Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

I know I should be just extremely thankful that I am getting the opportunity to have some sort of vacation this summer (and we haven't been bumped off the cruise like so many other people on P&O / RCI) but Celebrity are not making it easy or stress free. 

I have read all the info on the Celebrity 'free' PCT tests (thanks to those that have shared from the 3rd July sailing) but I have also read some really negative reviews about this company Celebrity have decided to use. As we are travelling from Lancashire to spend 2 nights in Southampton pre-cruise we would like to get a test done locally on the Wednesday afternoon (we sail Saturday) - there is somewhere near us that will give you results within 24 hours if its before 4pm. This sounds perfect BUT I have just been messaging Celebrity on Messenger to check if its 72 hours before sailing or boarding and they have confirmed it is SAILING. (they also did say 'Just keep in mind that these protocols are subject to change' - how helpful!!!

As we don't depart till 6pm then my 4pm test will be invalid (our check in on board is 12-12.30 slot). There isn't anywhere local to us that stays open past 6pm to get a later test.

I suppose we could have it done local on the Thursday morning but we were hoping to make an early start.

We could always look to get a test on the Thursday en-route or in Southampton, but again, with such a long drive we are not sure when or where we will be.

Why oh why do they have to make it sooooooo difficult 😩I totally get that in these uncertain times things have to be reactive but surely there are some things they can be clear on and control ie testing protocols. Just really frustrated with them and their unclear messaging requirements of what is needed to sail.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

I know I should be just extremely thankful that I am getting the opportunity to have some sort of vacation this summer (and we haven't been bumped off the cruise like so many other people on P&O / RCI) but Celebrity are not making it easy or stress free. 

I have read all the info on the Celebrity 'free' PCT tests (thanks to those that have shared from the 3rd July sailing) but I have also read some really negative reviews about this company Celebrity have decided to use. As we are travelling from Lancashire to spend 2 nights in Southampton pre-cruise we would like to get a test done locally on the Wednesday afternoon (we sail Saturday) - there is somewhere near us that will give you results within 24 hours if its before 4pm. This sounds perfect BUT I have just been messaging Celebrity on Messenger to check if its 72 hours before sailing or boarding and they have confirmed it is SAILING. (they also did say 'Just keep in mind that these protocols are subject to change' - how helpful!!!

Very frustrating for you.

Why can’t Celebrity do as Princess plan to - 30 minute antigen tests when you arrive at the terminal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I did it in a desk top and it came up just below the card details as a tick box option. If I remember correctly you have to click to opt in to them doing it which we did not, we are leaving it to our bank instead.

Perhaps others can’t confirm if that is indeed the case.

No sign of it when I checked in, but if the default is to accept the charge in dollars then that’s fine.

30 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

As we don't depart till 6pm then my 4pm test will be invalid (our check in on board is 12-12.30 slot). There isn't anywhere local to us that stays open past 6pm to get a later test.

I suppose we could have it done local on the Thursday morning but we were hoping to make an early start.

We could always look to get a test on the Thursday en-route or in Southampton, but again, with such a long drive we are not sure when or where we will be.

Why oh why do they have to make it sooooooo difficult 😩I totally get that in these uncertain times things have to be reactive but surely there are some things they can be clear on and control ie testing protocols. Just really frustrated with them and their unclear messaging requirements of what is needed to sail.

I know I’m frustrated too. We want it as early as possible to make sure the results get back in time but worried that we won’t find anywhere after 6 pm (sailing time) . It doesn’t help that the celebrity website and email are conflicting 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

I am getting really annoyed with all this nonsense re testing. It is taking the shine off the holiday for me and I am fed up with the mixed messages from Celebrity, see below two different answers from 2 parts of their web site. They make a material difference to the timing allowed for testing -sailing v boarding time

“Testing + Health Screening Policy

Vaccinated guests will also require proof of a negative PCR test taken 24 to 72 hours before the time of sailing. Guests aged 3-17 years will need to take an antigen test, at the terminal prior to embarkation. The PCR and antigen tests required will be at the expense of Celebrity Cruises. PCR testing instructions will be provided via email in advance of sailing. Any additional testing or protocols will be confirmed nearer to the point of sailing in line with the most up to date recommendations of the UK government and our Healthy Sail Panel. Children aged 2 years and younger are not required to do the antigen test.” 

