Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

I rang our TA and was told I’d already claimed a Captain’s Club discount, as we are in a 2A cabin, but only paid for 2B.

She also claimed the refusal by Greenock to allow the MSC ship to dock would have been appropriate to MSC only.

I don’t believe either explanation.

10 hours ago, uktog said:

Add to that the possibility of Scotland saying no to all cruise ships until all of Scotland hits Level 1 - suspect we are a long way away from that - these summer sailing are beginning to look like cruises to nowhere

I see that MSC Virtuoso is heading back to Southampton from Liverpool, Belfast visit didn't happen either 

Hello,

Yesterday I tasked my TA with getting the 10% Captains' Club discount.

I won't give you all the hour long exchange but the reduction in price on one will be a reduction on the amount payable by me and the other will be in the form of OBC.

All as per the T&Cs - so far so good. But the amount of OBC (in $) will be at a 1:1 exchange rate from £ so what would have been £100 equalling (approx) $140, all I will get is $100. OK, not a great difference for solo use of a concierge cabin, but the difference to a family in a suite would be considerable.

What's the experience of other users out there?

Regards,

Cublet

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I rang our TA and was told I’d already claimed a Captain’s Club discount, as we are in a 2A cabin, but only paid for 2B.

She also claimed the refusal by Greenock to allow the MSC ship to dock would have been appropriate to MSC only.

I don’t believe either explanation.

Cruise lines review Scottish sailings amid cruise ban | Travel Weekly

38 minutes ago, sfitz2000 said:

Sorry another few questions:

Cant get off ship unless on Celebrity excursion?

Masks worn outside?

My understanding is that you cannot get off unless your are on a Celebrity excursion and that masks do not have to be worn when outside or when seated indoors for food or drink .

I’m already booked on one sailing only seacation, so heyho what’s another 6 days and nights at sea. I splurged on a suite for this one (first time) so will have ample time to make the most of it. Now if only the weather will oblige 🤞.

I believe we really won't know what the restrictions will be until each actual sailing. Things could be relaxed or tightened along with Government guidelines as well as Celebrity's own rules. They will learn as they go along.

If we get out of Step 3 it will make some difference, as that also has restrictions about mixing on board, even if on the same booking. It will be much more relaxed if we make it to Step 4.

This is the part of the Government guidelines referring to Cruise travel

Coronavirus (COVID-19): domestic cruise ship travel - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 

As for the need to take Celebrity Shore excursions, they need to add a few more for Greenock as there's not much choice there - assuming Scotland will allow us in!!

As laslomas says, I don't think we'll know what the restrictions will be until we sail. The latest information is on the website (updated 9th June i.e yesterday)

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/uk-travel-requirements

Currently, getting off in port on our own will be allowed IF local regulations allow.

Facemasks to be worn inside but NOT outside or if eating/drinking

• Like 1

We got travel agent to ask Celebrity to reprice based on the parking offer and the current price on their website (which I presume included 10% CC discounts). Not sure exactly how they worked it out but we were happy with $950 OBC as we have paid final payment (for 5 passengers across two Concierge Class rooms). TA did say initially they said no but offered this after he pushed.

Interesting to see that Royal Caribbean's website has much more detailed information regarding sailing on Anthem out of Southampton...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/healthy-sail-center/before-you-board-your-cruise?country=GBR&fbclid=IwAR1SdIyJl1r5aknsbGpDnKk5OONP3xqVpwq_mYVfSecCFInXFmDkQcwQD0Y

Also states you will get info on PCR tests 14-18 days prior to sailing.

image.thumb.png.f1f03e4fec116f265ac3f5636c0da7e3.png

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

As for the need to take Celebrity Shore excursions, they need to add a few more for Greenock as there's not much choice there - assuming Scotland will allow us in!!

And the one I fancy is fully booked.😱

The available one is strenuous which is not suitable.

Edited by upwarduk

2 hours ago, EdinburghTim said:

As laslomas says, I don't think we'll know what the restrictions will be until we sail. The latest information is on the website (updated 9th June i.e yesterday)

Currently, getting off in port on our own will be allowed IF local regulations allow.

