Allure 7 day cruise or Odyssey 13 day TA

I know sounds easy right, had plans to go on Harmony this year in Europe, Ports would have been, Leaving from Rome,.......Naples,  Barcelona, Palma DeMallora Spain, Provence, France.. Florence/Pisa

Switching to 2022........ 7 Nights(Rome to Rome) if we can eventully Lift and Shift(September 2021 which still may be canceled, unknown at this time, would be in an Owners Suite)

So ship now would be Allure of the Seas for 2022, same ports above.

Or Odyssey of the Seas  13 day TA  (Rome to Fort Lauderdale)  would be in a regular Balcony cabin w/larger balcony

Florence/Pisa...Valencia, Spain....Malaga, Spain and Maderia/Portugal

Both cruise fares are about the same price.............airfare most likley less on tthe Transatlantic because ending in Fort Lauderdale.

So Port wise are we really missing alot by taking the Transatlantic?

First time cruising in Europe too.

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I know sounds easy right, had plans to go on Harmony this year in Europe, Ports would have been, Leaving from Rome,.......Naples,  Barcelona, Palma DeMallora Spain, Provence, France.. Florence/Pisa

Switching to 2022........ 7 Nights(Rome to Rome) if we can eventully Lift and Shift(September 2021 which still may be canceled, unknown at this time, would be in an Owners Suite)

Or Odyssey of the Seas  13 day TA  (Rome to Fort Lauderdale)  would be in a regular Balcony cabin w/larger balcony

Both cruise fares are about the same price.............airfare most likley less on tthe Transatlantic because ending in Fort Lauderdale.

We have done the western med cruise you are currently booked on 4 times. In my opinion you are not missing a lot by dropping palma and Marseille (don't get me wrong- both are very nice ports , with plenty to see and do - but there are many other similar ports). By dropping Barcelona and Naples , you are missing 2 of the best ports in the Med. Barcelona is just a fantastic city , so much to see and I consider it quite unique. We have stayed in it 3 times now pre cruise , and still find many new things to see. Naples itself is no big deal , but its proximity to Pompeii , Sorrento and the Amalfi coast is its appeal. Pompeii speaks for itself- just fascinating.  The Amalfi coast is the most beautiful region we have ever come across on any of our travels , and we actually have stayed in Sorrento several times now , after discovering it on our first cruise!

However- to try and see all this in a week is very draining - we were exhausted after our first Western med cruise (hence repeating it several times!). You are starting in Rome for both cruises - this is another amazing city - the history is phenomenal.

If I were in your position I would go for Odyssey - you still have Rome as the starting point (I assume you are planning to stay for a few days pre cruise - you need to) , and you have a few really nice European ports to visit on a brand new ship (Madeira is a stunning island).

Then make a point of coming back to Europe again to do the original planned route with Barcelona and Naples.

Just my opinion- hope it is of some help!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trixie21 said:

We have done the western med cruise you are currently booked on 4 times. In my opinion you are not missing a lot by dropping palma and Marseille (don't get me wrong- both are very nice ports , with plenty to see and do - but there are many other similar ports). By dropping Barcelona and Naples , you are missing 2 of the best ports in the Med. Barcelona is just a fantastic city , so much to see and I consider it quite unique. We have stayed in it 3 times now pre cruise , and still find many new things to see. Naples itself is no big deal , but its proximity to Pompeii , Sorrento and the Amalfi coast is its appeal. Pompeii speaks for itself- just fascinating.  The Amalfi coast is the most beautiful region we have ever come across on any of our travels , and we actually have stayed in Sorrento several times now , after discovering it on our first cruise!

However- to try and see all this in a week is very draining - we were exhausted after our first Western med cruise (hence repeating it several times!). You are starting in Rome for both cruises - this is another amazing city - the history is phenomenal.

If I were in your position I would go for Odyssey - you still have Rome as the starting point (I assume you are planning to stay for a few days pre cruise - you need to) , and you have a few really nice European ports to visit on a brand new ship (Madeira is a stunning island).

Then make a point of coming back to Europe again to do the original planned route with Barcelona and Naples.

Just my opinion- hope it is of some help!

Thanks, yes we would be planning 2 or 3 nights pre in Rome. Alot is going to hinge I think if we can still get the Owners Suite for Lifting and Shifting from September 2021 to 2022..........If we can't and all we end up with is a FCC, then we put that money toward the 13 nighter.

