Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

We’ve done the Around the UK twice and it is fantastic. A great mix of ports. One time, the Infinity spent overnight in Dublin and we went on a local ‘Literary Pub Tour’ where they took us to the various pubs Irish writers hung out in and actors would step out and either be the poet/novelist or would read some of their works. Great time! 

So much to do in each port and we are very jealous!

Den

3 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

We're booked with my son and his family for the 17 July sailing. He had his first vaccination just over 2 weeks ago and can't get a booking for earlier than 30 July, so we're panicking a bit now. If he can't manage to get his second jab before 17 July will Celebrity stop him boarding?

As the second shot has to be a minimum of two weeks before your sailing, your latest target date should be July 3. Looks like you're out of luck if you can't get him a booking by then.

Edited by Fouremco

8 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

We're booked with my son and his family for the 17 July sailing. He had his first vaccination just over 2 weeks ago and can't get a booking for earlier than 30 July, so we're panicking a bit now. If he can't manage to get his second jab before 17 July will Celebrity stop him boarding?

I’m surprised your son even considered booking. The minimum time between jabs in UK is now 8. weeks ( it was 12 when we had our first in early January). Remember the 2nd jab needs to be at least 2 weeks before boarding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Denny01 said:

We’ve done the Around the UK twice and it is fantastic. A great mix of ports. One time, the Infinity spent overnight in Dublin and we went on a local ‘Literary Pub Tour’ where they took us to the various pubs Irish writers hung out in and actors would step out and either be the poet/novelist or would read some of their works. Great time! 

So much to do in each port and we are very jealous!

Den

Dublin not on the itinerary as it's closed to cruise ships. Belfast may be questionable in July as trouble is brewing over the protocol.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, talljules1 said:

We're keeping fingers crossed.

After feeling quite doubtful about these, we reminded ourselves that on our last cruise pre-pandemic we didn't get off the ship and we had a lovely relaxing cruise - and that's our plan this time. OH has his 2nd vaccine dose in less than 2 weeks, and so we've booked for 17th July.  If it doesn't happen, hopefully we can use the funds towards our 2022 cruises. 

We wanted a sky suite but there were only 4 Royal Suites left on that sailing when we booked yesterday - so Royal Suite it is! (WHOOP!)

One thing I'm not sure on is how the free carparking from Celebrity at Southampton works. (I mean - I know where the carparks are, I'm not sure if there is something I need to do to claim the car parking. Still if I don't figure it out I can get in touch with our TA)

Pre covid we were sent a pass with our documents.

Show it

to access car park and leave on dash

from memory it is a piece of paper A4 with sail date on it

• Like 1

We are booked on the 3rd July cruise also with fingers crossed the ship will sail.  We have been told by our agent we should have a list of the requirements for sailing 30 days beforehand, so this week.    My second jab today and we are ready to go!  (Well apart from any PCR or other test required).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pennys mum said:

Pre covid we were sent a pass with our documents.

Show it

to access car park and leave on dash

from memory it is a piece of paper A4 with sail date on it

Yes - that's what we've had happen before as well.  And it is the same this time - our A4 paper with the pass is on my printer. 😀

3 hours ago, photabitha said:

We are booked on the 3rd July cruise also with fingers crossed the ship will sail.  We have been told by our agent we should have a list of the requirements for sailing 30 days beforehand, so this week.    My second jab today and we are ready to go!  (Well apart from any PCR or other test required).

I have been wondering when more details would be forthcoming. Possibly the Online check in will open up this week. I will not feel I am going anywhere until I have checked in! With other cruise lines being more lenient, and if things go well, maybe the requirement of a PCR test could be dropped before 3rd July.

Happy sailing to all of you across the pond.  We want to do a British Isles sailing in next couple of years along with a nice land based segment.  I traveled to England many times as part of a company I set up in the late 80's and love each trip.  Did not get to Wales, Scotland, Northean Ireland  or Ireland and now retired want to come back and travel the isles.  

Over here, cruises are promoting staying close to home too, for us the Caribbean and that will be our first sailing back.

1 hour ago, smoothcruiser said:

The requirement to have the PCR test before departure seems to have disappeared unless I am missing the obvious!

Unfortunately it is still there. I received an email but it was quite generic. Still have to look at their health at sea link and then select departure port. In this case, Southampton- last updated 24th May with PCR required.

It was all decided and booked really quickly without pausing to stop and consider the ins and outs, I didn't even know which ports we were stopping at! We're paying less than a £1000 for both of us (husband and I) in a Concierge cabin, all inclusive with free parking and although it's not a ship or itinerary to get excited about, it's too good a deal to miss up or think twice about. My son and his partner have 3 young children and also have the same great deal and didn't think to check the vaccine requirements. But we know a few people in the medical world who have sometimes put out messages when their centres have spare vaccines at the end of a day so he may try for a vaccine that way, or we may possibly look to see if we can shift the cruise date back a couple of weeks, although I doubt we'll get the deal we got for our current cruise.