That is such good news about being able to disembark at ports.

Thanks for the link, it is so easy to miss changes and updates if you don't look at the Celebrity website every day.

22 minutes ago, laslomas said:

That is such good news about being able to disembark at ports.

Thanks for the link, it is so easy to miss changes and updates if you don't look at the Celebrity website every day.

I can’t see this when I go onto the website 🤦‍♀️, it’s just as well cc members are so good at keeping everyone informed of updates 🤷‍♀️
I only see US and Athens June 9th details!

Edited by downsmead

3 hours ago, EdinburghTim said:

Thanks for the updated info. Well let’s hope that Scotland has relaxes restrictions and we can leave the ship. I was thinking about taking train to airport and pick up a hire car for day. Quick smooch around the loch. I’m not into organised excursions. Or maybe a stroll around Glasgow would be nice, have never been. Very glad don’t have to wear masks outside though!

10 minutes ago, sfitz2000 said:

Thanks for the updated info. Well let’s hope that Scotland has relaxes restrictions and we can leave the ship. I was thinking about taking train to airport and pick up a hire car for day. Quick smooch around the loch. I’m not into organised excursions. Or maybe a stroll around Glasgow would be nice, have never been. Very glad don’t have to wear masks outside though!

JMO - no chance of relaxation unless all of Scotland is at level 1 - just a guess September but don't ask me which year.

Annie

9 hours ago, cublet said:

But the amount of OBC (in $) will be at a 1:1 exchange rate from £ so what would have been £100 equalling (approx) $140, all I will get is $100. OK, not a great difference for solo use of a concierge cabin, but the difference to a family in a suite would be considerable.

@cublet This was not my experience. The amount was quoted in £ and then converted to $ at the current business exchange rate (ish). Once added to my account it then converted back to £ at the same exchange rate I'd locked in when spending my original OBC online. As we won't be spending it prior to the cruise I expect it to switch back to the original $ amount that was quoted on the new invoice. I booked directly with Celebrity this time, not through a TA.

6 hours ago, sfitz2000 said:

I would check that as when I lived up there, there was only the availability of a bus or a taxi from Inverness to the airport. You’d also need to get from Invergordon to Inverness first as well which you could probably do by train. 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:16 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

Yesterday I tasked my TA with getting the 10% Captains' Club discount.

I won't give you all the hour long exchange but the reduction in price on one will be a reduction on the amount payable by me and the other will be in the form of OBC.

All as per the T&Cs - so far so good. But the amount of OBC (in $) will be at a 1:1 exchange rate from £ so what would have been £100 equalling (approx) $140, all I will get is $100. OK, not a great difference for solo use of a concierge cabin, but the difference to a family in a suite would be considerable.

What's the experience of other users out there?

Regards,

Cublet

I only received £20 back but my TA gave me $30 OBC so not too bad I thought. I would go back and ask for my $40. Everyone can use some extra cash on a cruise. 

On 6/10/2021 at 11:51 AM, 38anchor said:

Interesting to see that Royal Caribbean's website has much more detailed information regarding sailing on Anthem out of Southampton...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/healthy-sail-center/before-you-board-your-cruise?country=GBR&fbclid=IwAR1SdIyJl1r5aknsbGpDnKk5OONP3xqVpwq_mYVfSecCFInXFmDkQcwQD0Y

Also states you will get info on PCR tests 14-18 days prior to sailing.

image.thumb.png.f1f03e4fec116f265ac3f5636c0da7e3.png

Sorry am I reading this correctly. My husband and I are fully vaccinated but need to have a PCR test but my 15 year old daughter who hasn't been vaccinated just needs a rapid antigen test at the terminal. Surely it would be better the other way around?

45 minutes ago, American_in_York said:

Sorry am I reading this correctly. My husband and I are fully vaccinated but need to have a PCR test but my 15 year old daughter who hasn't been vaccinated just needs a rapid antigen test at the terminal. Surely it would be better the other way around?

Yes, I don’t understand the logic either, particularly as the spread of the Delta variant seems to be predominantly among younger people. If PCR tests are required for vaccinated adults then they should be required for the under 18s as well.