Carnival Plans to Run Test Cruises From Galveston

Lee Cruiser

16 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

If this article is correct, then Carnival plans to run test cruises out of Galveston. I'm guessing these would have to take place very soon if they plan to do revenue cruises in July from there.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/05/25/carnival-plans-run-test-cruises-galveston

Yes, no, maybe. I think it is just more liar's poker. No one under 18 can go on test cruises anyway, and how can you test protocols for children without children on the ship.

I think Carnival is trying to get the CDC to make an exemption for children under 12, if not older.

1 minute ago, Radiioman46 said:

Plus, the port of Galveston Boss says that Carnival hasn't shown any indication of doing test cruises, or has applied for any cruise testing dates out of the port of Galveston. So, clearly, what's gong on?

Just the usual confusion and conflicting information. It'll get sorted out soon.....hopefully. 

I was reading the article on CC and it looks like Carnival will use employees for their test cruises.  Royal plans on a two night test cruise.  If these test cruises can just be short two night runs, it seems like cruising may open up fairly quickly.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/articles.cfm?ID=5879

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I was reading the article on CC and it looks like Carnival will use employees for their test cruises.  Royal plans on a two night test cruise.  If these test cruises can just be short two night runs, it seems like cruising may open up fairly quickly.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/articles.cfm?ID=5879

Interesting information.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

That is a great idea for Carnival to use employees.  Then they know everyone will follow the rules and things should go smoothly.  If a two day cruise with employees for each ship will be all it takes, that sounds like a great plan.

• Like 1

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

That is a great idea for Carnival to use employees.  Then they know everyone will follow the rules and things should go smoothly.  If a two day cruise with employees for each ship will be all it takes, that sounds like a great plan.

Yes, should make for fairly quick process, assuming their protocols work well and they don't have to redo them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jedi bobs said:

Quick question, on test cruises do the cruiselines have to ask about vacination? ALso with no one alowed to get off what does that do with the Jones act?

Either, or...

• The cruise ship operator must ensure all volunteer passengers have either:
    • Proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 using an U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-authorized vaccine or a vaccine product that has received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO); or
    • If not fully vaccinated, written documentation from a healthcare provider or self-certified statement that the volunteer passenger has no medical conditions that would place the volunteer at high risk for severe COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

Some other factors

• The cruise ship operator must ensure all volunteer passengers have either:
    • Proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 using an U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-authorized vaccine or a vaccine product that has received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO); or
    • If not fully vaccinated, written documentation from a healthcare provider or self-certified statement that the volunteer passenger has no medical conditions that would place the volunteer at high risk for severe COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance.
  • The simulation must be conducted with the signed informed consent of all participants and not as a condition of employment or in exchange for consideration or future reward. For the purpose of these technical instructions, passage on board the ship, accommodations, provision of food and beverages, participation in shore excursions and private island visits, and attendance at entertainment events while participating as part of a simulated voyage will not be deemed a form of consideration. The cruise ship operator must document this signed informed consent for each participant in writing, either on paper or electronically. The cruise ship operator must also preserve the paper or electronic consent forms and make them available to CDC upon request at any time while the CSO remains in effect.

1 hour ago, jedi bobs said:

Quick question, on test cruises do the cruiselines have to ask about vacination? ALso with no one alowed to get off what does that do with the Jones act?

Nothing, the Jones Act deals with cargo ships.

10 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

If these test cruises can just be short two night runs, it seems like cruising may open up fairly quickly.

The problem with test sailings out of Galveston is that the suitable ports are relatively far away.  Progreso and Cozumel are about a day and a half of sailing away, with Costa Maya a little further down the Yucatan.  Four days is looking like the minimum for any test cruise from there.  It's not insurmountable, and I'm sure Carnival is taking it into account in their planning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The problem with test sailings out of Galveston is that the suitable ports are relatively far away.  Progreso and Cozumel are about a day and a half of sailing away, with Costa Maya a little further down the Yucatan.  Four days is looking like the minimum for any test cruise from there.  It's not insurmountable, and I'm sure Carnival is taking it into account in their planning.

They could probably get it down to 4 days/3 nights if they really hustle and keep a single Progreso visit down to 3-4 hours but your point still stands. Also, it'll be interesting to see if the CDC expects a test cruise to be as realistic as possible.

I suspect in FLA every ship will drive from their homeport straight to a PI and back with an overnight on the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Yes, so true.  It would be impossible to do a two night test sailing like RC is doing in Florida.

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I thought the cruise lines are specifically not allowed to use employees as volunteers.

The test cruises must not be a requirement for employment - i.e. they can't coerce the crew to act as pax for the purpose of the cruise.

But I bet there are a ton of crew members that will jump at the chance to be treated even just a bit like a real passenger!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The test cruises must not be a requirement for employment - i.e. they can't coerce the crew to act as pax for the purpose of the cruise.

But I bet there are a ton of crew members that will jump at the chance to be treated even just a bit like a real passenger!

Certainly.  I'm also guessing that many would because they are ready to get back to work and their volunteering helps that take place quicker.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Perhaps. But there are also follow up requirements after a cruise.  I think Carnival is requiring all crew to be vaccinated so not sure how much of a test it is?

40 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps. But there are also follow up requirements after a cruise.  I think Carnival is requiring all crew to be vaccinated so not sure how much of a test it is?

I believe the test cruise is more about protocols since they have to simulate people testing positive to show how they would handle those types of situations?  

• Like 1

So to follow up with this specific topic, rather than dump it in one of the vaguely related threads:

Disney has announced they are going to do test cruises, and are using volunteer "staff" to act as passengers.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/06/01/disney-to-begin-simulated-cruises-out-of-port-canaveral/

"Disney Cruise Lines will begin two-night test cruises of the Disney Dream starting June 29 sailing out of Port Canaveral with volunteer staff acting as passengers."

I note the use of the term "staff" vs "crew" - so maybe the faux pax are going to be land-based staff from their HQ and Logistics/warehouse center.

It would not surprise me if Carnival did the same.  Should be enough furloughed people ready to come back to work at Miami HQ with a 2 or 3 day cruise as part of the deal!

• Like 1