CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June

ipeeinthepool

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization has approved mixed vaccinations, as have government health officials in a dozen other countries. Even the CDC now allows for mixed mRNA vaccinations in exceptional circumstance:

In exceptional situations in which the mRNA vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series.

DW and I will be eligible to book for our 2nd shot tomorrow, although it may be weeks before we can actually secure an appointment due to the ongoing shortage of vaccine in Ottawa. We are hoping for a 2nd Moderna dose, but will take Pfizer if that's all that is available.

Good to hear.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization has approved mixed vaccinations, as have government health officials in a dozen other countries. Even the CDC now allows for mixed mRNA vaccinations in exceptional circumstance:

In exceptional situations in which the mRNA vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series.

DW and I will be eligible to book for our 2nd shot tomorrow, although it may be weeks before we can actually secure an appointment due to the ongoing shortage of vaccine in Ottawa. We are hoping for a 2nd Moderna dose, but will take Pfizer if that's all that is available.

I saw on the morning news recently that tests are underway here on mixing vaccines including the J&J vaccine. They hope to have results by the end of summer. Good luck with your second dose.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I keep hearing that the US has excess dosages and is sending them to other countries................you would think that a neighbor would get first dibs.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

I keep hearing that the US has excess dosages and is sending them to other countries................you would think that a neighbor would get first dibs.

I really appreciate the sentiment. Nevertheless, while that would help us catch up, and would indirectly help the US by enabling us to remove travel restrictions between our two countries, I think that the countries under consideration for receiving the excess vaccines are in far greater need.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

I really appreciate the sentiment. Nevertheless, while that would help us catch up, and would indirectly help the US by enabling us to remove travel restrictions between our two countries, I think that the countries under consideration for receiving the excess vaccines are in far greater need.

I agree.

We have secured enough doses to be delivered. May not be as fast as we would like but they will arrive. 
There are countries that have not had the luxury of receiving any vaccines yet and any country with a surplus should be sending them there.

• Like 4

The actual data on mixing vaccine is very good ie. improved efficacy. I got Moderna, and then the Moderna fiasco happened ie. no more supply. That has since been fixed, but was very willing to take Pfizer as my second. The latest word from Moderna is to stick with same vax as first until you must mix . The AstraZeneca crowd will be fine to mix. 
As to the politics in play...both Trump & Biden flatly refused to supply vax, but Biden eventually released a few doses of Astra as US did not intend to use. This country’s political leaders have royally created one huge cluster **** hence the mess we were in. Politicians need to stay out of science!

I have no issue with vaccinations(to a point), but think a fully unvaccinated ship is a foolish endeavour. My hard earned thousands are down the drain if a handful of pax get really sick. Missed ports, isolation, denied re-entry, fear??? At least with fully vaccinated pax, you know everyone has done due diligence to mitigate issues for all. Team approach.

3 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Lol...one would’ve thought so.....but there is so much more to all of this, we the people...will never be privileged to the insider info.....and you can’t believe any news!

6 hours ago, calicakes said:

How do you know this?

Maybe a better question is: What have you seen that suggests the Reflection is close to sailing?  Are the ports open?  Is the Reflection picking up crew to re-staff?

Until things clear up in Europe Celebrity isn't going to make the investment to put crew on-board and sail it to Europe.

I don't see any encouraging signs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Maybe a better question is: What have you seen that suggests the Reflection is close to sailing?  Are the ports open?  Is the Reflection picking up crew to re-staff?

Until things clear up in Europe Celebrity isn't going to make the investment to put crew on-board and sail it to Europe.

Sorry, I'm too busy to follow what X is doing as far as staffing goes.  The Reflection( as well as other ships) still appear on the Amsterdam port calendar.  That is all I know thus far. 

2 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Sorry, I'm too busy to follow what X is doing as far as staffing goes.  The Reflection( as well as other ships) still appear on the Amsterdam port calendar.  That is all I know thus far. 

That's ok, you can just take our word for it.  You're not sailing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Interesting from 3 days ago…maybe a good sign…

https://www.tiktok.com/@captainkatemccue/video/6969681159378767109

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Who is "our"? 