One thing we know for sure we are not going to Europe for our first time under these conditions on the ship and in the ports in September 2021.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What's your goal Jimbo?

To "see" Europe for the first time?

Or to sit in the Diamond Lounge for hours on a TA?

If it's the second, don't bother with Europe... just go to Cococay and Cozumel for the millionth time and stay on the ship. Much much much much much easier and much less expensive.

If your goal is to see Europe, than I have a couple of questions for you.... Do you remember exactly your meals and your exact cabin in every cruise you took in 2016? How about which hallways you walked down? The lunch you had and where? And who the magician was on night #4 in the theatre?

5 years from now in 2026, I GUARANTEE you will remember standing in the Colosseum, sitting in a Gondola in Venice being serenaded with your wife, walking through Pompeii....these are the pictures you'll have up in your hallway or your mantle.... or do you have pictures of MDR food above your fireplace?

Suggestion from me...

Do your 3 day Rome pre-cruise

Do the 7-day Allure to get you that cruising "fix"

Instead of wasting another week on a TA, take the fast train to Florence for 4 days and then on to Venice for 3 days. memories that will last you until the day you die and you'll be telling all your friends and family about it 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

What's your goal Jimbo?

If it's the second, don't bother with Europe... just go to Cococay and Cozumel for the millionth time and stay on the ship. Much much much much much easier and much less expensive.

If your goal is to see Europe, than I have a couple of questions for you.... Do you remember exactly your meals and your exact cabin in every cruise you took in 2016? How about which hallways you walked down? The lunch you had and where? And who the magician was on night #4 in the theatre?

5 years from now in 2026, I GUARANTEE you will remember standing in the Colosseum, sitting in a Gondola in Venice being serenaded with your wife, walking through Pompeii....these are the pictures you'll have up in your hallway or your mantle.... or do you have pictures of MDR food above your fireplace?

Suggestion from me...

Instead of wasting another week on a TA, take the fast train to Florence for 4 days and then on to Venice for 3 days. memories that will last you until the day you die and you'll be telling all your friends and family about it 

Goal definetly is to "See" Europe for the first time

Not interested in seeing Coco Cay and Cozumel for the millionth time

Sitting in the Diamond lounge is not our goal. Not a big interest for us.

I had talked to my wife before about just going there and doing a land tour ourselves only, no cruise.

What's the fast train? Just how fast from Rome to Florence and from there to Venice.

This sounds good, but we would need a professional planner probably to pull this off. Land tour Rome, Cruise and then Land Tour to Florence and Venice?

Can I hire you to be the planner? Won't be until 2022 now so you have time?

It's true all the sea days on the end of the TA would have been terrible..........but it would have saved us a long flight home.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

JMO the Mediterranean cruise is a must if you're going to be in the area. However, missing out on Barcelona (which IMO, there's enough to do for a full week in the city and surrounding areas) and the French Riviera are big minuses. So, fwiw, I'd go for 2-3 weeks to EU, take a eastern med cruise, then spend two weeks in the Italian, French and Spanish riviera by land.

39 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

What's your goal Jimbo?

Suggestion from me...

Bravo! Great advice.

I backpacked all over Europe...used the train...Eurail...for a few months in 1985.

The French Open is on now...and my relatives couldn't believe it when I told them that I watched the French Open tennis in 1985, I was in the stadium in Roland Garros...Yannich Noah vs Henry LeConte.  And when the match was over, I went down to the court and took a handful of red clay that I still have to this day.

You will be busy, exhausted, and tired wherever you visit in Europe...but each day will be memorable but only a "taste".  Imagine your stop for Florence/Pisa...most cruisers try to see both in one day...Ok, for Pisa an hour there is fine.  Take the customary picture leaning against the Tower of Pisa and you're done.  But rushing through the streets of Florence and then rushing back to the ship is, JMHO, "pazzo".  We love cruising Europe...relaxing and unpacking only once...but just a friendly reminder that what you'll experience will be limited.  And yes, you can always go back.

