Independence of the Seas replacing Liberty of the Seas in Galveston

We have a cruise booked on Liberty of the Seas sailing from Galveston on 8/15/2021.  I just received an email from RCI.  Just to make sure I read it right.  I don't have to do anything and we'll be automatically move to Independence of the Seas on sailing on the same date.  Not clear about the cabin,  will we stay on the same one?  I'll call RCI to clarify.  I just hope we'll be able to sail on  8/15 doesn't matter which ship.  🙂 

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’ve been diligently working to prepare for our Royal Comeback. It’s taken months of planning and coordinating to get up and running – from activating new homeports and communicating with local governments and authorities, to ensuring our new protocols maintain your wellbeing with our Healthy Sail Panel.

As we continue to review and analyze our itinerary plans, we’ve decided to reposition some of our ships in anticipation of our return to cruising. Our original plan for Liberty of the Seas was to begin offering sailings departing from Galveston beginning August 2021. However, Independence of the Seas will now take its place. Unfortunately, this means your sailing will be cancelled.

However, the good news is, Independence of the Seas will offer similar itineraries, so we’ll automatically move you to the corresponding Independence of the Seas sailing beginning June 8th, 2021 to help make the transition easier. This way, you’ll still have the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful destinations you were looking forward to!

We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation and apologize for any inconvenience caused by this change. While we’re confident you’ll have an amazing time onboard, your vacation is important to us – along with providing you the flexibility to make the best decision for you and those in your party. Below, we’ve outlined your options along with a few additional details.

Option 1: Stay onboard the Independence of the Seas cruise

• Beginning June 8th, 2021, we’ll automatically move you to the Independence of the Seas sailing departing on the same day as your original cruise. So, there’s nothing for you to do!
  • Your new sailing will offer similar destinations as your original cruise, and it’ll depart from the same destination.
  • Your original stateroom category price will either be protected at your original cruise fare rate or reduced to the current cruise fare rate (whichever is lower). This excludes taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items. 
    • If you were already paid in full and your cruise fare rate decreases, we’ll provide you with a refund for any difference in pricing. You can expect to receive your refund to your original form of payment 45 days after we move you. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on your financial institution.
  • Lastly, as we return to service, our sailing protocols will evolve. To stay informed and up-to-date, please visit RoyalCaribbean.com/Health.

Option 2: Select a 100% Refund

• If you no longer wish to sail, we’ll be sad to see you go. We’ll process a full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form(s) of payment, including any non-refundable deposit.
    • You can expect to receive your refund 45 days after you submit your refund request. 
  • If you booked your airfare through Royal Caribbean International, it will be automatically refunded to you. However, if you booked on your own, please contact the service provider directly for your options with them.
  • Lastly, if you used a Future Cruise Credit on this sailing, and you request a refund instead, we’ll refund any NEW funds paid above the certificate amount, and we’ll reinstate your original certificate.  

There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to shifting an entire season of sailings and rebooking all guests, so please bear with us as we work to make this process as easy as possible for you. All moves will be completed by June 18th, 2021, and we’ll send an updated reservation confirmation with your revised details to the email address on file as soon as your reservation has been completely updated with the pricing fully adjusted. If you prefer to cancel your cruise, please call us at 888-281-9344 or contact your Travel Advisor by June 18th, 2021. And know, hold times may be longer than usual. If we haven’t heard from you by June 18th, 2021, you’ll remain booked on the alternate Independence of the Seas sailing. Should you decide to cancel after our moves are complete, you will continue to be covered by our Cruise with Confidence policy.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at: 

Thank you for your understanding. We hope you find another cruise vacation with us. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or looking to explore, relax, and recharge – we have no doubt your time with us will be nothing short of amazing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard. 

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Got the same e-mail in relation to the 9/19 Liberty Cruise... the worst part is we booked back to back and we have NOT gotten an e-mail about the 9/26 Liberty Cruise and the 9/26 is still bookable online!  Which... cool, except the new 9/19 Independence cruise added an extra day (normally, awesome), but that means we'd get back into port the day AFTER our back-to-back on Liberty left!  We're calling now, but hold times are crazy pants right now.

• Haha 1

Just talked with RCI C&A,  the lady on the phone said we'll be moved automatically over to the Independence on the same sailing date with the same cabin category.  However,  RCI not sure we'll be in the same cabin number or location as we booked on Liberty.  She also told me that Independence replace Liberty only from August to Sept. 2021.  After Sept.  2021  Liberty will be back in Galveston. I asked the question will Independence permanently replace Liberty because we have another cruise booked on the Liberty for 3/2022 and that cruise is not cancel or I'm not getting any email about switching to Independence for that one.