Perhaps you're too busy but there are several people on this thread and others that suggest that other than the Apex and Silhouette, Celebrity won't be sailing from Europe this year.  I also have connections.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

Can you explain?  I don't have Tik Tok. 

It was a video from Captain Kate of the Edge explaining that some crew quarantined on the Edge and then were transferred to 3 different ships, including Summit, Silhouette, and Reflection. It's unclear if they are staffing the ships, or just rotating crew in and out based on contract lengths. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

This list shows all of the Europe cancelled cruises( among other cancelled cruises), however the Reflection is not on the list.  If we paid with FCC, do we just get the FCC back?  I'm assuming we're not going to get 125 percent of FCC back again if X cancels. 

Just now, calicakes said:

If we paid with FCC, do we just get the FCC back?  I'm assuming we're not going to get 125 percent of FCC back again if X cancels. 

My parents had this issue--the FCC continues to be transferred to another booking (or remain as FCC not assigned to a trip) but you are correct, if you already got the bonus 25% FCC you do not get an additional 25% on top of that. 

26 minutes ago, calicakes said:

The Reflection( as well as other ships) still appear on the Amsterdam port calendar.  

I also still hope that things change enough over here (The Netherlands) to make Celebrity decide to send Reflection over, but don't put too much faith into the Amsterdam port calendar that is posted online... that calendar still shows the July itineraries even though they really have been cancelled already by Celebrity.

7 minutes ago, Antropos said:

I also still hope that things change enough over here (The Netherlands) to make Celebrity decide to send Reflection over, but don't put too much faith into the Amsterdam port calendar that is posted online... that calendar still shows the July itineraries even though they really have been cancelled already by Celebrity.

Thank you, how are the vaccines going over there?  Also, Why didn't X just cancel instead of stringing us along.  The list I posted above shows all of the cancelled European cruises and ours is not on the list. 

52 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Thank you, how are the vaccines going over there?  Also, Why didn't X just cancel instead of stringing us along.  The list I posted above shows all of the cancelled European cruises and ours is not on the list. 

The vaccination process is actually going really, really well. We started slow (compared to some other European countries), but currently more than 1 million vaccines are adminstered per week and the total number is north of 10.5 million. Eligibility is determined by birth year and today everybody born in 1985 or 1986 has been asked to make an appointment for their first shot.

With regards to your question about cancellations... well, I guess Celebrity wants to wait as long as possible hoping that more people will pay their cruise in full. Another reason for waiting is that there still might be a chance that the cruise season in Europe is not completely off the table... Starting today Spain is welcoming cruise ships again. For Reflection the wait is for the western and northern part of Europe to make a decision. As it is today, people from the US are not allowed to enter The Netherlands without the need to self quarantine for 10 days - it doesn't matter if your vaxxed or not. As long as that remains the policy Celebrity will not send Reflection (or any other vessel) over. 

You are right that your quoted list does not contain the Reflection sailings of August, but there is another list... a list that mentions all the ships that will take part in 'restarting the cruise industry'. And Reflection is not on that list either. I also still hope that Reflection will come over to Amsterdam, but as it looks now, I think the chances of that happening are slim to none.  

Edited by Antropos
spelling

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

The Reflection is still showing on the Port Calendar from months past and is no where near European waters.

We should have been on the TA that should have seen us arrive in Amsterdam on May 5th.
X cancelled just before Final payment was due.

As others have said Reflection is currently just off the coast of the Bahamas and since it is not on the restart to cruising list I would not expect it to be going anywhere any time soon

2 hours ago, ohiolovescrusing said:

Interesting from 3 days ago…maybe a good sign…

https://www.tiktok.com/@captainkatemccue/video/6969681159378767109

Interesting.

The Edge and Summit have both been frequenting Port Everglades recently, so perhaps both ships are being used for quarantine purposes before sending crew off to the others.  We're just over 15 days from the Edge sailing, so perhaps one more stop in port for crew in the next day or two?

Edited by D C

The Equinox and Summit are in port today with the Silhouette just offshore (she was in port a couple of days ago) and the Reflection not too far away.  The Edge is now all alone off Freeport Bahamas.  Lots of shuffling going on it seems.