You could do both, that is what we are now booked on. Seven nights in the med then stay on the ship for the TA back to fll. We have been to the Med a few times, three doing a TA from either Rome or Barcelona. The Med part no big deal, we now go to Europe for the TA back home. Seven night cruise through the Med is not worth the airfare. So to get the haters riled up I would say the TA is far more enjoyable to us than the 7 night.  Spending 3 hours a night for 14 nights in the DL is right up my alley. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

You could do both, that is what we are now booked on. Seven nights in the med then stay on the ship for the TA back to fll. We have been to the Med a few times, three doing a TA from either Rome or Barcelona. The Med part no big deal, we now go to Europe for the TA back home. Seven night cruise through the Med is not worth the airfare. So to get the haters riled up I would say the TA is far more enjoyable to us than the 7 night.  Spending 3 hours a night for 14 nights in the DL is right up my alley. 

Not sure we can get away for 3 weeks. But I like your idea in less @Hoopster95 comes up with an landtour/cruise/land tour combo itinerary for me

Edited by Jimbo

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Goal definetly is to "See" Europe for the first time

Yaaaaaaay!!!! Bravo Jimbo

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What's the fast train? Just how fast from Rome to Florence and from there to Venice.

This sounds good, but we would need a professional planner probably to pull this off. Land tour Rome, Cruise and then Land Tour to Florence and Venice?

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html 

(change language top right corner to English)

Super super super easy... taking the train in Italy is like taking the bus in America.

2 hours to Florence and another 1 1/2 hours to Venice... easy peasy.

Italy is extremely easy to plan on your own, as easy as going to New York... just like booking 9/11 tower, Statue of LIberty, planning a dinner in Little italy or China Town, heading up Rockefeller Center, etc etc etc ... everything in Italy can be preplanned and booked on line

I highly recommend Dark Rome tours (google them). They have special night-time access, as well as 1 hour early before the general public access, into the Sistine Chapel. They also do the Colosseum underground tours. They also work Florence and Venice. Plenty of English speaking giudes and companies

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

3 days pre-cruise:

Colosseum underground tour combo with Palentine Hill. CDo not  miss Piazza Venezia and going up to enjoy the glorious view atop the Victor Emmanual II Monument

Walk through central Rome visiting Trevi Fountain, Pantheon & Piazza Navona

One full day at St Peter's area and Sistine Chapel... try to include Castel St. Angelo on this day.

You must walk through Trastevere neighborhood across the river.

Also an absolute must for anyone who loves art at all: Borghese Museum is utterly outstanding and mind blowing, Piazza Del Popollo and area, close to Spanish Steps.

Then go on your cruise

Get off the ship at Civitavecchia. Hire a private tour company to take you to: Orvietto or Viterbo and then maybe a wine tour?.... arriving Florence early evening for check in and relax. Visit both Siena and San Gemianno from Florence on another day(1 hour there and back) on a full day excursion. 

2 days in Florence. MUST MUST MUST go to the Uffizi Galleries, Il Duomo Cathedral, Boboli Gardens. There's also Pitti Palace and the Statue of David (remake) at Piazzale Michelangelo with an incredible view of the city. A wine tour (Chianti) into Tuscany would be awesome as well.

Then train to Venice... 2 days in Venice is easy. walk, mingle, have coffee, shop, take it easy at the end of your trip. You can either fast train back to Rome (4hours) and then take flight from Rome, or fly out of Venice

Google all the stuff above... look at google images... pick what's important for you...

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

My invoice is in the mail 😉

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Super super super easy... taking the train in Italy is like taking the bus in America.

Italy is extremely easy to plan on your own, as easy as going to New York... just like booking 9/11 tower, Statue of LIberty, planning a dinner in Little italy or China Town, heading up Rockefeller Center, etc etc etc ... everything in Italy can be preplanned and booked on line

I highly recommend Dark Rome tours (google them). They have special night-time access, as well as 1 hour early before the general public access, into the Sistine Chapel. They also do the Colosseum underground tours. They also work Florence and Venice. Plenty of English speaking giudes and companies

3 days pre-cruise:

Colosseum underground tour combo with Palentine Hill. CDo not  miss Piazza Venezia and going up to enjoy the glorious view atop the Victor Emmanual II Monument

One full day at St Peter's area and Sistine Chapel... try to include Castel St. Angelo on this day.

Also an absolute must for anyone who loves art at all: Borghese Museum is utterly outstanding and mind blowing, Piazza Del Popollo and area, close to Spanish Steps.

Then go on your cruise

Get off the ship at Civitavecchia. Hire a private tour company to take you to: Orvietto or Viterbo and then maybe a wine tour?.... arriving Florence early evening for check in and relax. Visit both Siena and San Gemianno from Florence on another day(1 hour there and back) on a full day excursion. 