“Vaccinated:

All guests ages 18 and up are required to show a negative RT-PCR test result taken 72 hours prior to boarding.”

I also don’t understand why fully vaccinated adults are being made to take a PRC test yet unvaccinated children can just be tested at the port.

Everyone is getting so wound up about trying to find a test and timings that they are missing the bigger picture. Celebrity is imposing this misery on us as their paying guests and they don’t have to - other lines are not so it is not likely to be a CDC or U.K. gov requirement.

At least one customer is asking on a very public forum about cancellation as they can’t meet the requirements in the timescale. I doubt they will be the last to do so if Celebrity don’t get their act together and quickly.

You are certainly not alone in being frustrated.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I am getting really annoyed with all this nonsense re testing. It is taking the shine off the holiday for me and I am fed up with the mixed messages from Celebrity, see below two different answers from 2 parts of their web site. They make a material difference to the timing allowed for testing -sailing v boarding time

Vaccinated guests will also require proof of a negative PCR test taken 24 to 72 hours before the time of sailing. Guests aged 3-17 years will need to take an antigen test, at the terminal prior to embarkation. The PCR and antigen tests required will be at the expense of Celebrity Cruises. PCR testing instructions will be provided via email in advance of sailing. Any additional testing or protocols will be confirmed nearer to the point of sailing in line with the most up to date recommendations of the UK government and our Healthy Sail Panel. Children aged 2 years and younger are not required to do the antigen test.” 

“Vaccinated:

All guests ages 18 and up are required to show a negative RT-PCR test result taken 72 hours prior to boarding.”

I also don’t understand why fully vaccinated adults are being made to take a PRC test yet unvaccinated children can just be tested at the port.

Everyone is getting so wound up about trying to find a test and timings that they are missing the bigger picture. Celebrity is imposing this misery on us as their paying guests and they don’t have to - other lines are not so it is not likely to be a CDC or U.K. gov requirement.

At least one customer is asking on a very public forum about cancellation as they can’t meet the requirements in the timescale. I doubt they will be the last to do so if Celebrity don’t get their act together and quickly.

I would agree with this frustration. 

I’m looking forward to the holiday, however the changes to requirements and expectation for over 18s who are fully vaccinated to have PCR test while those under 18 only require an antigen test doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

“Vaccinated:

I agree with all of the above- it really is taking the enjoyment of looking forward to the holiday. If you could understand the reasoning behind it then it would be easier to stomach.

• Like 2

If you are having difficulties saving appointments for your PCR test, download the TrustOne app, sign in with your registered username and password. This allows you to book the venue, date & time.

I have booked on the 1st July for the 3rd July sailing at a local travel agent.

Let's hope we all have a great cruise with good weather.

4 minutes ago, CocoCronut said:

Not all boots stores offer this service unfortunately.

So I see, we are not sailing until the 17th July and only about 5 slots available on the Wednesday at our one. Have booked to be on the safe side. As someone has said, you are not charged until you take the test.

Edited by downsmead

Makes sense to book a boots one to fall back on as insurance just in case - Im hoping by the time it gets near ours inm August they can at least sort out what they atually want instead of  giving conflicting answers on there own websites

Edited by ighten

What type of test do I request of the medical services provider? An rt-PCR test for COVID-19.

I think it is worth noting that in their letter Celebrity are asking for a  RT-PCR test not a straight PCR test. This appears to be available at private clinics at £150 plus. I think that for example the Boots test needs checking to see if it meets this standard.

21 minutes ago, hampshirelad said:

What type of test do I request of the medical services provider? An rt-PCR test for COVID-19.

