The Daily for Sunday May 23, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

@atexsix  I am thrilled to see you posting on the Daily! We were booked to go to Hawaii on the Eurodam with you, but You Know What Interfered with all those plans. However, reading your news about the stroke game me pause and prompted me to reach out. Your new Alaska booking sounds absolutely terrific and should be quite restorative to the soul. You will bring a lot of positive energy to your Roll Call and will have a grand time. We are not set to sail until May 2022 (Alaska). Until then, I will continue lurking here at the Daily. As you know, all these wonderful people consistently lift the spirits of others with humor and compassion.

Wishing you all the very best.

-Cat

Cat!  Great to hear from you!  Ah yes, we had a fantastic roll call, fun times!  I guess 2020 was not my year, but I think most of the planet had issues as well.  I kept trying to remind myself that I wasn't the only one with ruined vacation plans, there were millions. 

I'm hopeful the Alaska cruise will take place, so many unknowns still with vaccination protocols, I really didn't want to go anywhere until it was more settled, but Dear Dad did, at his age he wants to travel because who knows how long he'll be able.  But it's all just more to think about.

Glad you are doing well and hopefully we'll still be able to cruise together, I'm not ruling out another Alaska next year, if other countries continue to keep their borders closed then we'll have to. 

Wishing you the best as well,

Bruno

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

What a delightful potting bench!  I had no idea such a thing was possible -- with the sink and all. 

I bet you get a lot of enjoyment out of this project!  

Thanks! 
I’m rather sad to see it done. But that also means I get to use it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So I’ve got a question for the Garden Club. I planted yellow Passion Fruit seeds some 5-6 weeks ago in this pot. Only this seedling sprouted, and I’m hoping it’s a Passion Fruit. Its about 3/4” tall and just added another leaf.... and now, I’m starting to wonder if it might be Bind Weed.🤨

EA89CDCB-AFF9-447C-96DE-56226A13CF99.thumb.jpeg.7a407bc91909e59486236f19b9def4ba.jpeg

Any ideas?
The pictures I find online of Passion Fruit seedlings are more mature than this, and the leaves look a little glossy.I’m going to continue to nurture it, and hope it’s a Passion Fruit. 

Just finished installing my sink in my potting bench. I’m ready to use it as soon as the rest of the oil sealer dries- a few more days still.

4E93C1C9-7738-412E-A84E-DE847008B11E.thumb.jpeg.da2b2a5ecdf39574f1ce24db789c2712.jpeg9BFB7320-94D0-45D8-BF8E-CC3A497EE2F4.thumb.jpeg.bd50b8ae7fe57fceaf086bf05cff8c47.jpegE460D49A-56D7-46D7-BB55-4D89F7F2A252.thumb.jpeg.6b6f28222cab07287268b7a7044b2a1d.jpeg

Wow, what an exquisite potting bench.  I’m jealous.

I just bend over and plant.

Now as to your passion fruit question.  I’ve never grown them as we can’t do it in our climate but from what I saw, the seeds should come up quickly.  

I found this video that you might find helpful - he’s a pretty good gardener IMO and you can see some of the leaves too to give you an idea.  https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiq5on3iOHwAhUFF1kFHYkeAs0QwqsBMAB6BAgEEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DK430Jz8ai2k&usg=AOvVaw2xm11OC-z2RRnLSBxTCxTX

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

part-time temporary gig as a lifeguard. Didn’t that used to be a teenager in college kind of job?

Furthermore, it requires training and certification -- it's not unskilled labor. Because pools were closed last year, there are probably few newly-qualified people to fill the positions vacated by others who moved on, either because they had to find other work last season, or finished school.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Furthermore, it requires training and certification -- it's not unskilled labor. Because pools were closed last year, there are probably few newly-qualified people to fill the positions vacated by others who moved on, either because they had to find other work last season, or finished school.

At least more than a perm and implants a la Baywatch 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Your wood is beautiful!  Great work.

Thanks!

