. Oh I know! But, I gladly cancelled my 5 day on the Escape in the Haven and paid more than double for a 7 day on the Prima. I couldn’t resist the allure of a brand new ship unlike anything we’ve seen on NCL!

• Like 2