I think it is worth noting that in their letter Celebrity are asking for a  RT-PCR test not a straight PCR test. This appears to be available at private clinics at £150 plus. I think that for example the Boots test needs checking to see if it meets this standard.

On the 9th July roll call a poster says that they contacted the Boots COVID helpline and they stated that the boots test was a RT-PCR test. Other holiday companies seem to simply ask for a PCR test, not sure why Celebrity seem to be making things unnecessarily complicated?

Have Celebrity confirmed what happens if you use their preferred testing service and the results come back either late or inconclusive? In either case you’d have done everything they recommended but would have neither a negative result required to sail, nor a positive that would qualify you for a full refund. I am nervous that you’d not be allowed to sail and get no refund!

3 minutes ago, vino123 said:

Not sure if this attachment works but basically at the end of the info it says if you dont receive the results of your own PCR test in time its up to you to contact the service provider as they cant due to information security.

Makes me nervous about using another provider other than theirs.

celebrity testing letter.pdf 129.89 kB · 2 downloads

Using their provider is fine if they have a testing centre anywhere near where you live.

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

Boots offer a PCR test £85, our local one is open until 7pm Monday to Friday. 

I've booked my parents a Boots PCR test for their upcoming cruise and I went into Boots today to see if it's the same as the rt-PCR test which Celebrity ask for and the pharmacist said it's different and it's a test which isn't offered in many places.  He found it strange they were asking for that as he said not any holiday companies are which he was aware of.  I am therefore waiting for Celebrity to confirm in an email if a Boots PCR test is acceptable.

3 minutes ago, Indy_Girl46 said:

I've booked my parents a Boots PCR test for their upcoming cruise and I went into Boots today to see if it's the same as the rt-PCR test which Celebrity ask for and the pharmacist said it's different and it's a test which isn't offered in many places.  He found it strange they were asking for that as he said not any holiday companies are which he was aware of.  I am therefore waiting for Celebrity to confirm in an email if a Boots PCR test is acceptable.

Thank you for that information - conflicting advice. Please post when your hear back from Celebrity, many thanks.

Out of interest is there a list of testing centres for the company celebrity are using? 
I’d prefer to use Boots but not yet sure which companies tests are acceptable. Boots doing the tests are still 15 miles away by train from me. Good job I’m off work before my cruise! 

The trouble with the Boots service for me is that they say the results are back 'typically within 48 hours'. There's no guarantee it will be within that time frame and the 'typically' makes me feel it's often later. There's no time guarantee at all with the service that I can see.

To get a test done up to 72 hours before the 6pm sail time on the Saturday we leave that's 6pm Wednesday at the earliest - but the Boots anywhere near us are closed by 6pm, so that means a test Thursday morning is the earliest we could do. 48 hours from then is when we'd be travelling to Southampton!

The last thing I want is the stress of not knowing if I'll have my test result in time while travelling to the port - or trying to ring them from the car to chase it up.

I think I'd rather either use Celebrity's chosen partner where there's some leverage to complain to Celebrity if things go pear shaped, or use a service that guarantees results within 48 or 24 hours for some peace of mind, even if that's more than Celebrity would cover.

This really does seem like a massively stressful start to the whole holiday 😞

• Like 1

I'm concerned now about how strict they will be to the 72 hours.  Are we all supposed to wait till after 6pm for the test?  I'm booked for 2.20pm and there was a whole list of earlier times available when I booked that with the chosen provider.  Are they going to quibble about a couple of hours when originally they said boarding time? 

Thank heavens for always included drink package, I'm going to need it when I finally get on board!

I have been lurking on this site because I have family in Scotland

We went to Hawaii from California last month and had to go through the same test problems that you are having. We ended up paying $500. for my husband and I to be tested in our home. A traveling nurse took our test and brought it to the lab. We both came back negative . The lab had a problem and we didn`t get results back until the night before we left. What a pain. 

Sorry to go off track and hope you all make your cruise. Cheers, Heather

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1