Richard Fain, RCG CEO, discusses vaccination strategies during restart of cruising

22 hours ago, stowite said:

Actually I think this is how they are going to get around the vaccine passport issue in FL.  The policy will be that everyone gets COVID tested to board but you can be exempted from the testing if you choose to show your vaccine card.  I also think the unvaccinated will have additional COVID testing and that there will be a charge for the testing if you were eligible to be vaccinated and chose not to be vaccinated.

I think the extra charge for testing would be a good incentive for cruisers to get vaccinated.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

This scenario (first 5% then, cut everyone else out) would probably not be very popular.  Since most Suite guests check in first, then Suites would seem to get priority and non-suites would be SOL ?  I can't imagine this working

Oil wrestling contest among the unvaccinated if there's too many for the available slots onboard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

This scenario (first 5% then, cut everyone else out) would probably not be very popular.  Since most Suite guests check in first, then Suites would seem to get priority and non-suites would be SOL ?  I can't imagine this working

It had been suggested that this could be done during pre-registration. Nevertheless, you’d be taking a chance. 

6 hours ago, rbschultz said:

This is what I'm expecting. All pax required to check-in online prior to arriving so that they won't be asked for vaccine confirmation at the port.

And I wonder if RCI adding the vaccine question to the during online check-in is why we aren't able to check-in online for our Set Sail passes.  We are 75 days out.  

Edited by SherriZ366

On 6/7/2021 at 7:16 PM, shutterbug63 said:

That makes sense. Once they're out of Florida, Florida's restrictions about vaccines don't apply. I didn't think of that.

But the ship has sailed by that time. You could wind up with a ship with only 50% vaccinated and then what?  

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Update from Celebrity - Florida departures have vaccination proof as an optional step. However, they still still sail at no less than 95% vaccinated. You'll pay for your own testing and must wear a mask everywhere outside of meals/drinking and your cabin. If you aren't willing or can't show proof at check-in and that 5% is full, you're not getting on the ship. 

Everywhere else, vaccination proof is required. 

What a convoluted mess to get around a totally unnecessary “ban”.  They still have to certify a 95% vaccinated passenger cohort to the CDC or they’re not going to sail.  So they don’t “require” proof, but if you don’t show up with proof you may not get on the ship.  Anyone wanting to sail unvaccinated hopes that they will arrive in port in time to be among the 5% and take the risk of being turned away. Happy campers!  If they do get on board they are the odd man out, subject to restrictions like some sort of marked leper.  Do they wear an identifier of some type that they are unvaccinated? Meanwhile everyone gets to enjoy the unvaccinated passenger lottery at the port. They obviously have some very creative legal counsel here, but again, what a mess.  So how do they plan on meeting the 95% without some prior knowledge of individual passenger status?  Do they ask online or just hope for the best at the port?  

Edited by harkinmr

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

What a convoluted mess to get around a totally unnecessary “ban”.  They still have to certify a 95% vaccinated passenger cohort to the CDC or they’re not going to sail.  So they they don’t “require” proof, but if you don’t show up with proof you may not get on the ship.  Anyone wanting to sail unvaccinated hopes that they will arrive in port in time to be among the 5% and take the risk of being turned away. Happy campers!  If they do get on board they are the odd man out, subject to restrictions like some sort of marked leper.  Do they wear some sort of identifier that they are unvaccinated?  Happy campers!  Meanwhile everyone gets to enjoy the unvaccinated passenger lottery at the port. They obviously have some very creative legal counsel here, but again, what a mess.  So how do they plan on meeting the 95% without some prior knowledge of individual passenger status?  Do they ask online or just hope for the best at the port?  

I'm waiting for someone in the Florida government to have a press conference saying that this does not count and they are still fining.

If you are unvaccinated and denied boarding because they've already reached the 5%, how does that not violate the law?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

Oil wrestling contest among the unvaccinated if there's too many for the available slots onboard.

Yes!

I will refrain from saying anything else in fear of being removed from CC.

• Haha 1

Just now, jrapps said:

I'm waiting for someone in the Florida government to have a press conference saying that this does not count and they are still fining.

If you are unvaccinated and denied boarding because they've already reached the 5%, how does that not violate the law?

Oops. Maybe legal counsel isn’t so smart? 🙃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Update from Celebrity - Florida departures have vaccination proof as an optional step. However, they still still sail at no less than 95% vaccinated. You'll pay for your own testing and must wear a mask everywhere outside of meals/drinking and your cabin. If you aren't willing or can't show proof at check-in and that 5% is full, you're not getting on the ship. 

