Florida resident here a little confused over C19 protocol.

Ok, so local news this morning stated that RCCL will not require proof of vaccination sailing out of Florida and Texas due to Governors executive orders. 5000.00 fine every time if they ask for proof…..but they put this statement out Friday “Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date," Royal Caribbean said on Friday. So if legally they can’t ask how can they undergo “testing protocols”? Is it just going to be another question on form before boarding? Like the one now? Have you been sick etc in last few days?

I’ll start off by saying, no one knows 100% except for Royal Caribbean. And that’s changing weekly. 

From your quote you provided, I’d say it sounds like you’ll be doing a COVID test if you can’t prove you’re vaccinated. 

Edited by 100viper
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, lampskies said:

Ok, so local news this morning stated that RCCL will not require proof of vaccination sailing out of Florida and Texas due to Governors executive orders. 5000.00 fine every time if they ask for proof…..but they put this statement out Friday “Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date," Royal Caribbean said on Friday. So if legally they can’t ask how can they undergo “testing protocols”? Is it just going to be another question on form before boarding? Like the one now? Have you been sick etc in last few days?

Lol texas law doesnt prohibit cruiselines asking for vaccines status. Only florida. Texas law applies to state funded institutions like colleges. First sailings are also out of texas, but we dont prohibit asking. Dont know if your news is wrong or you misunderstood. 

It is true both texas and florida are announced for first sailings. 

I also heard those not vaccinated will be tested at boarding. .. odd it's the news not coming from rcl.

Stick around, the protocols change weekly. 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, lampskies said:

So if legally they can’t ask how can they undergo “testing protocols”?

Easy solution.

ALL passengers undergo testing and other protocols HOWEVER if you voluntarily submit proof of vaccination you are

•  not required to undergo testing or other protocols.
  • Issued a colored bracelet to be worn throughout cruise to assist crew in identifying who is not required to wear masks or other protocols.
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

Easy solution.

ALL passengers undergo testing and other protocols HOWEVER if you voluntarily submit proof of vaccination you are

• Issued a colored bracelet to be worn throughout cruise to assist crew in identifying who is not required to wear masks or other protocols.

I wonder if this would work..

1 hour ago, Ravbo said:

Easy solution.

agree!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 100viper said:

I’ll start off by saying, no one knows 100% except for Royal Caribbean. And that’s changing weekly. 

From your quote you provided, I’d say it sounds like you’ll be doing a COVID test if you can’t prove you’re vaccinated. 

But how do you prove vaccination status without running afoul of the FL law

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

But how do you prove vaccination status without running afoul of the FL law

Give people the option to show it to get out of testing. At that point RC isn’t asking for it, the passenger is voluntarily supplying the information. 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, 100viper said:

Give people the option to show it to get out of testing. At that point RC isn’t asking for it, the passenger is voluntarily supplying the information. 

Possibly, but that goes against the spirit of the law. The whole point is to avoid creating two classes of people. Haves and have nots, so to speak

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This opt in/opt out procedure is what some of the employers in Chicago are asking of their employees so it is a voluntary option. You can be vaccinated and opt out because you don't want to share medical information with a company. You would just then have to follow their specific COVID protocols. If you opt in, voluntarily, you get to not wear a mask and not get tested. Simple. Effective. It's what should be done and probably will be done. 

• Like 4

Adventure cruises from the Bahamas are set up this way:  

Bahamas requires a PCR test within 5 days of country entry except if one can show proof of vax.

Royal then requires testing at check-in unless passenger shows proof of vax.  

All vax passengers are then exempt from Covid protocols on the ship.  

Edited by gadaboutgal

2 hours ago, lampskies said:

Ok, so local news this morning stated that RCCL will not require proof of vaccination sailing out of Florida and Texas due to Governors executive orders. 5000.00 fine every time if they ask for proof

I don’t believe RCL has said this. This is strictly from media and those against our Governor.

This is my opinion, Royal is a family oriented cruise line and they couldn’t meet the 95% with kids included in the count. Mr Fain more or less said this in his last update. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Possibly, but that goes against the spirit of the law. The whole point is to avoid creating two classes of people. Haves and have nots, so to speak

I don't know that I agree with that...those without the vaccine are not being denied service, but the people who voluntarily offer it are getting additional services.

Those who book a concierge room are voluntarily giving the cruise line something (money) and getting additional services in return, access to areas of the ship that others don't have access to (lounges, etc). Same here, if you voluntarily give them proof of vaccine (which IS LEGAL TO DO) then you get something in return.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ravbo said:

Easy solution.

I kind of like that idea, passengers 16+ and then 12+ in august must have daily brain cleaning but if you wish to show us your CDC card, you get a special band and don't need to have the daily brain cleaning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

I don't know that I agree with that...those without the vaccine are not being denied service, but the people who voluntarily offer it are getting additional services.

Those who book a concierge room are voluntarily giving the cruise line something (money) and getting additional services in return, access to areas of the ship that others don't have access to (lounges, etc). Same here, if you voluntarily give them proof of vaccine (which IS LEGAL TO DO) then you get something in return.

I’m with John @John&LaLa on this. It’s very clear what the intent of the law is for. Anything to do with showing some proof goes against the law. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We don't know the spirit of the law, some my argue the spirit of the law was to solidify his base for reelection.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, M8VER3 said:

I’m with John @John&LaLa on this. It’s very clear what the intent of the law is for. Anything to do with showing some proof goes against the law. 

Regardless, the law does not make it illegal to ask for proof, and does not make it illegal for proof to be shown. It is illegal to REQUIRE proof. That is all.

If the FL legislature would like to change the language of the law to cover more, that is their right.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, M8VER3 said:

The other perspective here is jurisdiction. FL has argued that they have jurisdiction on controlling who can get on the ship based on vax status. Fair enough, I know some argue against this but there is at least some logic to this argument.

They most certainly have no jurisdiction as to what a cruise line asks for, and what services they provide or deny while onboard as soon as that ship is 12 miles out at sea.

People can argue letter of law, intent of the law all they want. Once you have left FL, there is nothing that law can do.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Regardless, the law does not make it illegal to ask for proof, and does not make it illegal for proof to be shown. It is illegal to REQUIRE proof. That is all.

If the FL legislature would like to change the language of the law to cover more, that is their right.

We got to agree to that we have different opinions. Peace

Just now, M8VER3 said:

We got to agree to that we have different opinions. Peace

Yep. Neither of us are right or wrong, just a different perspective. All is good.

In the end, neither of us have any control over this. We are just along for the ride.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

The other perspective here is jurisdiction. FL has argued that they have jurisdiction on controlling who can get on the ship based on vax status. Fair enough, I know some argue against this but there is at least some logic to this argument.

They most certainly have no jurisdiction as to what a cruise line asks for, and what services they provide or deny while onboard as soon as that ship is 12 miles out at sea.

People can argue letter of law, intent of the law all they want. Once you have left FL, there is nothing that law can do.

Obviously, this is your opinion. I respect that. I just disagree. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Lol texas law doesnt prohibit cruiselines asking for vaccines status. Only florida. Texas law applies to state funded institutions like colleges. First sailings are also out of texas, but we dont prohibit asking. Dont know if your news is wrong or you misunderstood. 

It is true both texas and florida are announced for first sailings. 

I also heard those not vaccinated will be tested at boarding. .. odd it's the news not coming from rcl.

Stick around, the protocols change weekly. 

Not so fast. It governs any public OR private entity that has received one dime of taxpayer money - think Port of Galveston.

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

This sounds correct.