I gulped when I got the actual price for the wood- about double what I expected. It’s A Grade, S4S (surfaced 4 sides). So I re-drew the plans to minimize waste, which expanded the bench 10”. But we have more work area ( a bench for 2😉😁) and my scrap pile is minuscule. I’ve got about enough to make some plant name stakes.

• Like 10

Along with everything else, reports of charters are starting to show up!

@VMax1700 if you are still doing the Charter and Dry Dock list, this was just posted on FB

New Dates & Ship Announced! Bluesin’® On The High Seas November 6-13, 2021 from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba & Half Moon Cay (Bahamas Private Island) on Holland America’s ms Nieuw Amsterdam.

I am booked on a 10/30/21 whole ship charter on Nieuw Amsterdam which returns on 11/6/21.

• Like 9

This is a very busy thread today, thanks to Rich for the daily,and to Kazu and Roy for the Care and Celebration Lists.

Have not been to the port of the day.

No pennies since 1967 when the country changed to dollars and cents..  We no longer have 1, 2 or 5 cent coins, just the 10, 20, and 50 cents, also one and  two dollar coins.  The notes are 5,10, 20 ,50 and 100 dollars.  

Sunshine was forecast for today, but it mostly hidden behind dark clouds.

Take care everyone.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

This is a very busy thread today, thanks to Rich for the daily,and to Kazu and Roy for the Care and Celebration Lists.

Have not been to the port of the day.

No pennies since 1967 when the country changed to dollars and cents..  We no longer have 1, 2 or 5 cent coins, just the 10, 20, and 50 cents, also one and  two dollar coins.  The notes are 5,10, 20 ,50 and 100 dollars.  

Sunshine was forecast for today, but it mostly hidden behind dark clouds.

Take care everyone.

Do you find yourself with an over abundance of 1and 2 dollar coins?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

All three of the pools I have been familiar with had college student lifeguards. Yes, they were certified and actually worked for a company that provided lifeguards to a list of pools. And even back then they were always looking for more workers, always shorthanded even long before the pandemic. I remember my mother’s condo pool being closed a couple of times due to no lifeguard and all the residents were very upset. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 3

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

@VMax1700 if you are still doing the Charter and Dry Dock list, this was just posted on FB

New Dates & Ship Announced! Bluesin’® On The High Seas November 6-13, 2021 from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba & Half Moon Cay (Bahamas Private Island) on Holland America’s ms Nieuw Amsterdam.

I am booked on a 10/30/21 whole ship charter on Nieuw Amsterdam which returns on 11/6/21.

You must be on the Malt Shop Memories cruise. We went in 2019 but didn’t sign up for this year. I see they are sold out and doing a waiting list. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 3

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Thanks Rich.  I don't 'do' FB so always appreciate the info.

I started to update the list over the weekend and intend to post it during first week of June.  I stopped doing the monthly updates as it seemed that within a few days of posting an update HAL would issue more cancellations 😭.  Hopefully cancellations are now at and end 🤞.

Your charter on 30th October is the 'Malt Shop Memories Cruise' correct?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Do you find yourself with an over abundance of 1and 2 dollar coins?

Like erewhon, we no longer have $1 or $2 bills either.  They are coins.  We call our dollar coin the loony and the two dollar coin the tooney.  We never have an over abundance of them.  DH is frequently asking me if I have any in my change purse when he wants to wash the car. 😉  😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Your charter on 30th October is the 'Malt Shop Memories Cruise' correct?

I am not actually on the charter, I did a cut and paste from FB and didn't think about someone thinking richwmn was on the cruise. Sorry.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I am not actually on the charter, I did a cut and paste from FB and didn't think about someone thinking richwmn was on the cruise. Sorry.

🤣  Cut and paste is a dangerous function 🤣

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know it's off topic but....

Congratulations to Phil Mickelson!!!

Nice to see an 'Oldie' coming out on top.  Brain over Brawn.

BBBBBut, the crowd scenes on the 18th fairway for Phil's second shot were downright scary.   My brain just could not handle that number of people jostling and shouting so close to each other, with very few masks in evidence. 

• Like 2