Need a betting pool on how soon after cruising resumes before the first offended review at how it's all gone downhill

KmomChicago

1 hour ago, d12j28 said:

I am just curious why you think you are privileged? I assume your family worked and saved for the things you wanted to do?

Working hard is no guarantee of achievement. Hence the priveledge of being in a situation that permits saving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Love Boat was really a boat. It was quite small compared to the average cruise ship of today. The boat was (now scrapped) The Pacific Princess for the pilot and movie shot before the TV show which was largely shot in a studio with only exterior establishing shots done aboard The Island Princess. It sailed from Los Angeles harbor to Mexico, and could be docked most anywhere as it was only a tad more than 500 feet long and had less than 700 passengers. Pacific Cruise Line merged with Carnival in 2003 in a $5.4 billion deal. 

• Like 1

Seems like you have to be under 65 feet to be a boat and then after that you are in ship territory.

Again for me, I think a ship is just a really big BOAT.  Unfortunately the definitions say there is no such thing as a ship size boat.

https://www.boaterexam.com/boating-resources/boat-size-classifications.aspx

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Seems like you have to be under 65 feet to be a boat and then after that you are in ship territory.

Again for me, I think a ship is just a really big BOAT. 

That's all just good and fine, as long as I don't embark to a BOAT-ON-A-STICK.  😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

That's all just good and fine, as long as I don't embark to a BOAT-ON-A-STICK.  😉

see now that thing is only like 5 inches so I’m afraid it can’t be a ship either. Goes both ways.

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 3:37 AM, KmomChicago said:

I thought every floating vessel was properly under the general umbrella of boat but apparently size matters.

Well, now you know, right? You see, it is true that we all learn something new every day. 😉

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, KmomChicago said:

I'm entirely comfortable with the boatage terminology but it is risky.

Try this some time: On your next cruise, if you happen to see the captain of the 'ship', refer to his/her vessel as a 'boat' and see how far that gets you...LOL! 🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:46 PM, BlerkOne said:

All ships are boats. Prove me wrong.

36 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

“You can put a boat on a ship, but you can’t put a ship on a boat.” 😉

Tssssssssss... the sound of the sun hitting the ocean!

32 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Try this some time: On your next cruise, if you happen to see the captain of the 'ship', refer to his/her vessel as a 'boat' and see how far that gets you...LOL! 🤣

How about captain of a submarine?

When it comes to ships vs boats there are no universal  rules. It truly is a case of you know it when you see it.

The Mayflower was a ship. It was much smaller than American Jazz, an American Cruise Lines riverboat.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

I will pass, thanks.

I think a door that floats is a boat after the Titanic sinks. I get it. I’m wrong. But I grew up thinking boats are the generic word for any floating thing a person can ride on. I think a ship is a big boat and a raft is a crappy flat little boat and a kayak is a fun little personal self propelled boat, and even an inner tube with netting preventing a person from falling through is essentially a bare bones boat. The brain processes the language as it’s been presented.

21 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I think a door that floats is a boat after the Titanic sinks. I get it. I’m wrong. But I grew up thinking boats are the generic word for any floating thing a person can ride on. I think a ship is a big boat and a raft is a crappy flat little boat and a kayak is a fun little personal self propelled boat, and even an inner tube with netting preventing a person from falling through is essentially a bare bones boat. The brain processes the language as it’s been presented.

They are all boats. I think of a ship as a boat with ego issues.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Oh! I really laughed out loud when I read your post! Thank you KmomC! You brightened up my day. 

• Haha 1