Seeking Alaska cruise recommendations.

AMCJavelin

3 minutes ago, marieps said:

IBTW, the helicopter/dog sled excursion is fine, but the dog sledding is really just a lap around the compound.  

BTW - helicopter tour had 250 lb max weight limit pp pre-Covid - and very few of us are lighter post-Covid. 😏  Just sayin'

TIP - book afternoon heli-tours - cloud ceiling often low in morning, improves later. GOOD LUCK

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Silversea just opened Alaska sailings from Seattle in 2021.

Hi,🙂 itineraries and bookings will be opening on June 7th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greydog said:

Can't find 2021 AK Silversea itineraries, even on their own website.   Where did you find?  Thx

They are releasing itineraries on June 7th. 

On 6/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, AMCJavelin said:

Hmmm - interesting I didnt see anything like that when I looked at Celebrity  - any ideas which line offer that type of iternary?   This will be a 1 time trip.

We did this a few years ago going north from Vancouver up the inside passage and ending in Seward.  From there we had a tour company and pick us up for a full day tour of the Kenai Pennensula that ended at our hotel in Anchorage.  Lots to see along the way and we found it nicer than sitting on a bus or train for 3 to 5 hours.  Once we were in Anchorage we rented a car and did our own trip out to Denali, stopping when we wanted, where we wanted.  We did book at the Denali area Princess Lodges because they are pretty nice and some places looked a bit more "rustic".  After our Denali days we went back to Anchorage, looked around the town and flew home.  We really enjoyed doing it on our own.  We enjoyed the trip so much that had plans for 2020 to take whole family back to celebrate our 50th but we all know what happened in 2020 so maybe 2022.....we hope.

When cruising Alaska, IMHO the more ports the better - and this usually means a trip between Seward and Vancouver.  If Alaska is a one time trip, definitely add a few days before or after to go to Denali.  You can do a ship's tour, but we have saved considerable $$'s by booking our own.  As to time of year, our personal preference, after sailing many times, is one of the earliest cruises, or one of the latest.  Of these, our favorite is the September cruises.  Fewer crowds, definitely fewer children (not anti-kids, but we cruise to relax).  We absolutely love, love, love Alaska!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AMCJavelin said:

Thank you all for you help and input  - We are digging in and doing more research - Denali looks like a must see.  Thanks again!

If you have an evening to spare in Denali then consider Cabin Nite dinner and show. As a foreigner my wife and I had a blast. One of the best times we've had.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g143022-d537963-Reviews-Alaska_Cabin_Nite_Dinner_Theater-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

If you have an evening to spare in Denali then consider Cabin Nite dinner and show. As a foreigner my wife and I had a blast. One of the best times we've had.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g143022-d537963-Reviews-Alaska_Cabin_Nite_Dinner_Theater-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html

I’ve not yet done an Alaskan cruise but plan to do so in 2023.  So ALL of this information is so very helpful.  I’m going to book it this weekend but now I have so much information to do some fun research.  Thx!!!

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’ve not yet done an Alaskan cruise but plan to do so in 2023.  So ALL of this information is so very helpful.  

Weather in AK highly variable.  Because rain is common (Ketchikan brags about its high level) I would avoid Sunset View cabins (at least on S-class) because of short overhang cover.  Recommend balconies with greatest rain shielding, like extended overhang immediately under pool deck (but introduces overhead grill/pool activity noise).  Win some, lose some.

• Thanks 1

Denali National park is amazing and as it covers about 6 million acres, worth more than a few hours. Basically the longer you can spend in Alaska and the more of the interior you can see the better. We have our first cruise there booked for next July but DH lived in interior Alaska for most of his adult life.

1 minute ago, Catchum said:

Denali National park is amazing and as it covers about 6 million acres, worth more than a few hours. Basically the longer you can spend in Alaska and the more of the interior you can see the better. We have our first cruise there booked for next July but DH lived in interior Alaska for most of his adult life.

Thank you.  Plan is to spend a week in Alaska either pre or post cruise.

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

They are releasing itineraries on June 7th. 

I heard from a booking agent at Silversea today by phone.  Three Alaska cruises planned on Silver Muse roundtrip from Seattle.  July 29 (10 day), Aug 8 (11 day) and Aug 19 (10 day).  Not open yet for booking.  Pretty expensive.  Fully vaccinated ship.

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I heard from a booking agent at Silversea today by phone.  Three Alaska cruises planned on Silver Muse roundtrip from Seattle.  July 29 (10 day), Aug 8 (11 day) and Aug 19 (10 day).  Not open yet for booking.  Pretty expensive.  Fully vaccinated ship.

Hi Rick, yes...on all counts.  They will be open for booking on Monday, June 7th. I spoke with them as well.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Rick, yes...on all counts.  They will be open for booking on Monday, June 7th. I spoke with them as well.

Thanks Lois.  We will likely book one of these next week when they open.  Pretty exciting!

21 hours ago, hasentreelake said:

The 5 glacier sea plane in Juneau was the highlight of our cruise. 

In 8 AK trips, our two highlight excursions (never did heli tours) were 1) from Skagway self-pace rental car all day leisure ramble to Carcross (ice cream), husky dog ranch, world's smallest desert, Emerald Lake (60 mi, need IDs crossing into CA, reserve Avis WELL IN ADVANCE)  Relatively inexpensive.  2) 26 Glaciers (count 'em) hi-speed modern catamaran cruise in Pr. William Sound out of Whittier ($159pp) 

GOOD LUCK

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks Lois.  We will likely book one of these next week when they open.  Pretty exciting!

Hi Rick😃 yes it is!   Hope you have a great cruise.......would you do me a favor and email me?

Have a question for you...........

lo1958 @ hotmail.com (leave out the spaces).

Thanks so much!

In ‘14 we took Solstice from Seattle on the Inside Passage to Ketchikan, Endicott Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria BC and back to Seattle. First week of June, it was cool (OK Cold since I live in FL) and rainy. But as a guide told us in Ketchikan “if you CAN’T see the mountain, it’s raining. If you CAN see the mountain it’s going to rain.” That’s AK weather. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 6:45 PM, phoenix_dream said:

When cruising Alaska, IMHO the more ports the better - and this usually means a trip between Seward and Vancouver.  If Alaska is a one time trip, definitely add a few days before or after to go to Denali.  You can do a ship's tour, but we have saved considerable $$'s by booking our own.  As to time of year, our personal preference, after sailing many times, is one of the earliest cruises, or one of the latest.  Of these, our favorite is the September cruises.  Fewer crowds, definitely fewer children (not anti-kids, but we cruise to relax).  We absolutely love, love, love Alaska!

We stayed around Denali for 3 days in the month of July.  We never saw a clear view of the mountain.  So we need to get back!

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Rick😃 yes it is!   Hope you have a great cruise.......would you do me a favor and email me?

Have a question for you...........

lo1958 @ hotmail.com (leave out the spaces).

Thanks so much!

OK will do.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:49 PM, hasentreelake said:

The 5 glacier sea plane in Juneau was the highlight of our cruise.
Of course everyone here has good advice, and we enjoyed the entire cruise, but the views from above were amazing!

I know I'm missing a lot but I am very nervous about small planes and helicopters.