CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June

ipeeinthepool

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Even if an injunction is granted, which I think is unlikely, it doesn't solve much. It throws a huge wrench in Alaska cruises, cruise lines can't restart entire fleets immediately and bookings are still weak. Demand is not there. Edge cruises on the 26th and the crew will not be considered fully vaccinated until the 25th. I don't really foresee any cruise line being willing to simply pull the bandaid off and go all-in on totally unrestricted cruises. 

There will also be longterm COVID guidelines just like they have noro guidelines (that no other industry has to live up to). We don't know what those are yet, but I would 1000% bet they are in the works. 

It’s hard to plop down over ten grand for a cruise until we know if Florida will get its way. I have other comments but will keep those to myself.😊 I noticed that the cruise that we placed on hold showed yesterday morning the ports of San Juan, St. Maarten, Tortola BVI and DR. Last night they were changed to St. Maarten, Tortola BVI and Nassau. 

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Explain why this affects Alaska cruises?

In order to get around the Canadian port issue because they are currently closed, Congress passed a bill that would allow the ships to sail bypassing Canada but only on the condition that the CSO is not lifted.  Lifting the CSO would invalidate the law passed and then the cruises would need to stop at a foreign port.  Basically congress passed something that ratified the CSO and that its within the CDCs authority since the requirement basically is enshrined in the bill.  

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Explain why this affects Alaska cruises?

The provisional Alaska agreement lists specific ships that are cleared to sail to Alaska, and those ships must have approval under the terms of the CSO to sail. So if the CSO goes away, those ships inherently don't have the blessing of the CSO. Then they're stuck between yet another rock and a hard place for what is already a very short Alaska season.

3 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

From my understanding, the Alaska cruise legislation includes the Conditional Sail Order, so if the CSO is over turned, then the requirements are no longer met for the ships to sail Seattle round-trip without a Canada stop. 

But that requirement was eliminated for Alaska-only via legislation that was passed.  Not sure why elimination of the CSO by the judge in the FL case overturns that legislation.

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The provisional Alaska agreement lists specific ships that are cleared to sail to Alaska, and those ships must have approval under the terms of the CSO to sail. So if the CSO goes away, those ships inherently don't have the blessing of the CSO. Then they're stuck between yet another rock and a hard place for what is already a very short Alaska season.

ok thanks

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

But that requirement was eliminated for Alaska-only via legislation that was passed.  Not sure why elimination of the CSO by the judge in the FL case overturns that legislation.

It must as I read that the attorneys for the CDC told the Florida judge that if he ruled against the CDC that Alaska cruises would be in jeopardy. 

The Alaska law is pretty clear.....

This Act may be cited as the ``Alaska Tourism Restoration Act''. SEC. 2. VOYAGE DEEMED TO BE FOREIGN. (a) Definition of Covered Cruise Ship.--

(1) In general.--In this section, the term ``covered cruise ship'' means a vessel included on the list under paragraph (2) that --

(2) that-- (A) has been issued, operates in accordance with, and retains a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; and (B) operates in accordance with any restrictions or guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention associated with such Certificate, including any such restrictions or guidance issued after the date of enactment of this Act. (2) List.--The vessels listed under this paragraph are the following:

Edited by Jeremiah1212

6 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

It’s hard to plop down over ten grand for a cruise until we know if Florida will get its way. I have other comments but will keep those to myself.😊 I noticed that the cruise that we placed on hold showed yesterday morning the ports of San Juan, St. Maarten, Tortola BVI and DR. Last night they were changed to St. Maarten, Tortola BVI and Nassau. 

I believe Tortolla is only opening up to vaccinated passengers from cruise ships.  

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

This Act may be cited as the ``Alaska Tourism Restoration Act''. SEC. 2. VOYAGE DEEMED TO BE FOREIGN. (a) Definition of Covered Cruise Ship.--

(1) In general.--In this section, the term ``covered cruise ship'' means a vessel included on the list under paragraph (2) that --

(2) that-- (A) has been issued, operates in accordance with, and retains a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; and (B) operates in accordance with any restrictions or guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention associated with such Certificate, including any such restrictions or guidance issued after the date of enactment of this Act. (2) List.--The vessels listed under this paragraph are the following:

Maybe they can modify the law for Alaska - who knows.  The whole intent was to get Alaska tourism going with the economic gains needed.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe they can modify the law for Alaska - who knows.  The whole intent was to get Alaska tourism going with the economic gains needed.

Better still, leave the federal law as is and change the state law! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

Better still, leave the federal law as is and change the state law! 

Especially with the pace at the federal level...it would effectively cancel the Alaska season entirely with how long it would take to get from the House, to Senate, to President again. 

34 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Ahhh.... a Conditional Sailing Certificate (whatever that means).  I would think that it doesn't necessarily have to come under the guise of the existing Conditional Sailing Order.

7 minutes ago, D C said:

Ahhh.... a Conditional Sailing Certificate (whatever that means).  I would think that it doesn't necessarily have to come under the guise of the existing Conditional Sailing Order.

Yes that might be a key difference.  Thanks for pointing that out.

9 minutes ago, D C said:

That would be a massive stretch. It's very clear. A COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate from the CDC. 

12 minutes ago, D C said:

Isn't the CSC the certificate the CDC issues associated with Phase 3 of the CSO?

• Like 1

The communities in Alaska and the islands in the Caribbean cannot handle a Covid outbreak as well as the mainland US. I don't blame them for not wanting the risk, even at the economic expense. They're really between a rock and a hard place. I hope the judge upholds the CDC authority so that these places don't have to make tough decisions. Even a 95% vaccinated cruise isn't a complete guarantee of safety, but it's certainly better than relying on testing alone.

11 minutes ago, angelsil said:

The communities in Alaska and the islands in the Caribbean cannot handle a Covid outbreak as well as the mainland US. I don't blame them for not wanting the risk, even at the economic expense. They're really between a rock and a hard place. I hope the judge upholds the CDC authority so that these places don't have to make tough decisions. Even a 95% vaccinated cruise isn't a complete guarantee of safety, but it's certainly better than relying on testing alone.

Really?  The mainland US was the worst place in the entire world by number of total cases and deaths.  Now followed by India.  It seems like these places like Alaska are making their own decisions.  The senators and congressmen from Alaska introduced the bill and it passed House and Senate and was signed by the President in May.

6 minutes ago, angelsil said:

While there may be some tough decisions ahead for some of the Caribbean islands, those decisions are history in Alaska. 

50 minutes ago, D C said:

Except the conditional sailing certificate is defined in the Conditional Sailing Order.

17 minutes ago, nocl said:

Except the conditional sailing certificate is defined in the Conditional Sailing Order.

Yes,  but now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of CC readers to cease and desist the drill-down into the same subject matter,   just for healthy reading sake.

Maybe cc posters should consolidate similar blogs and generate a consensus "friend of the court brief" that could be taken seriously and sent to the judge via CLIA.    

Otherwise known as an "amicus curiae maximus" 

Isn't that much more effective than regurgitating the same meal over and over?

Just brainstorming here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1