2 days in Florence. MUST MUST MUST go to the Uffizi Galleries, Il Duomo Cathedral, Boboli Gardens. There's also Pitti Palace and the Statue of David (remake) at Piazzale Michelangelo with an incredible view of the city. A wine tour (Chianti) into Tuscany would be awesome as well.

Then train to Venice... 2 days in Venice is easy. walk, mingle, have coffee, shop, take it easy at the end of your trip. You can either fast train back to Rome (4hours) and then take flight from Rome, or fly out of Venice

Google all the stuff above... look at google images... pick what's important for you...

Wow lots of infomation there.............how about we go the same time as you next time and we just tag along  and follow your foot steps.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What is the sailing the week before the TA on Odyssey?  Maybe do a b2b, if too expensive then maybe downgrade to a GS or JS for one leg of the trip.  Most of the med cruises are port intensive so it would be nice to relax and enjoy the odyssey on way back to US.

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What is the sailing the week before the TA on Odyssey?  Maybe do a b2b, if too expensive then maybe downgrade to a GS or JS for one leg of the trip.  Most of the med cruises are port intensive so it would be nice to relax and enjoy the odyssey on way back to US.

With those 2 dates, there would be no chance of Lifting and Shifting, because those dates aren't even close to our original sailing date. So this would just be using money from the original sailing date.

We would probably just book a regular balcony for each.

Edit:

Just checked, not looking good. It would have to be a B3B because there is a 3 day sailing before the TA....starts in Rome and goes to Barcelona, 1 stop Naples..........so it would need to be 7 dayer, 3 days and then the 13 day TA...........Not sure I like that.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

With those 2 dates, there would be no chance of Lifting and Shifting, because those dates aren't even close to our original sailing date. So this would just be using money from the original sailing date.

We would probably just book a regular balcony for each.

Edit:

Just checked, not looking good. It would have to be a B3B because there is a 3 day sailing before the TA....starts in Rome and goes to Barcelona, 1 stop Naples..........so it would need to be 7 dayer, 3 days and then the 13 day TA...........Not sure I like that.

OMG,  I would love that.   When I fly to Europe I like to make worth my time and stay for as long as I can and see as much as I can.     If you did the 7, 3, 13 day scenario you may visit some ports twice, but that would be even better since there is a lot to see and do in Europe.     

Look you only live once (as far we know LOL) I say go for it, do it, Enjoy it!

Maybe do a balcony cabin for the 7 and 3 day legs then switch up to a JS for the TA portion as having the extra space for the TA would be nice and moving cabins is easy to do.   

24 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

OMG,  I would love that.   When I fly to Europe I like to make worth my time and stay for as long as I can and see as much as I can.     If you did the 7, 3, 13 day scenario you may visit some ports twice, but that would be even better since there is a lot to see and do in Europe.     

Look you only live once (as far we know LOL) I say go for it, do it, Enjoy it!

Maybe do a balcony cabin for the 7 and 3 day legs then switch up to a JS for the TA portion as having the extra space for the TA would be nice and moving cabins is easy to do.   

Okay, confused myself, 7 dayer on Allure October 20th(Rome to Rome), then 3 dayer on Allure October  27th(Rome to Barcelona, only 1 port which would be a Naples Do-over).......would be a day layover on Barcelona....then jump on Odyssey of the Seas on October 31st( Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale) for 13 Nights Transatlantic(Florence/Pisa would be the only Port Do-over)(No Suites Available) have to be just a regular Balcony Cabin.

Edited by Jimbo

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Okay, confused myself, 7 dayer on Allure October 20th(Rome to Rome), then 3 dayer on Allure October  27th(Rome to Barcelona, only 1 port which would be a Naples Do-over).......would be a day layover on Barcelona....then jump on Odyssey of the Seas on October 31st( Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale) for 13 Nights Transatlantic(Florence/Pisa would be the only Port Do-over)(No Suites Available) have to be just a regular Balcony Cabin.

sorry I misunderstood as I thought you would be on same ship the entire time.   

To me the 7 / 3 days on Allure sounds great then a layover in Barcelona to wander around and enjoy their beautiful city then hop on Odyssey for a TA to FL sounds wonderful, a regular balcony would be okay.   I think I could torture myself for that trip - LOL!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

sorry I misunderstood as I thought you would be on same ship the entire time.   