Everywhere else, vaccination proof is required. 

I really do love the ingenuity.

Vaccines are "required"... Unless you happen to be from the governor's office or Florida legislature, and then vaccines are not required but oh yeah by the way we only have enough state rooms on the ship to accommodate 5% unvaccinated.

Does anyone really think this is going to fly?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SherriZ366 said:

I think the extra charge for testing would be a good incentive for cruisers to get vaccinated.  

I can just see the cruise planner now.

The Swab

25% off on board price to purchase  "The Swab" unlimited covid testing includes unlimited temperature checks and a gallon of hand sanitizer for the stateroom.  $89.99

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I really do love the ingenuity.

Vaccines are "required"... Unless you happen to be from the governor's office or Florida legislature, and then vaccines are not required but oh yeah by the way we only have enough state rooms on the ship to accommodate 5% unvaccinated.

Does anyone really think this is going to fly?

Umm. No?

6 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Umm. No?

LOL

So I wonder how this translates into Royal ships. They already said they aren't capacity limiting to 5% and are going the test cruise route.

Seems like the only thing from celebrity that they would also do on Royal is charge an exorbitant fee for the covid test. Even the mask requirement isn't a deterrent because everyone will have to wear masks under current CDC guidelines.

Edited by jrapps

10 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Umm. No?

I think its going to fly.  Not only that, if you are one of the lucky 5% you have to deal with an array of exciting trials like testing every time you board and get off the ship at your own expense.  Plus being one of the 5% of the people who have to wear a mask all the time.  This is their way of meeting both goals.  No doubt its ugly, but I can see they really had no choice.  Avoid the fine and then just make it as painful as possible for not volunteering you vaccination information.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, jrapps said:

What law?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jrapps said:

My guess is “Someone” will be on TV tomorrow announcing just that. Fun times ahead. 

10 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I think its going to fly.  Not only that, if you are one of the lucky 5% you have to deal with an array of exciting trials like testing every time you board and get off the ship at your own expense.  Plus being one of the 5% of the people who have to wear a mask all the time.  This is their way of meeting both goals.  No doubt its ugly, but I can see they really had no choice.  Avoid the fine and then just make it as painful as possible for not volunteering you vaccination information.

My question still stands. How do they verify the 95% prior to boarding day? Do they wing it and then cancel the sailing right at the port if they don’t achieve the target?

Edited by harkinmr

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

My question still stands. How do they verify the 95% prior to boarding day? Do they wing it and then cancel the sailing right at the port if they don’t achieve the target?

You'll download their nifty app and scan your covid card.  If you don't then you better be in line early.  They will check whether you uploaded the info and if not and they have reached the 5% you will be denied boarding.  Quite ingenious actually.  Its not about if you've been vaccinated.  Its about have they met their conditions to sail from port.  

Edited by cscurlock
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

You'll download their nifty app and scan you covid card.  If you don't then you better be in line early.

So they still ask for proof, but then say providing it is voluntary? Hmm. Will “Someone” say that violates the “spirit” of the law?  

Edited by harkinmr

3 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

So they still ask for proof, but then say providing it is voluntary? Hmm. Will “Someone” say that violates the “spirit” of the law?  

No they don't ask for proof.  You have to voluntarily upload the images.  If you don't you are considered unvaccinated.  You will still be let on the ship if their 95% threshold has not been met because that is a threshold they have to meet to sail.  There is no asking.  They are don't care if you are vaccinated are not.  They only care about the threshold.  Has nothing to do with the FL law at all.  That is a requirement to sail the ship.

Edited by cscurlock
  • Like 2

Going to end up being a real S$$t Show at check-in...........This won't fly. Who came up with this stupid idea?

They are going to need heavy security at check-in. It will get ugly for sure.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Going to end up being a real S$$t Show at check-in...........This won't fly. Who came up with this stupid idea?

I'm sure all those unvaccinated people will be lining up to spend all that money on sailings as of 90 days in advance, agree to the contract, just to get to the pier and whine and complain and make a stink and not do what they agreed, especially with the contract saying no refunds if they were to do that, just like currently you are responsible for having a valid passport, et. al., and if you show up without it, you don't get a refund, you don't a future credit. You get waved at by everyone else sailing away. 🙂

Or more fun, they do all that just so they can make a stink, and by then protocols change again, and they're welcomed on board, and they didn't bring anything because they had no expectation to sail, they just wanted to whine and complain and protest. And again no refund, no future cruise credit, just everyone waving goodbye to them.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe a few times but word will get out and others won't waste their time. It naturally works itself out and is quite brilliant IMO. 

• Like 2