2 hours ago, tmacktravels said:

Unfortunately it is still there. I received an email but it was quite generic. Still have to look at their health at sea link and then select departure port. In this case, Southampton- last updated 24th May with PCR required.

While the requirements may change (we don’t travel until 14th August), it actually makes sense for all of us on board to know that everyone is free of COVID. Even though we’ll all be fully vaccinated it is still possible to catch the virus, so I think the test requirement will be with us for some time yet.

Paul

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

While the requirements may change (we don’t travel until 14th August), it actually makes sense for all of us on board to know that everyone is free of COVID. Even though we’ll all be fully vaccinated it is still possible to catch the virus, so I think the test requirement will be with us for some time yet.

Paul

However a PCR test 72 hours in advance is a complete and utter waste of time as people could become infected on the journey to the port. A test at embarkation makes more sense surely?

24 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

However a PCR test 72 hours in advance is a complete and utter waste of time as people could become infected on the journey to the port. A test at embarkation makes more sense surely?

Of course you’re right, but those are the current rules. If we could do a lateral flow test instead we’d have the results in 30 minutes. As more people pass through Southampton perhaps the rules will have to change.

After receiving and email from Celebrity yesterday pointing me to this page it would appear they have dropped the need for a PCR test 72 hours before although following a link on this page leads you to here which says a test is required. Confused? I am.

Edited by MX-Drew

20 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

After receiving and email from Celebrity yesterday pointing me to this page it would appear they have dropped the need for a PCR test 72 hours before although following a link on this page leads you to here which says a test is required. Confused? I am.

I agree there is much confusion. I think I will wait until a week before my departure to check what is actually in place at that time, and fingers crossed the dual vaccination will suffice.

The link you received from Celebrity is a generic link for all cruisers, and the further link is what is important by homeport. I think they are trying - but as we agree - confusing. 😕

4 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I agree there is much confusion. I think I will wait until a week before my departure to check what is actually in place at that time, and fingers crossed the dual vaccination will suffice.

The link you received from Celebrity is a generic link for all cruisers, and the further link is what is important by homeport. I think they are trying - but as we agree - confusing. 😕

I have until the end of August so there is time for things to change. I just wonder why Celebrity feel they need to request a PCR test when P&O, Princess and Cunard don't need one and we will all be vaccinated.

I was ready to place a booking for the 17th July sailing. Ive already got Seacation bookings on Princess, MSC and Virgin Voyages, all of which do not require a PCR test, but will rapid test on arrival before boarding.

The extra £149pp cost of a PCR rules me out. Such a shame they dont allow the free NHS tests as proof.

Edit..... just seen the above stating the PCR test has been dropped. Maybe will book after all!

Unsure about the options available - premium upgrades and upcharge restaurants on Silhouette. Any links to read whats what in this respect and what is excluded?

Edited by les37b

1 hour ago, les37b said:

I was ready to place a booking for the 17th July sailing. Ive already got Seacation bookings on Princess, MSC and Virgin Voyages, all of which do not require a PCR test, but will rapid test on arrival before boarding.

The extra £149pp cost of a PCR rules me out. Such a shame they dont allow the free NHS tests as proof.

Edit..... just seen the above stating the PCR test has been dropped. Maybe will book after all!

Unsure about the options available - premium upgrades and upcharge restaurants on Silhouette. Any links to read whats what in this respect and what is excluded?

I don’t think it is at all clear what Celebrity’s policy on PCR test actually is. Hopefully they will provide definitive details soon. However, other cruisers have been advised that if PCR tests in advance are required, Celebrity will pay for them via Boots.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

As above it is not clear on the testing policy. I have to say it is putting the idea of paying £200 - £300 just for a couple of tests that frankly are pointless is making me think twice and as I only have £41 tied up in this due to cockups on Celebrity's part over the payment I'm thinking I will give them a few weeks to clear it up and if they still require a PCR test them I will cancel (never to return to Celebrity) and book with Cunard.

This is not the only problem I have had, there is also and issue about having a sale on excursions but due to an error on the website I could not book them. When that error is fixed the sale ends!

I rang Celebrity and their response was basically telling me "tough"!

16 hours ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

Of course you’re right, but those are the current rules. If we could do a lateral flow test instead we’d have the results in 30 minutes. As more people pass through Southampton perhaps the rules will have to change.

They were not the rules when many people booked, they changed very recently. Let’s hope they change back.

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

They were not the rules when many people booked, they changed very recently. Let’s hope they change back.

Agreed. If, as has been reported, Princess and others are doing lateral flow tests on arrival, Celebrity will do the same (at no extra cost to the traveller, à la Princess).