Global Entry Renewals

Keith1010

Forgive me if this has been posted previously.  I think this is my first time visiting the Cruise Air Forum in close to a year.  

Last year we renewed my wife's Global Entry Card and they still wanted another in person interview. At first we couldn't schedule one because offices were shut down due to OVID-19 and it was no big deal as they have extended the time twice for those whose card has expired.  I believe it's now good up to 24 months post expiration.  I was able to schedule an appointment with her and moved it a few times just because we were trying to avoid it due to COVID-19.  A couple of months ago I saw where they also had virtual appointments but they never showed any open.  Two days ago I happened to look and saw appointments only for the next day; yesterday.  I booked the first one I could get and we did it via Zoom. The person was right on time and the process took five minutes.  

It was nice to avoid the trek to and from the airport and to avoid the in person interview.

I believe they just started the virtual interviews this week but I could be wrong.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this information on.

Keith

• Thanks 1

I also wan t to thank you as I was unaware of a virtual interview. we were going to try to have our interview upon our return from an international cruise this fall but this may be even easier. Is the virtual interview on the website or where as I haven't seen it?

Edited by dabear

I had to renew mine during Covid too, back in May. It's awesome that virtual interviews are now running. I'm curious how they determine who does and does not need an interview for renewal - luckily I did not, though I assumed I might (I have an abnormally large number of entries, am a dual citizen, yaddy yaddy yadda). 

I just did the online renewals for our Global Entry passes this evening.  Just wondering how long it will take to get out conditional approval.  Mine does not expire until August and we are not traveling until Feb 2022 so we should have plenty of time.  I hope we can do the virtual interview (or none at all) since it is a 2 hour drive to the nearest interview location.

On 6/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, iflyrc5 said:

I just did the online renewals for our Global Entry passes this evening.  Just wondering how long it will take to get out conditional approval.  Mine does not expire until August and we are not traveling until Feb 2022 so we should have plenty of time.  I hope we can do the virtual interview (or none at all) since it is a 2 hour drive to the nearest interview location.

I did mine last year and my wife's last month. They were both approved within 24 hours and had the new cards within a week. No interview for either one of us. YMMV.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, BBWC said:

Here are some more details on the criteria for qualifying for virtual interviews.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cbp-remote-interview-pilot-program/

Thanks for posting this link!

I have a renewal outstanding and I am wondering after reviewing the criteria whether or not they will call me in.  The photo attached to my account will be more than 10 years old at renewal time. 

Last time I was reapproved without going in.  We will see what happens this time...

On 6/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, iflyrc5 said:

If you do this correctly conditional approval for the renewal should come in about three days.

Your existing one at this point in time is good for up to two years from the renewal date.

They have been opening up a lot more virtual appointments the past few days for July and August.  Last week there were none to be had and as of the other day a lot.

If you do it virtually the process is quick.  Be sure to have your Passport in front of you and if you use a drivers license as a second ID have that too.

Keith

On 6/9/2021 at 8:05 AM, dabear said:

I also wan t to thank you as I was unaware of a virtual interview. we were going to try to have our interview upon our return from an international cruise this fall but this may be even easier. Is the virtual interview on the website or where as I haven't seen it?

You are very welcome.

When you renew your Global Entry and a few days later when you get conditional approval from there you set up your interview if that is required.  Some don't have that requirement.   Assuming you have the requirement when you get your e-mail saying there is a change in status and go to the web site it will say conditional approval and there will be a button to click on to schedule the interview.  If you quality for a virtual interview you will have two choices; in person at the airport or virtual.  Click on virtual and see if there are appointments.  I just posted a couple of minutes ago that the other day there were no virtual interviews but then that changed to lots of them in July and August and a few in June.  

To do the virtual you need to use Zoom.  It is a very efficient process and just have your Passport and if you used a Drivers License as a second ID both with you as you will need them.

Keith

I was talking with my daughter and the her fiancé this weekend and they indicated that immigration officers at the airport were conducting interviews on the spot for returning travelers entering into the US.  They were coming back from Mexico and a person they were travelling with got final approval on the spot.

Here is the link: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

Also, benefits are extended for an additional 18 months for those waiting for an interview:   

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-extends-closure-trusted-traveler-programs-enrollment-centers

That being said, immigration officers have a lot of latitude as well as different levels of knowledge in interpreting these rules.  I know someone who was waiting for their interview and had their card taken at the San Ysidro port of entry while crossing in the SENTRI line.  Probably not an issue for most here, but I would recommend having print outs of the policy when using  Global Entry cards with conditional approval. 

We were conditionally approved to renew our global entry cards a year ago subject to an interview, which were discontinued at that time. We have periodically received notices of instant interview upon an international arrival, but that wasn't useful during the pandemic. We went on the site today & were able to get in person interview (virtual wasn't offered although requested). Anyways since we live reasonably close to one of the airports offering interviews, we obtained an appointment this week. 

Just another datapoint - we applied for renewal on Monday and got conditional approval yesterday. We were able to schedule Zoom interviews for August, which saves us a 200 mile trip to the airport.

Yes for those who mentioned you could go for interview upon arrival to the USA.  It's just not something we wanted to do as we wanted to collect luggage and get home.

I applied for my renewal last week.  Conditional approval the next day and when I went to schedule the virtual interview I had choices for this week, all of July and all of August.  I looked at the schedule this past Monday and you can do this by saying you want to reschedule to see what was there and by then I believe all of July was booked up.  However, no matter what you book you can check back by clicking on reschedule and if someone cancelled or they added more times/dates you could see if you find something earlier.  If you don't, keep what you have.

For my wife the asked about five questions such as what city she was born, what the expiration date was on her passport, and what her passport number was, and what her drivers license number was and they asked since she filled out her application had she been arrested?  It still didn't take much time.

For me he said your application for renewal looked great and he read me my address I said yes and he read my passport expiration date and I said yes and that was it.

You can log on 15 minutes before and about one or two minutes before you start it says you are about to start and for my wife and for myself the interviews began precisely on time.  

So much nicer than having to drive back and forth to airport (one hour each way, getting there early because you don't want to be late, and parking.  

One of the nice things about COVID-19 is that it looked for ways to do things remotely whether that is a doctor going over your results with you by video or in this case doing this via zoom.

If you don't have zoom set up your account (no charge for a basic account), and you can test if by pretending you are having a zoom call with others and just test it by yourself.

Keith

• Thanks 2

My Global Entry is supposed to expire July 2022 so does this mean it is now extended for 2 more years? Or should I renew  in August? During the renewal process do I still maintain my GE benefits? Will my GE number remain the same or do I have to update my profiles? 

How will it work at LGB Port?

Thanks