Many more excursions requiring fee

rcandkc

9 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I’m booking excursions for May 2022.  Surprised how so many have a fee instead of free.  Anyone else notice this? 

We are booked on a May '22 cruise from Miami - Montreal where we locked in 21 excursions for the two of us in every port.  The total fee was $0. There appeared to be several free options per port. The ones with the fees were what I would have expected based upon the description or the private car service. 

One of the excursions included a lobster lunch with no fee. Another included a pub crawl also without a fee.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I noticed when booking for a previous Alaska cruise there were quite a few more payment-required options than usual. Also they seemed relatively expensive in Alaska. 

Edited by Jimmcdaniel
Typo

We don't book our excursions until July for next summer's cruise, but looking at the prices posted for the "Choice", the prices seem very, very high.  In one locale, the only free excursions are 3-hour bus trips.  I remember when we did Alaska in 2012, we did mostly free ones, with a few paid, smaller excursions, but we only paid only a few hundred dollars total.  Granted, it's going to be ten years on, and in the emerging post-covid period, I guess it's not surprising that prices would be sky-high.  But in Alesund, I see the 8-hour Trollstigen bus trip is $195, with the small-group version being $234.  In that port, the only free ones are 2 and 3 hour walking tours.

Of course, we will pay the freight to do what we want on this cruise.  Since it would be our first cruise in almost four years, and perhaps our last, we won't stint.  And I think this is what Regent is assuming, too.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I agree, we've seem more tours with fee's on are Feb cruise than seem normal.  However you had lot's of choice's with no fee.  I know this sounds odd, but we prefer going touring on are own most of the time. It works for us (we just pick a few from Regent.

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree, we've seem more tours with fee's on are Feb cruise than seem normal.  However you had lot's of choice's with no fee.  I know this sounds odd, but we prefer going touring on are own most of the time. It works for us (we just pick a few from Regent.

We do the same

Well saying that you just roll your own isn't very helpful to most Regent cruisers, since it's supposed to be an all-inclusive line with good choices for those who do want to take them.  I admit I'd rather do my own as well, but don't generally, not when they're included.  And of course, we don't know yet, but in some areas, going off on your own may not be a choice, at least not this year or perhaps next.

• Like 1

We reserved our excursions 10 days ago for MAY 6 2022 on Splendor, and did not feel there were too many "fee required" ones. On 15 day cruise we reserved 2 FEE excursions and wait listed for a 3rd one And intend to do an  all day Bordeaux one on our own

34 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well saying that you just roll your own isn't very helpful to most Regent cruisers, since it's supposed to be an all-inclusive line with good choices for those who do want to take them.  I admit I'd rather do my own as well, but don't generally, not when they're included.  And of course, we don't know yet, but in some areas, going off on your own may not be a choice, at least not this year or perhaps next.

Just being truthful, I personally wish Regent gave a choice with credit for those not taking tours.  This would be better for all, opening up space for those who want to go.  The question was do you see more fee added--and the answer was yes with a little extra information-I see nothing wrong with the answer.

• Like 1

Our experience in Alaska (although it was many years ago) was that there are excursion booths set up along the waterfront.  My husband took one of those and was very happy with it.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:29 AM, Pcardad said:

The pub crawl in each port is usually a great trip!

Glad to hear this.  We are on the April Tokyo to Vancouver and have been to Alaska before.  I signed us up for the Ketchikan Pub Crawl.  This is near the end of the cruise and by then we are starting  to slow down abit and thought this would be good.