Edited by StrikeEagle

14 minutes ago, Ducky22 said:

Got the same e-mail in relation to the 9/19 Liberty Cruise... the worst part is we booked back to back and we have NOT gotten an e-mail about the 9/26 Liberty Cruise and the 9/26 is still bookable online!  Which... cool, except the new 9/19 Independence cruise added an extra day (normally, awesome), but that means we'd get back into port the day AFTER our back-to-back on Liberty left!  We're calling now, but hold times are crazy pants right now.

The C&A lady on the phone said the Liberty of the Seas will be back after Sept. 2021.   I hope you don't have to disembark from Independence and embark on Liberty for your B2B cruise.   Good luck.

Edited by StrikeEagle

28 minutes ago, StrikeEagle said:

The C&A lady on the phone said the Liberty of the Seas will be back after Sept. 2021.   I hope you don't have to disembark from Independence and embark on Liberty for your B2B cruise.   Good luck.

Yea you beat me to it. I think sept 16 is the change back to liberty. ..so doesnt affect my liberty sailings. Title is confusing as it's just for a few sailings, not a permanent swap out. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yea you beat me to it. I think sept 16 is the change back to liberty. ..so doesnt affect my liberty sailings. Title is confusing as it's just for a few sailings, not a permanent swap out. 

Not according to this:

image.thumb.png.10ccefb4ba051e8884df5987cbbdaabf.png

7 minutes ago, dominicr said:

That kinda stinks.  I want independence there and not liberty for October.  I want coke freestyle machines and a playmakers. 

With Liberty coming out of dry dock , no telling what changes will be done on Liberty . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ssb said:

With Liberty coming out of dry dock , no telling what changes will be done on Liberty . 

We are booked on Liberty June 2022 from Galveston and will be looking forward to what updates/upgrades were done during the maintenance in Cadiz starting next month.

47 minutes ago, StrikeEagle said:

that is right, according to the lady on the phone Liberty will be back in Galveston after September that means Liberty will be back in October 2021.

Liberty is still departing out of Galveston on September 26th.  

So for those (like us and @HicksRA) booked on the 9/19 Liberty (now Independence) cruise, that SEEMS to be the last cruise for the Independence out of Galveston.  The C&A person we talked to couldn't see the 9/19 cruise or anything after that for the Independence, but could see the other Independence cruises in Galveston through 9/11.  We're  gonna wait until June 8th when they actually move us from the Liberty to the Independence which will hopefully unlock the Liberty and Independence cruises around that date and get our back-to-back situation ironed out.

we are on the liberty 8/15 wife was checking the 20 cruises we have and the first one we looked  at said the voyage has been cancelled that was 8/15 on the liberty I though they where just going to shift us over to independence ? has been cancelled freaks us out and your travel agent is not in until sunday

1 hour ago, trippintex said:

we are on the liberty 8/15 wife was checking the 20 cruises we have and the first one we looked  at said the voyage has been cancelled that was 8/15 on the liberty I though they where just going to shift us over to independence ? has been cancelled freaks us out and your travel agent is not in until sunday

Mine shows cancelled as well, but it will be rescheduled on Indy. 
Don’t freak out just yet. 

Edited by HicksRA

3 hours ago, trippintex said:

Mine RCI online accout shows it is also cancelled,  but RCI C&A said it will be transfer to Indenpendence and according to the email it should be transfer on June 8th.

Edited by StrikeEagle

15 hours ago, StrikeEagle said:

according to the lady on the phone.....

That lady told me we would be sailing Aug and Oct of 2020. Again Feb and May 2021...the lady was WRONG.

• Haha 1

We are on the September 19 sailing as well , I’m ok with the change, extra day is all good , have been in contact with my TA , I had the Ben and Jerry suite book and want to retain it , have been on liberty before , but never Indy so adds another ship in the fleet to my list of ones I’ve sailed on .

getting use to chances , have had two transatlantic cruises canceled , now replaced with trans attic 

Hey at least were returning to sailing

Wishing we had booked the September 19 sailing, I'd love an extra free day. As it is we're on the September 12 sailing. Ah well.

Hoping our UDP transfers over, I'm guessing it won't and we'll be expected to repurchase it at the new higher price. Was debating getting it in the first place (wasn't too impressed last time we had it on Liberty), but bit the bullet and now we're getting Independence with Izumi and Playmakers? It'll definitely be worth it now!

Edited by circuitrider

We just got the news that our Explorer out of Galveston in Oct moved to Independence. We are thrilled! I just found a great vlog of Independence sailing into Galveston for the first time ever!  Great video and makes me super excited!!

18 minutes ago, SarahASL said:

We just got the news that our Explorer out of Galveston in Oct moved to Independence. We are thrilled! I just found a great vlog of Independence sailing into Galveston for the first time ever!  Great video and makes me super excited!.

Hi, what October date is this?  My booking is through a TA who is not in Until Monday.

would you mind showing a pic of the copy of your email - are they automatically moving us over, and will the sail dates remain the same 

thanks!