To me the 7 / 3 days on Allure sounds great then a layover in Barcelona to wander around and enjoy their beautiful city then hop on Odyssey for a TA to FL sounds wonderful, a regular balcony would be okay.   I think I could torture myself for that trip - LOL!

Just figured it up, all regular balconies, no suites.........Cruise fare and taxes $7835.00

Pre stay in Rome 2 or 3 nights...........1 night in Barcelona and all excursions/tours would be additional............plus Airfare one way to Rome and FLL to Virginia area(North Caroilina)I'm closer to North Carolina then DC area.

Still thinking if we can still lift and shift going Hoopster95 way of touring the area we would see alot more for pretty much the same price or less.....and still end up with the Owners Suite for the 7 day cruise. All hinges though if they let us Lift and Shift if our sailing gets cancelled.

Edited by Jimbo

On 6/5/2021 at 7:34 PM, Hoopster95 said:

3 days pre-cruise:

Then go on your cruise

Hoopster95

Thinking maybe now just cancel the L&S Owner Suite and just take my deposit of  $500 FCC and uses it to pay for some of my other future cruises I have booked and JUST DO A LAND TOUR IN ITALY

Something like this one, what are your thoughts?

https://www.goaheadtours.com/guided-tours/grand-tour-of-italy

Do some other Tour Companies do a better job, have you ever taken Land tours like this in other countries for a week to 2 weeks?

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Do some other Tour Companies do a better job, have you ever taken Land tours like this in other countries for a week to 2 weeks?

This is a brilliant idea Jimbo! Keep in mind that you just cannot possibly see everything in Italy in 2 weeks.

This itinerary is very good (you really need the extra two day Rome extension), however it'll be super busy with lots of travel time from south to north (rather than just concentrating on the northern part of Italy Venice to Rome with Tuscany in between)....

Lake Como I feel is more for those who haven't see the other areas of Italy. For example, rather than starting in Milan I feel it would be best to start in Venice and then work your way down. I like the idea that they give you a free day in Florence & Assissi..... so so so much to do in those free days! So this is great planning by this tour company as it allows to set up private excursions on those free days (ie. Florence to Pisa or San Gemignano... Assissi to Siena and Orvieto... this is a must imho)

What kind of travel is this? Bus/coach? Train? How about accommodations?

Is it 3 star? 4? 5?

There are several other "mainstream" group tour companies to compare... I suspect I'm not allowed to name them here. Price compare more expensive 4 or 5 star brands... Careful when comparing look at the inclusions, you may find much better value in a higher brand tour company.... for more $$$ however but you get exactly what you want, when you want it and where... no waiting on anyone else. All depends what you want and for what price. 

Have a fabulous time planning this... I'm truly excited for you that you're looking at this option.

21 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

This is a brilliant idea Jimbo! Keep in mind that you just cannot possibly see everything in Italy in 2 weeks.

This itinerary is very good (you really need the extra two day Rome extension), however it'll be super busy with lots of travel time from south to north (rather than just concentrating on the northern part of Italy Venice to Rome with Tuscany in between)....

Lake Como I feel is more for those who haven't see the other areas of Italy. For example, rather than starting in Milan I feel it would be best to start in Venice and then work your way down. I like the idea that they give you a free day in Florence & Assissi..... so so so much to do in those free days! So this is great planning by this tour company as it allows to set up private excursions on those free days (ie. Florence to Pisa or San Gemignano... Assissi to Siena and Orvieto... this is a must imho)

What kind of travel is this? Bus/coach? Train? How about accommodations?

Is it 3 star? 4? 5?

There are several other "mainstream" group tour companies to compare... I suspect I'm not allowed to name them here. Price compare more expensive 4 or 5 star brands... Careful when comparing look at the inclusions, you may find much better value in a higher brand tour company.... for more $$$ however but you get exactly what you want, when you want it and where... no waiting on anyone else. All depends what you want and for what price. 

Have a fabulous time planning this... I'm truly excited for you that you're looking at this option.

Looks like Tauck Tours and Kensington Tours are the elite Tours..........Need to maybe find one in the middle of the one I first listed and the 2 above........May not be easy find a tour that wants to start in Venice and head south though, most seem to want to go south to north.

Edited by Jimbo